Mixcraft 5 won't recognize my midi keyboard

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

w1av

Mixcraft 5 won't recognize my midi keyboard

Post by w1av »

I have an M-AUDIO Key Studio midi keyboard. I use an M-AUDIO Fast Track USB interface.....and Mixcraft 5....been using this setup for some time now....I updated the software for the Fast Track. Problem: I got a NEW COMPUTER and it is all set up running Windows XP Pro.....installed Mixcraft 5 and registered.....when I plug in and turn on the midi keyboard mixcraft will not recognize it. On my old system, when I plugged the keyboard in, a box would pop up saying "Mixcraft has detected another midi device" or something like that. I would normally use the M-AUDIO ASIO driver which worked fine and check off ASIO in Preferences....everything on my new system is pretty much exactly the same way it was on the old system....any advice? Please help so I can make some music! Bob :cry:
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Do you have the M-Audio keyboard connected directly to your computer via USB? If not, you could give that a try.

Also, try getting the keyboard connected and recognized by Windows before you start up Mixcraft and see if that helps.

Greg
w1av

Post by w1av »

Hi Greg

I tried all the USB ports....I see that Windows does recognize it....when I plug it in, the computer beeps....I looked in system and it is found in audio properties. Its just in Mixcraft it wont be recognized...it recognises my audio interfaces OK......I remember on the other computer I had the same exact set up and when I plugged or unplugged the midi keyboard Mixcraft would display a small box saying "the number of midi devices has changed" or some such. I am going thru everything I can to try to figure it out.....Mixcraft is working fine and sees my audio devices. But no MIDI.....any other suggestions welcome......
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Click on the File menu and select Preferences. In the MIDI preferences, click "Default MIDI Settings," and then click OK.

Greg
w1av

Windows does recognize the keyboard.

Post by w1av »

Also I forgot to mention....in Windows Sounds & Audio devices section in Control panel it does show the USB Key Studio keyboard so I know it is being seen.....at least in windows....Also the VST effects that let you play them on computer keyboard do work fine.....I was testing out the Messaih synth....plays nice with mouse on ITS keyboard! But I keep pressing the MIDI keyboard hoping to hear something.....it seems as though some thing is blocking it or not letting it thru...I tried 2 new cables as well. I am just giving you all this little info in the hopes it may help.
w1av

did that too!

Post by w1av »

Yes thats the FIRST thing I checked...NG there either..... :shock:
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

See if this Mixcraft FAQ entry is of any help.

Greg
w1av

no go

Post by w1av »

No, that registry thing was too scary...I did find the item in registry but the instructions were too vague. I am gonna try a few other different keyboards....maybe an older one that I can hook up my controller too with the cables.....So I will post back with results in a few days....
lapetrarca

Post by lapetrarca »

Hi!

Saw your posting on CL and on the Mixcraft website. I'm just a couple of towns away from you and am using Mixcraft 5 with an M Audio KeyRig 49 keyboard and an M-Audio Fast Track II interface myself.

Forgive me for stating/asking the obvious but, have you tried disconnecting the keyboard and rebooting the machine? Restart Mixcraft and reconnect the keyboard. Any luck?

BTW....what OS are you running? Still XP?

Replied to your CL ad as well. Check your e-mail.
w1av

Post by w1av »

Is there another version of Mixcraft I could download? Like version 5 without the updates? I still am having no luck getting Mixcraft to recognize my keyboard. I tried another keyboard today and still no luck. I un installed Mixcraft, re installed....did the same thing with my Fast Track recording interface....disabled the power saver feature on all root hubs in Windows....tried all usb ports.....re set keyboard numerous times.....researched this all day with no luck.....Mixcraft will PLAY songs I have recorded in the past that have midi tracks OK....any other ideas?
w1av

Windows does recognize keyboard

Post by w1av »

BTW Windows does recognize keyboard. When I go into audio properties in device manager it shows the M audio "Key Studio" in location 0....and the computer makes that double tone when I plug/unplug keyboard from usb jack.
w1av

MIDI PROBLEM SORT OF SOLVED

Post by w1av »

Well I connected my old M Audio Midisport 4x4 controller....downloaded and installed the drivers for it....shut down computer and connected a Yamaha PSR 292 keyboard with the midi in/out jacks in back of it....plugged the USB cable in back of computer, re started, opened Mixcraft and what do you know!
Midi working perfectly with the M Audio ASIO driver! That still doesnt explain why my little Key studio keyboard will not work...but anyway now I am back in business....