getting a high output...

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

kabuchi

getting a high output...

Post by kabuchi »

Hi all

i'm wondering what i can do to get a high output(gain) on a finish recording?

and i don't mean recording at good levels etc, i mean like an amplified gain on the end result like in certain programs so the music levels would be loud but nice..

i find when i burn a cd and play it in a cd player its soft compared to other recordings...then again i don't expect to get a "high class recording like recording studios" but the finished levels could be better.

thanx...and maybe there's some tips i'm missing , i don't know...help a brother out please

my craft is to mix with "mixcraft"
Gman

Post by Gman »

My recording levels, both analog and digital, are amost always bouncing into the yellow and frequently, but briefly into the red. Add a touch of compression on the master track and you should get very near to commercial levels. If you don't, all equipment is different. Continue to push your master recording volume until you hear distortion, then back it off a bit. (But, you will run the risk of having some distortion at peak passages)

(My 2 cents worth.)

Eric does allot of recording so I'm sure he will be along in a bit to offer a better perspective.
kabuchi

Post by kabuchi »

thanx Gman,

i'll try that....

mixin in mixcraft
The Geez

Post by The Geez »

Check out the "Brick Wall" limiter presets in the Acoustica Compressor effect.
These will give you max gain without peaking out.
Don't forget to USE YOUR EARS!!!!

Best is to check out and UNDERSTAND what the various settings of the compressor will do for you.
Hint: Google is your friend!
;)
kabuchi

Post by kabuchi »

thanx Geez

will do

peace out
Billkruse

Post by Billkruse »

kabuchi wrote:thanx Geez

will do

peace out
If I may, check out the mastering forum at www.studioforums.com and try asking in there. If I have it right, then you're way better off getting sensible (as opposed to near-saturation) levels recorded and then passing the mix over to someone better-versed specifically in that art as that's where a track will be turned from merely sounding good to sounding "in your face" and good. They go on about it at some length!

BB