best mic set up

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

Daniel

best mic set up

Post by Daniel » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:23 pm

I know this has already been talked about many times sorry for the repetition. Ok so right know i just use my mic to record acoustic guitar and vocals. i plug the mic into the mic input and thats how i record. I have to use the mic boost in the windows sound options, and i think thats where i get quite a bit more static type back round noise. Would getting a preamp for my mic help to make it louder and not have to use the mic boost in windows, or would that even help? Its just i have tried so many things and i still have the same problem. I didn't know if the preamp would help it to record louder so then i could turn it down and still have loud enough sound but without the backround noise.

I just thought maybe this could help someone figure out my problem. when I record i always get the same static backround noise, but it doesnt matter how loud What it is i am recording. So if i record something that is pretty loud, too loud in relation to other thigns i have recorded, if i have to turn it down a lot to work together with my other tracks then the backround noise dissappears.

Gman

Post by Gman » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:46 pm

I'm sorry we can't solve your static problem. From what you say the static is louder when the mic boost in Windows is turned on. By using a pre-amp you are attempting to increase your signal-to-noise ratio to the point that the static is inconsequential. I don't know if you will ever get to that point, but instead of a dedicated mic pre-amp, you may want to try an inexpensive mixer for the same price-

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=631239

Several of us in the forums here use the Behringer Euro mixers and they do a great job for the money. They not only do a good job as a pre-amp, but offer more flexibility.

If you are determeined to get rid of the static, the next step would be to try a new sound card. I've used some that were very inexpensive and still did a great job. Check them out at Tiger Direct-

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... ?CatId=107

Sorry I can't do more and good luck.

Daniel

Post by Daniel » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:03 am

Thanks a lotl. I probably will end up actually getting that. I have been looking for something like this for a long time but not really knowing what to look for. the only preamp type thigns i could find with a mic plug were atleast $100. I cant beleive how cheap this is too. I also have a behringer amp and i like it a lot.

thanks again for all your help

EL34

Post by EL34 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:58 am

Are you sure your static problem is not connectors or cables?

Just a wild guess.

Gman

Post by Gman » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:21 am

I have to agree with EL34 that one of the last places for the static would be your sound card. Connectors, cables, microphone, etc. are all more likely sources. With you getting static and having nothing plugged in, I am stymied though.

Daniel

Post by Daniel » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:58 pm

yes I am thinking my cable could be a tiny bit of the problem, but I have a brand new nice mic cable that i could use once i got the behringer pre amp. I also should be getting a new computer soon so that may solve the problem completely if it was partly a sound card issue.

Daniel

Post by Daniel » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:54 pm

So with the behringer eurorack

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=631239

How would you then connect that to the computer, what would be the best way?

Gman

Post by Gman » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:33 pm

Use a cable like-

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=333053

from the main out of the mixer to the line in of your sound card.

Daniel

Post by Daniel » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:34 am

okay i bought the behringer eurorack today. I just set it up but i realized i forgot to get the cable that can go from the main out into a computer. I did have a cable that could go from the tape out into the computer though so i was testing it out with that. is the main out better quality that I would definitely want to go from the main out or is the tape out ok? Also if there is any other quick tips about the eurorack that anyone has for me.

thanks a lot

Gman

Post by Gman » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:21 am

There would be no quality difference at all between the two outputs. They may have different levels, meaning one may have a higher output (sound much louder) than the other, but I would doubt it. My guess is they are equal in every way except the plugs themselves.

Tips? - Not really other than learning with a little practice, trial and error. You will notice that the level lights on the mixer may appear very low (one or two green lights) even when the level bars in the Mixcraft recording window are very high (orange/red), but that is normal. Worry about Mixcraft, not the mixer.

Good luck-

Daniel

Post by Daniel » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:19 pm

okay thanks. so whats the point of all the inputs if you can only record one at a time? or atleast thats what i read in the manual. or was that just talking about you cant use the mic input and the single plug guitar input at the same time?

Daniel

Post by Daniel » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:46 pm

wow I love my new eurorack! Once I just played with the settings for about 5min I was able to get a perfectly clear sound, as to when I just plugged it into my soundcard I had a lot of static. In time I suspect I will be able to get some even better settings but its great already.

thanks for the suggestion guys I love it!

Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:56 am

We've got a couple of Euroracks in the office. They are cool, and not too expensive.

Gman

Post by Gman » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:10 pm

Daniel wrote:okay thanks. so whats the point of all the inputs if you can only record one at a time? or atleast thats what i read in the manual. or was that just talking about you cant use the mic input and the single plug guitar input at the same time?
All the inputs? - That is what a mixer does. Takes many inputs and mixes them down to one (one stereo) output. Mixers are mostly used with a PA (Public Address) system for major applification of live/stage sound. Mixers take all the singers, instruments, drums, etc. and mixes them down to a single stereo signal that can be fed to the big wattage amplifiers in a PA system.

You COULD record everything at once. The problem is that everything would all be on one track so you could not change the volume level of say the vocals compared to the guitar. Or add different effects between the guitar and vocals. Any effects or volume changes would be the same as a master effect as everything would be affected.

I my case, a mixer allows me to keep all me toys plugged in all the time and switch between them instantly and effortlessly.

Static from feedback through electric outlet

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:19 am

Spent about 4 very disappointing hours experimenting the first time i used Mixcraft before we discovered static was from having computer plugged into same power strip as keyboard, etc. Tried laptop on batteries and no static. Plugged into other side of room and other than having more cords to trip over, it works great.