Phono preamp and saving files

Support and feedback for Spin It Again.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

asby1950

Phono preamp and saving files

Post by asby1950 »

I have two questions I would like to know before making a commitment to purchasing software. I’m thinking of purchasing Spin-It-Again but would like to know what phono preamps are compatible with the software. I want to connect my turntable directly to my computer via the phono preamp. Also is it possible to save the music files to my hard drive rather than a CD?
Acoustica Greg

Re: Phono preamp and saving files

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Yes, in fact some kind of preamp is required or the audio would be too quiet. Some receivers and turntables have preamps built into them. If the output is marked "phono," you probably need a preamp.

And yes, you can create MP3, wav, WMA or Ogg Vorbis files.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
dickiek

Post by dickiek »

I'm using a stereo preamp that is over 40 years old Years ago, it was connected to my stereo amp pushing out music. It is connected directly to my line-in port. The phono stage in it is so much better than what I could buy reasonably as a new preamp and it works great! It's a Nikko Beta II and the only other accessory I needed was a good Y cable. I recently saw preamp exactly like it online for $130. I'm seeing peaks over 50 and lows around 10 when I do a spectral analysis in Audacity. A very good preamp can often be found for a very few bucks, if you don't mind old.
dickiek

Post by dickiek »

I'm using a stereo preamp that is over 40 years old. Years ago, it was connected to my stereo amp pushing out music. It is connected directly to my line-in port. The phono stage in it is so much better than what I could buy reasonably as a new preamp and it works great! It's a Nikko Beta II and the only other accessory I needed was a good Y cable. I recently saw a preamp exactly like it online for $130. I'm seeing peaks over 50 and lows around 10 when I do a spectral analysis in Audacity. A very good preamp can often be found for a very few bucks, if you don't mind old.