Mic recording through POD X3 Live and VST...

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Glaw

Mic recording through POD X3 Live and VST...

Post by Glaw »

First of all, sorry for posting this in the Mixcraft forums. It's kind of unrelated to MC, but i find this community very useful and friendly. Feel free to delete this post if necessary:

I'm using Line 6's POD X3 to record guitars and bass, which sound great to me, but when i record vocals, that's a different matter. I think the problem is the POD X3 has no pre-amp. I use Gear Box to configure and it supposedly comes with a couple of pre-amps. Vocals sound a bit "weak" even if a yell at the mic (SM58).
Does anybody know if it comes with a real pre-amp?

I've watched every vocal-related tutorial made by the Acoustica team and i can get good vocals (using vocsteady, EQ...), but i feel as if it needs that little "extra", to sound really pro.

My question is, is there some kind of a pre-amp VST? I know this is a stupid question, but what i mean is, maybe the VST amps the signal before it is actually recorded?
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

A couple of things:-

Have you tried the "trim" control right next to where you plug in the Mic - you can increase the mic sensitivity using this.

Also you can arm a channel in Mixcraft and add a vst effect (such as a compressor for example) and it will boost the sound from the X3.

Make sure you are using the Line 6 ASIO drivers (not ASIO4ALL) and then you can use the dry channels from the X3.

Good Luck