Connecting

Support and feedback for Spin It Again.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

esarantakos

Connecting

Post by esarantakos »

What is the absolute best method to connect to spin it again. I can connect from a headphone jack to an external Berlinger Audio device or is it better to connect to an external sound card. My computer has no line in port, and my cassette player has no line out ports. The cassette player has the headphone port. Does using the headphone port on the cassette player adversely affect sound quality?? Thank you.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Connecting

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Get some sort of USB audio interface. Here's an inexpensive option: Behringer U-Phono UFO202 USB Audio Interface. In the case of this particular device, you'd also need the appropriate adapter cable.

Using the headphone output is fine, but be careful not to blast your computer: make sure that the volume on the cassette player is at 25% or less.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
esarantakos

Post by esarantakos »

Thank you very much for you reply Greg. I do have the Berlinger U-PHORIA UMC22. Is that model overkill? I take it that I connect two guitar type jacks into the left and right outputs and the other end into the headphone port on the cassette player. I have located the type of cable I need.

Another question I have: Is it important what type of cassette player I have. It’s a portable type ‘boom’ box combination radio, cd and cassette player.

Thanks Greg—I really appreciate your help and will look forward to you response.

Elliot
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

See what kind of results you get. I think you should get acceptable results from that setup.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
esarantakos

Post by esarantakos »

Greg

Could you suggest a reasonably priced cassette deck that works well with Spin It Again? They are hard to find. I want aback-up plan in case the boom box player does not produce quality sound.

Thank you.

Elliot
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I know this is an old thread, but some tips.
Portable cassette players and the like are going to be more prone to have lower quality playback than higher grade component stereo type equipment. The "wow and flutter" specs and "signal to noise ratio" levels are going to be pretty poor.
Put another way, players not even equipped with line out jacks may not be the best choice here.
But being essentially obsolete, you may find your options are pretty limited. You might try a thrift store or pawn shop etc.
A couple of years ago I tried to digitize some old practice and demo tapes. Even a high end cassette deck had very noticeable rumble from the motor, and the common tape hiss, and the result was a let down. Some could be somewhat repaired, but the entire project just wasn't worth the time and effort and I decided it was time to let it go. The technology is way obsolete for a reason....

I have a whole stack of old gear here I can't hardly give away!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page