What's the best audio interface to use with Mixcraft?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

bmiller

What's the best audio interface to use with Mixcraft?

Post by bmiller »

M-Audio? E-MU? Not happy with my E-MU 0202. Looking at a used M-Audio Fast Track USB for $40. Thanks!
My setup: MIXCRAFT 7.0, 64 bit, Build 251, Beatcraft, Windows 7 x32 on IBM Lenovo Core i7-4800MQ CPU @ 2.7GHz 2.70 GHzCPU, M-Audio Fast Track USB
aj113

Post by aj113 »

After my own experiences, I would not recommend anything usb. USB and multitrack recording are uneasy bedfellows.
bmiller

Post by bmiller »

Then Firewire? What other options are there? I had an M-Audio Firewire Pro that did not work well on my PC laptop, even though I had a firewire port.
My setup: MIXCRAFT 7.0, 64 bit, Build 251, Beatcraft, Windows 7 x32 on IBM Lenovo Core i7-4800MQ CPU @ 2.7GHz 2.70 GHzCPU, M-Audio Fast Track USB
liverwimply

Post by liverwimply »

The only thing that has ever worked for me is an M-Audio Delta 66 that goes into an expansion slot on a desktop. That works very well. I have tried the M-Audio USB devices as well as Line6 and they both fail miserably. Right now I am trying to get a Lexion Alpha to work withoug uch luck. I am not sure it is possible to do much recording with a laptop.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Yes, a lot of people would recommend a desktop computer with a good PCI sound device.

It is possible to get good recordings with USB, but some computers have slow USB ports and there are lots of other factors involved. If you haven't already done so, check out this video on optimizing your PC for Mixcraft.

One of our software developers really likes the Presonus firewire products.

The best thing to do is to find a retailer with a good return policy so you can find a good match for your computer.

Greg
Bucktail

Post by Bucktail »

I use a Presonus AudioBox USB that seems to work rather well for me on my old Dell Computer.
FirstBassman

Post by FirstBassman »

I wouldn't say it is the "best audio interface to use with Mixcraft" but I use a Yamaha Audiogram and am very happy.

Image[/img]
vanight

Re: What's the best audio interface to use with Mixcraft?

Post by vanight »

Can someone please direct me to the official hardware compatibility list? I see a lot of speculative answers about what works for some, but not for others. I am building a home recording studio and I have been looking at the Mbox + pro tools options. There seem to be a TON of USB based hardware devices that come with Pro tools, or other ..... but I see some hesitation on the part of some poster with regards to USB. So, does USB really suck that bad?

I do like the ease of use of Mixcraft as compared to Pro tools. So, I am probably going to steer away from the mbox + protools package. However, I like what I see in the that product line hardware wise. My goal is to spend more time writing music, and less time learning software. I support software for my day job, so this is suppose to be an escape from that! LOL.

Here is what I am considering, though not stuck on it.
http://www.avid.com/US/products/Mbox

Are their any compatibility issues with the MBOX?

Is Firewire really the way to go?

What is considered HD audio? Does that mean 5.1 surround sound? Does your software do that?

Basically, I want to get the best setup with the least hassles, and best performance for around $300 or less for the hardware.

Thanks