Can hardly see the waveform

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Mediaman

Can hardly see the waveform

Post by Mediaman »

I am setting up 5.2 for the first time. All seems to be working okay (using ASIO**) - I can record and playback. HOWEVER, I can hardly see the waveform...I always need to normalize volume to see it. Is there some sort of defaut setting I am missing??

Many thanks

** This is the only setting I can use and its the only setting that allows me to individually select different inputs ( from my TASCAM M-164UF mixer).
Bill Melater

Post by Bill Melater »

Sounds like not enough input leve.
Mediaman

Post by Mediaman »

The audio output of the mixer (which feeds Mixcraft via a USB cable) also goes to my PA system (via 1/4" jacks), and its VERY loud.

So if the input to Mixcraft is low (which indeed it appears to be), I dont know how I can increase it.

I am using Windows 7 and the latest TASCAM drivers.

The Blood Pressurize sample is, as expected, perfect, but I cannot get my own waveforms to look like that ( unless I Normalize Volume).
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Check out the end of this thread.

Greg
Mediaman

Post by Mediaman »

Thanks, but that link refers to issues I was having last year. I had already resolved those issues.

Currently its "low input" across the board....

Still seeking a solution.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

What has changed since it was working properly for you? You don't have any way to increase the level on the mixer?

Greg
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Mediaman wrote:The audio output of the mixer (which feeds Mixcraft via a USB cable) also goes to my PA system (via 1/4" jacks), and its VERY loud.....
Take it down then - and increase the gain on your input channels.
Mediaman

Post by Mediaman »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

What has changed since it was working properly for you? You don't have any way to increase the level on the mixer?

Greg
I do, , but if I raise the mixer output, then it afects everything else. That is if I raise the mixer level output, my guitar and PA would be blasting loud.
Mediaman

Post by Mediaman »

aj113 wrote:
Mediaman wrote:The audio output of the mixer (which feeds Mixcraft via a USB cable) also goes to my PA system (via 1/4" jacks), and its VERY loud.....
Take it down then - and increase the gain on your input channels.
If by 'take it down' you mean take down the overall mixer output level, and raise the individual input leveld, wont I still have the same issue, ie ( barely noticable waverform) given I have taken it down??

I'll play with this a little more, but all the joy is gone right now - too much time to get it to work- no time to use it - I think I threw away $70 on software i cannot use.
Vibrant Audio

Post by Vibrant Audio »

First, can you just turn down the amp on the PA?

Seems there are two things going on here. You're wanting to set level for your recording (which has to be higher than it is right now), and you're wanting to set the levels for your PA (which will get too loud if you just crank up the overall level from the mixer).

So you HAVE to have a way to control the level on your PA separately from the output to your recording. The USB output probably just sends the stereo output to the computer. That means you have to control the level for your PA separately from the stereo output faders on your mixer. We're talking about gain structure.

So these are your options:
Turn down the amp on the PA.
Take the output from the AUX channels, turn the AUX level down, and send that to your PA.
Use the headphone out for monitoring and turn the headphone level down.
*Vibrant Audio*