How To Get A Good Rock/Metal Kick & Snare Sound?

Support and feedback for Beatcraft.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

phoenixcrash

How To Get A Good Rock/Metal Kick & Snare Sound?

Post by phoenixcrash »

Hi, been using Beatcraft for several years now and know the program inside and out (almost). The one thing I've yet to accomplish with Beatcraft is to create a great kick and snare sound (something along the lines of Seether, Mudvayne, or Five Finger Death Punch). I use the Acoustic Kick and Acoustic Snare from the Dry Studio Set. What FX should I use? The Acoustic Kick has a slightly unrealistic mid-punch going on. If anyone knows a really good EQ setting for that kick to achieve the sound I'm looking for, please post a pic of these EQ settings (getting that kick sound right has been the bane of my existance). Also, any EQ and Reverb settings for the Acoustic Snare would be great. In fact, if anyone has an entire kit set up similar to mine that is already achieving this sound, let me know about your entire setup. I'm a guitarist who is sort of a one-man-band right now and not extremely familiar with how to get the most realistic sounding rock/metal drum kit.
phoenixcrash

Post by phoenixcrash »

Hell, if anyone knows a sweet EQ setting for the kick?
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Aliengiraffe

Post by Aliengiraffe »

Thanks for the link. That site is unbelievably helpful.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Glad to hear it :-)
phoenixcrash

Post by phoenixcrash »

Thanks for the link. It was very helpful, especially when it came to making the double kick sound more human. Anyone know where I can pick up some hi-hat samples (open, closed, and half-closed :wink: ) that sound realistic and are perhaps...free?!?! As for the original post about the kick sound, I've spent a few hours playing with various EQs (only to find myself coming back to the Acoustica EQ), and I just can't settle on a sweet spot for it. I started by removing the highest freq, dropping some of the mids, and boosting a little bit of the lows. Gonna have to find a spot on the EQ for the toms too, as the original samples are slightly mid-heavy. Been using Beatcraft for a few years now and it's never let me down :D
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Have you looked at the equalizer recommendations on the site I linked you to?

Have a look at our studio tips videos, those should clear it up for you.
Also see this 8 part video on how mix an entire song.