'select all following' command

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

jbng

'select all following' command

Post by jbng » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:50 pm

Hi guys. Since my work wouldn't dish out the hundreds of dollars for a newer version of Logic that works with XP but they WOULD dish out 50 bucks for Mixcraft, I'm using it and I love the simplicity and the way it works.

However (there's always a 'however'...:-)), one thing Logic had which was extremely helpful was a keyboard command for 'select all following'.

I do a lot of educational 'straight talking' recording and when I have to insert a small correction it's a terrible pain in mixcraft, because to move all the sound files to the right of where you're working and preserve their position requires:

1. zoom out

2. drag to select - when you're zoomed out short sounds reduce to something so small it's hard to see, so you have to select very roughly.

3. zoom in - BUT mixcraft seems to zoom in to the CENTRE of the selection, rather than the start. So you have to zoom in, then scroll left (sometimes it seems like ages if it's on a large zoom).

4. when you finally get back to where the adjustment is, you have to control click the sound files to get all the right ones selected.

5. then you need to move the files to where you think they should be, only using waveforms and no audio. If you want to zoom in to get more precise, that's right, it zooms back to the CENTRE of the selection and you have to jump on the scroll train again (ARRGH!).

5. in order to listen to your new placement, you have to click before the sounds, which (ARRGH!) DESELECTS them all and if the adjustment is not right, you have to go back to step 1 all over again!

I realise you can play the INDIVIDUAL sounds without deselecting them, but really what you want to do is play the TRANSITION between the sounds.

Having 'select all following' would be very helpful in this regard.

If I'm still working in old school ways and there's a better way to insert corrections etc I'm happy to hear input, but here's what I reckon should be easy features to implement which would be extremely helpful:

1. 'select all following' command
2. the ability to play/listen without deselecting
3. zooming zooms to the start of the selection, not the middle.

Any or all of these would make life much easier for such things, and hopefully stop me saying 'ARRGH!' so much. Like you say, 'software should be easy to use'.

PS. The only other thing on my wishlist is the ability to constrain or align volume envelopes so that for example, holding down shift or control whilst dragging a handle keeps it at the same level. A key combination and click (e.g. Ctrl-click) to restore a handle to 100% volume would be great too, as would the ability to multiple-select the handles and move them together... whew!

Thanks guys. If you could have the updated version on my desk early next week that would be great. :-b
John G

KD

Post by KD » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:30 pm

I suggested almost the same in the old forum

would be great to see this feature in one of the next updates

kd

Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:53 am

Hi,

How would this feature work? Would the "select all following" work on one track or on all the tracks? Maybe one track if you have a sound selected and all tracks (after the cursor) if you don't have anything selected?

You know you can use the spacebar to start and stop playback, right? It only plays the selection, though, it doesn't play before the selection.

Greg

KD

Post by KD » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:42 pm

as for me I'm working with a lot of small clips the most time...and its really annoying to do small adjustments in the middle of a track...zoom out, select the rest of the track (to keep that together), zoom back in, scroll to the part where the adjustment is needed, adjust, click in front of that part to listen if it fits, it doesnt, start all over

I took a picture to show you....put the case I want to move the clip somewhere around 1:00 two milliseconds to the front....I need to move everything after 1:00 as well to keep the other distances..

with the "select all following" feature it would be much more pleasant to work

d

Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:25 pm

So, the selection area would expand to include what?

KD

Post by KD » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:32 pm

like I highlight a clip and press 'SHIFT + END' -> all clips after the highlighted are selected

if you press 'CTRL + END' all clips which are in the same track after the highlighted get selected ...for example

d

jbng

Post by jbng » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:23 am

sounds like a sweet option to me KD!

thanks for the response guys

Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:27 pm

I logged this as a feature request.

jbng

Post by jbng » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:17 pm

Thanks heaps Greg - you da man!

Any inkling of when the next update would be due?

Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:31 pm

jbng wrote:Thanks heaps Greg - you da man!

Any inkling of when the next update would be due?
The next update is on the beta page now. I don't know when the next, next update will be available yet.