SIA's recommended equipment (buyequip page)

Support and feedback for Spin It Again.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

Ellett

SIA's recommended equipment (buyequip page)

Post by Ellett »

The Acoustica web site has a good selection of equipment and links to a couple of reputable vendors, but it looks like it's time to revisit the list for an update. For instance, the ART USB phono preamp is no longer manufactured and has been replaced by the ART USB Phono Plus V2 RIAA Phono Preamp.

I'd also strongly recommend Acoustica upgrade its recommendation for RCA-to-mini adapter from the $5 Molly shown to the $10 Belkin Pure AV. The latter provide much better EM/RFI isolation and a lower capacitance dielectric (which provides a more accurate signal, especially at high frequencies). An extra $5 is very inexpensive when considered against the time and effort put into digitizing albums.

One item not listed is required if connecting a turntable through an external preamp; a pair of RCA-to-RCA cables. I can personally recommend the Pure AV cables; although they're not carried by Acoustica's recommended vendors, they're generally available.

Whatever cables are required, use the shortest lengths possible to minimize interference, signal attenuation and degradation.

If anyone is using cables that came with their equipment, consider replacing them, especially if there's any trace of hum. The supplied cables are often of inferior quality with minimal to no shielding and poor plug-to-conductor attachment.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback! I passed it along to the webmaster.

Greg
hoser1

Where is the list?

Post by hoser1 »

Where is this list of recommended equipment posted?
I can nos seem to locate it... :oops:

I'm trying to get set up for going digital from both cassette tapes and LPs.
I have a nice tape deck with line-out and several old-school turntables all of which have magnetic cartridges so I "assume" i'll need a pre-amp.

From the very very little I know, I understand a preamp with the RIAA profile would be better?

I stumbled on this item on eBay ... it does not appear to have a volume adjustment on it but perhaps it will do the trick?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Stereo-Phono-Pr ... 0621445030

Thanks for any help!
jim
Don Hall

Post by Don Hall »

Hi
Normally, you can get to the Buy Equipment Page from the Hookup Wizzard but it looks like something is wrong with that route. Instead;

Go to the Recording Wizzard page and click the "Help" Button. From there click "Hardware Hookup Wizzard" Then Click the bottom item HTTP://WWW: Acoustica/Spinitagain/buyequipment/HTM.com

That should work. You should note that there are a lot help sources available from that HELp screen.

GoodLuck

Don
hoser1

Thanks!

Post by hoser1 »