Quantize an analog track?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

mandofrog

Quantize an analog track?

Post by mandofrog »

Can MixCraft 5.2 quantize the tempo on an analog track? I know it's simple with MIDI. I didn't think you could do that with an analog track though, until a friend did it very simply in Garage Band. I recorded a 5-string banjo (bluegrass style, staccato 1/16th notes) on a few songs, but I'm not much of a banjo player, so the tempo (and string dynamics) wavers a lot.

Once I ported a .wav of the banjo track to my friend's Macbook, it took him about 90 seconds to set up, and GB detected the tempo and quantized the whole track in one pass.

I'm a Noob, so maybe the function is right under my nose, but I fussed with it for a couple hours and couldn't figure out an easy way in MixCraft.

Any ideas?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

No, Mixcraft doesn't have an option to quantize audio tracks. Are you sure your friend did that in Garageband? I don't think it has a feature like that.

Thanks for the feature suggestion!

Greg
mandofrog

Post by mandofrog »

Thanks for the reply Greg.

My friend is a strong proponent (fanboy?) of GB (and has even conducted some local workshops on using GB for home projects). Yes, it was Garage Band. I'll query him and find out, step-by-step exactly how (& what version software of course), & whether he's got some secret plug-in or something. If I can get screen shots I'll post 'em. Do your developers have access to GB to check it out?

I'm still skeptical, because making that kind of mod to a waveform file would seem to be rather sophisticated; stretching and compressing the timing numerous times in quick succession, while maintaining pitch. And in one real-time pass through? On a 2-year old off-the-shelf Macbook?

He played me another track (mixed instruments and vocals) that he had quantized, and I could detect quite a few anomalies in the sound (little dropouts and stutters), but it made for a steady tempo. A percussive track (like 5-string banjo) could work though, and the anomalies would be completely discrete.

-Randy
mandofrog

Post by mandofrog »

Just found this. Garage Band 11 has apparently added a function called "Flex Time". This will actually quantize the timing of an audio track. Sounds like it may already have been in the upper end DAW's??

But darnit, I don't WANT a Mac (this is kind of compelling though).
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Okay, thanks again for the feature suggestion!

Greg
Bucktail

Re: Quantize an analog track?

Post by Bucktail »

Found this old post while searching the subject and was wondering if there is any work being done to Mixcraft to help with quantizing analog tracks?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

We're not working on new features right now, but that's on the list of suggestions.

Greg
Peter G

Post by Peter G »

You can use Melodyne with Mixcraft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQLJoB8pamE
Bucktail

Post by Bucktail »

I didn't catch what version of Melodyne is being used in the video. Is it Melodyne Essential?