removing background noise from vocal recordings

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Livi

removing background noise from vocal recordings

Post by Livi »

I'm recording vocals (and guitar) using a Sterling Audio ST51 microphone and an M-Audio interface, and I'm recording them directly into Mixcraft. When they come in at first without any effects, there is some background noise, but when I use the noise reduction or an eq, the vocals become tinny and there are some major pops and crackles throughout the recording. I don't think it's the mic or the interface-the problem seems to be with the effects in Mixcraft. How can I avoid this?
thank you:)
Livi
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

It could be a grounding issue, are you using a laptop? It's common with them because laptop power supplies do not normally have a ground (third plug).
Can you post an mp3 containing the noise somewhere so we can hear it?
Livi

Post by Livi »

I'm using a desktop, one that I built specifically for Mixcraft, so I don't think that's an issue. Is there an email address where I can send you the before and after samples?
Bill Melater

Post by Bill Melater »

Spectro Spectral Editor Plugin, BIAS SoundSoap, Audacity Keep in mind that removing parts of the spectrum creates artifacts that are often worse than the problem you are trying to fix. Maybe a manual edit job would work, or gating as a possibility. Or the time tested and rock band approved "lots of reverb and bury it in the mix". Also fixes singers who can't sing. :wink:
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Yep, send in a support request and attach the files.