Sometimes notes won't play in successive clips

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

andrewthomas100

Post by andrewthomas100 »

Wonderful! Problem fixed in version 5.2. Thanks. That's driven me mad for ages.

As you are probably aware, there still seems to be a problem if the first clip overlaps the second clip:

http://www.ipod.org.uk/overlapping.rar
Glaw

Post by Glaw »

I use 5.2 and still have this bug. It just happens sometimes, so i'm gonna try and reproduce it, and then report back.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Yes, if you overlap the clips, then the "note off" command on the first clip will override the "note on" command in the second clip, so make sure they are not overlapping, or just put them on separate tracks.

Greg
Vibrant Audio

Post by Vibrant Audio »

This is an old problem:
http://forums.acoustica.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=5488
http://forums.acoustica.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=4475
http://forums.acoustica.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=3606

Copying and pasting virtual instrument clips often results in a note in the second clip not playing, when that note is playing at the end of the previous clip. In fact, when the problem occurs, even merging the clips will not correct the problem.

With all snap controls on, it seems there is no reason that a note from a prior clip should cut off a note in a subsequent clip. Forcing the user to move notes away from their position and then back again to correct for this seems burdensome. Forcing the user to use multiple tracks to correct for the problem is also not desirable. When a clip is pasted in with snap on, all the notes should just play.

My guess is that there is an issue with precision in how Mixcraft is calculating the length of clicked-in midi notes.

I love Mixcraft and use it daily for my work. I come across this problem so often that I have simply become accustomed to correcting for it. I wish it would get fixed.
*Vibrant Audio*
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Those posts are all referring to Mixcraft 4. You're using Mixcraft 5.2 now, correct? The problem that the original poster of this thread posted had been fixed by version 5.2.

How can I duplicate the problem that you're experiencing in version 5.2, Vibrant Audio? Is it due to the same note on successive clips overlapping?

Greg
Rus

Post by Rus »

I get it, too, but I just simply slide either the individual notes (not necessarily all) within the clip over a few ticks or slide the subsequent clip over a few ticks. Works fine.
Rus

Post by Rus »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

Those posts are all referring to Mixcraft 4. You're using Mixcraft 5.2 now, correct? The problem that the original poster of this thread posted had been fixed by version 5.2.

How can I duplicate the problem that you're experiencing in version 5.2, Vibrant Audio? Is it due to the same note on successive clips overlapping?

Greg
I think you can reproduce this by putting in a string of random notes in two separate clips. Then, go into the details pane for the first clip, checking its length.

Then, in the next clip, slide its length back, so it narrowly sits on top of the previous one.

Example:

Clip One:

Offaet = 1:44:242
Length = 1:58:749

Clip Two: (for sound to play) = Offset + Length (3:2:991 roughly)

If it is not there, (<3:2:991) then the initial sound of this clip won't play. If it still won't play, slide this clip to at least, 3:2:992.

This happens when one in haste accidentally double-clicks, inserting two instances of the same note, which is indicated when the note changes accordingly.

If this sounds difficult, do this with an audio clip, though you'll easily tell when you see the cross-fade cue. (X)

When all else fails, and you should probably do this beforehand anyway, duplicate the track(s) trying to fix the problem. Once you snag it, go back to edit the original track accordingly.

It's all about sliding/nudging.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Can you please submit an Acoustica Support Request and send us a project file that illustrates the problem?

Greg
Vibrant Audio

Post by Vibrant Audio »

I'm using build 152. I looked into this more. The problem occurs when copying and pasting virtual instrument clips. It occurs semi-randomly. It actually seems that the precision of the caret-line is sometimes off.

Here is a file demonstrating the problem:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/55yadusc8 ... roblem.mx5

Here's how to duplicate the problem:
1) Open new project.
2) Change Project Tempo to 95
3) Set Snap To Measure
3) Add new Virtual Instrument Track
4) Double-click to add new clip at beginning of track
5) Click to add several Whole Notes in the clip
6) Copy the clip
7) Click to set the caret-line at the end of the first clip
8) Use Ctrl-V several times to paste successive clips

The clips can be corrected by altering the leading edge of the clip. Either by resizing the clip (dragging the leading edge away and then back), or even by simply clicking on the leading edge. Moving the clip away and then back sometimes fixes the problem.

I'll also submit a support request.
*Vibrant Audio*
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to do that, guys! I was able to duplicate the problem and I've filed a bug report. The secret seems to have been the tempo setting. With a tempo of 120, the problem doesn't occur.

Greg