USB disconnects itself (logically not physically) and record

Support and feedback for Spin It Again.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

aiiee

USB disconnects itself (logically not physically) and record

Post by aiiee »

USB disconnects itself (logically not physically) and recording stops.

I can hear the system sound that the usb preamp is disconnecting and recording continues but spinitagain shows no input levels. I've read the boards and have my buffers maxed out.

Windows 7

Artcessories phono preamp v2

Stanton analog turntable.

Any advice?
Acoustica Greg

Re: USB disconnects itself (logically not physically) and re

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

When does this happen? Make sure that your computer is not going into hibernation mode while you're recording.

Greg
aiiee

Post by aiiee »

Not hibernating. Stopped all services like firewall, etc. Doesn't do it on album of 12 tracks but does it on album of 3 very long tracks.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Are you getting a message from Windows that the USB device disconnected? You need to figure out why that is happening. One customer found that his dog was walking on the USB cable and messing up his recordings, for example. If you're using a USB hub, try plugging directly into your computer instead. You can also try disconnecting other USB devices that you aren't using.

Greg
aiiee

Post by aiiee »

The guy with the dog? That was me :lol: . Dog has passed on, as has the computer I was using. New computer , new turntable. Same old Artcessories Phono Plus preamp.

I get no "message" as in text message. But I do get the system sound indicating it is disconnecting. No other USB devices connected, and I have tried other USB ports. Not sure where to look next, but it sounds like Google-time... :?
aiiee

Post by aiiee »

Well, Googled random usb disconnects, found a few suggestions , nothing worked. I'm looking at Artcessories Phono Plus USB driver as the likely culprit since it's a discontinued item with them....

That's one way to sell new preamps... :evil:

Hmm, didn't notice this before: When the USB disconnects, I hit "New" in SIA to start a new recording and the connection comes back.... not SIA related?
Last edited by aiiee on Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If you've got a different USB cable, try that.

Greg
aiiee

Post by aiiee »

Greg,

See my last edit above. Does that point to/illuminate anything ?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Spin It Again doesn't make a tone when the USB disconnects, that's Windows alerting you you've lost your USB connection. If Windows isn't providing the audio, Spin It Again can't record it.

Greg
aiiee

Post by aiiee »

Oh, I know it's Windows providing the system sound. It's something in the interface between the Artcessories USB and Win7 USB audio codec input. I've at least been able to change the behavior of the USB audio codec behavior in the Sound window on Win7 using an FAQ from ARTcessories. I've made some progress actually in getting it to play longer. Still not sure I've really corrected anything but am currently playing back a record using the USB audio codec and it's been going about 20 minutes, a new world record :lol:

Basically it involves manually reducing the gain on the USB "microphone" input and changing the input from 1 channel to 2 channel. Not sure yet if I've nailed it, still trying different things.

EDIT: well that recording was ruined by a USB disconnect also. Still reading things on the net, I disabled the wireless connection to my home network, and then I was able to record *one* side of a record without USB cutting out. Tomorrow, I may even try *both* sides.... :roll:
aiiee

Post by aiiee »

This really shouldn't be this hard, should it? :cry:

The last things I did which seemed to make a difference:

1. Disabled the "device disconnect" system sound. After that I only got short "hiccups" of skipping, not complete disconnects. Apparently the system sound interferes with the driver trying to reconnect to the pc.

2. Set buffers to 26 per other recommendation in this forum, left buffer size to default. No skips since.

This really shouldn't be this hard.... :cry:
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Cranking your buffers way up is definitely the right thing to do if you've got skipping, but it wouldn't affect the USB problem.

Greg
aiiee

Post by aiiee »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

Cranking your buffers way up is definitely the right thing to do if you've got skipping, but it wouldn't affect the USB problem.

Greg
I opened task manager to watch CPU and memory usage. Never got close to max when the skips occurred. So far turning the system sound off has had the biggest effect :?:

Fiddling with the buffers does seem to make a difference , wishful thinking?

So, I ended up with 26 buffers @ 32768. No skips but who knows what will happen on the next attempt to record? Enough, this is ridiculous.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Increasing buffers helps reduce skips by creating a larger buffer space in memory so that the program can keep up with the recording. The trade-off is that there is a bigger lag between when the audio enters your computer and when you hear it playing back, but that doesn't really matter much when you're just digitizing LPs or cassettes.

Greg
aiiee

Post by aiiee »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

Increasing buffers helps reduce skips by creating a larger buffer space in memory so that the program can keep up with the recording. The trade-off is that there is a bigger lag between when the audio enters your computer and when you hear it playing back, but that doesn't really matter much when you're just digitizing LPs or cassettes.

Greg
Yeah, I fully expect it to skip again when I try to digitize "A Love Supreme", with its side-long tracks.

I've purchased an AC adapter for the preamp to see if that helps with any power issues. Basically throwing shit at the wall at this point. stay tuned....

EDIT: Now using the AC adapter. No skips, no hiccups, perfect! Still very low levels of confidence though. I'm going to crank back on the buffers to see if skips come back. If not then that lends some credence to the theory that the USB power in this laptop is shite.

EDIT: Well , runs perfect with buffers reduced, and the Windows device disconnect sound reinstated. It would seem at this point that the root cause is lousy power control through the USB cable to the USB powered preamp causing the pc to think the USB has disconnected. When this did happen I noticed that the level meter for the USB audio codec "microphone" in the windows sound manager still showed input !! Even though there was nothing coming out of the speakers AND SIA was not picking up anything either, apparently thinking that the USB was gone and not checking to see if it had reconnected. Note that by hitting the "NEW" button in the SIA recording window made SIA re-check to see if there was USB audio coming in, and it would start to "hear" it again.

In the end, not SIA, but rather the horribly crappy USB power on this less-than-a-year-old Lenovo T510 Thinkpad. Boy have they gone downhill since IBM.

Anyway, Greg, thanks for your tips and guidance, kept me focused on looking for the real cause.

Now, where's that drink? :D