Humming sound

Support and feedback for Spin It Again.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

rn99Anchor

Humming sound

Post by rn99Anchor »

I have been transferring some records to mp3 and have noticed a hum or buzz that's not on the record. Could it be coming from my computer speaker? It has a noticeable buzz, especially when the volume is turned up. I tried to turn it all the way down and use my stereo speakers to monitor the sound. That helped a little, but there was still a slight buzz.

My connection is from the soundcard input on my desktop to the headphone jack on my stereo.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

This is usually caused by a grounding issue. try putting a ground lift on the computer if the stereo has only a 2 prong plug.
rn99Anchor

Post by rn99Anchor »

Upon futher inspection, I am getting a slight buzz from my stereo speakers when I put my receiver on the record player. I'm not getting a buzz when "tape" or "CD" is punched up.
rn99Anchor

Post by rn99Anchor »

Could this just be a grounding problem with my turntable?
I'm getting the speaker buzz without connection to my computer, and it only occurs when the turntable is selected on the receiver.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Yes, many turntables have grounding wires. Does yours have one? Or does it have a connector for one on the back?

Greg
rn99Anchor

Post by rn99Anchor »

I solved the problem. It was just the grounding of the turntable.
I had not used it much since moving into my house about 9 years ago. I had not really noticed the buzz because I had not used the turntable too much. The speaker buzz was causing a buzz in the mp3 tracks.
My computer speaker still has a slight buzz, but with the stereo speaker buzz gone, the computer speaker problem does not affect the music.

Thanks for your input. I have had a few issues to work out, but once those were figured out, I've really enjoyed your product, and it's revived my record and cassette music library.