Ezdrummer

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

packhorse

Ezdrummer

Post by packhorse »

I have looked at most drum applications but I think EZ will be best for me. Can anyone who uses it help me with:

Cheapest place to buy from.

I do mostly dance/trance/techno. Will the basic EZ be sufficient. Are there these types of drums on the basic version or will I then have to fork out for the electronic add on?

Do the drum fills automatically connect with the main track chosen or do you have to manually cut and slice them up.

Does it work well with MC5?

Thanks. Need to get this sorted over the weekend.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I'm not an EZDrummer expert, but I can tell you that it works well with Mixcraft. Lots of our customers use it.

Greg
rbeach

Post by rbeach »

Sweetwater Sound is always my go to vendor. Good knowledgeable people there.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search. ... &go=Search
MixedUp

Post by MixedUp »

I got EZdrummer recently and a great program...you have just missed a sale from Toontrack that was significantly cheaper. I got mine as a download from an authorised eBay supplier for toontrack "audiodeluxe"...you are buying the authorisation key, not the CD. I also got an expanision pack "claustrophobic" for half price and wished i realized they were on sale as they were under $40...oh well...

It is a great program and I could answer some questions if you want...there are lots of 'vids' on yt of course.

Not sure if it is quite the kind of thing you want for dance type music...it's a very good standard rock kit basically...acoustic drums...there is a fair amount of control with mixing and outputing to separate tracks for processing.

It needs to be considered both as great sounding sample VSTi for any midi pattern and as an easy drag and drop 'groove' creator with a huge library of midi clips programmed by real drummers. That said, not much in the way of 'techno/dance' beats in there...but then you can make your own!

I got the claustrophobic extension pack for some more 'modern' sounds and grooves. It includes some quality distorition and other 'effects' and presets plus different groove clips and rolls that can be used with any set.

All the drums come with a variety of 'kits' ambient/dry/default and each drum comes with a choice of different snare, drum and cymbal options...all are multi sampled so there are different sounds on each bit of kit and velocities for a more natural sound...

Here'steh rub though, hugely realisitic sonds and the grooves are real drummers...but is that waht you want for dance like stuff if that's your bag?

It could be, you could add all kinds of EQ's distortions and flanger and compression and gate effects to create more 'electronic' sounds...but there are other tools that could work too...even the sounds within mixcraft can be good, or go old school and find a vst sampler that has drums sounds. I have found a few free basic samplers that work well in MC5 for those old drum machine sounds if that's what you are after...or learn to make or download samples to make your own 'kits'.

I quite like some of the inbuilt drum sounds in MC5, but I do love the VSTi EZD for quality acoustic drum sounds. Been working today on building midi clips and taking clips out of midi files to add to the EZD library of clips. You then just need to drag the midi into the EZD instrument track on MC5 and arrange as required...rearrange or edit the midi as required as things develop...add a cymbal crash here, move a closed hi hat to open as required. Use the piano roll in MC5 to alter velocities to give a bit of variety in dynamics and tones, use the MC5 swing function to give a quantized clip a bit of 'feel'...

hpe that helps, feel free to ask any questions...pete
mikelef

EZ Drummer

Post by mikelef »

MixedUp - We're you able to get the multichannel feature of EZ drummer to work within Mixcraft? I get only the first channel. Stero out on EZ works fine, just not multichannel. Any help is appreciated.
Sungodv

Post by Sungodv »

Packhorse, I think you would be happiest getting the "Electronic" EZX expansion pack with EZdrummer as there isn't any Trance/Techno MIDI loops (beats) or E-Drum samples included with the base software. The original set was geared more towards Pop/Rock using acoustic drums in the samples. If you can, wait until it goes on sale if you want the best price. That said, it's cheaper now than when I got it when it first came out.
Hopefully MixCraft 6 will have multi outs so you can take advantage of the multi channel setup within EZdrummer to allow you to tweak the various drum kit pieces with compressors, etc. on individual tracks. It's a great app to start out with.
Core2 Quad Desktop & XP Pro - Samplitude 11 & Pro X, SONAR 8.5 Producer & Mixcraft 5 for VST's / VSTi's. Toneport UX2 USB Interface. Audio Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Loads of basses, guitars & keyboards.

My Music:

www.soundclick.com/sungod
packhorse

Post by packhorse »

I am really grateful for all of the replies. Today, I have tried the Idrums demo, the Beatstation demo, but I still keep coming back to EZ, because I like the way you can drop fills in and out.

I agree, I ought to wait for the EZ and Electronic bundle when it comes on special offer.

Anyone know how often the special offers occur? Do I keep an eye on the Toontrack site.

Thanks again for all posters.

Happy Easter.

Glynn
MixedUp

Post by MixedUp »

You are right, it does not seem to export sounds, selected from the individual faders on the mixer, to separate tracks with MC5...maybe MC6?...so perhaps another 'limitation'...however, EZD has it's own mixer and with some ezx's effects, not as versatile though and the work around is perhaps not the best and very time consuming to achieve...hmmm

I've not explored the electronic version of EZD but as I say, traditionally it is done with samples and loops and there are a few about, many free, that are designed for this specifically...though don't have that 'drag and drop' midi capability of ezd.

Beatcraft could do something of that ilk though not as integrated as using midi in the DAW. You could import all manner of drum samples for which there are thousands about in that ilk.

I don't think they advertise sales as such, mine was completely coincidentaly when I was buying it, it's worth it if it does what you want for about $120 perhaps...but I think i paid short of $80 plus $40 for the ezx.
Sungodv

Post by Sungodv »

Once you have registered version on Toontrack software, you'll be privy to all their 'sales'.
I suggest the OP keep an eye out via Google or whatever, on what he wants. Also keep an eye on eBay.
Remember that whatever settings you have in the mixer will be permanent. Velocity can be changed however.
Mixcraft needs multi-out, amongst other things, to remain competitive in the DAW marketplace.
Core2 Quad Desktop & XP Pro - Samplitude 11 & Pro X, SONAR 8.5 Producer & Mixcraft 5 for VST's / VSTi's. Toneport UX2 USB Interface. Audio Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Loads of basses, guitars & keyboards.

My Music:

www.soundclick.com/sungod
MixedUp

Post by MixedUp »

I got my EZD and ezx from authorized ebay supplier 'audio deluxe' and just noticed a slight price drop. It is supplied as a download from toontrack and you get the authorization code by email...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWAX:IT

price at the moment...US $116.10 which is 10% off there usual price.

They supply ezxs too so look at the store perhaps. For techno type stuff though, you may want the electronic sounds and grooves as while the drag and drop grooves are typical pop/rock general perpose rolls.

You can however, save your own library of grooves into EZD and I am working on a workflow for this, basically saving midi loops just like those supplied. You can write your own, strip them out of midi song files with MC5 or download any number of midi grooves about the net...
packhorse

Post by packhorse »

How does Jamstix compare with EZ drummer? Does anyone use it?

I am still looking at EZ pluse electronic kit for my dance music unless anyone feels there is something better. I like the felxibility of being able to drag and drop fills etc.

Anyone else use EZ for dance music?

Thanks