Assistance required

Support and feedback for Spin It Again.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

fredra

Assistance required

Post by fredra »

Hi
I have been using SIA to transfer my vinyls to CDs.
When I started I used my regular turntable with a pre-amp (it was just laying around) and SIA detected the tracks properly.
I purchased and installed a USB Turntable and my problems began.
-SIA does not seem to be able to detect tracks (I get one track and I need to replay and split tracks.
I have tried to change the settings from the default, still get one track.
-Vol greater than 10% (default), changed to 5%
-Longer than .50 min (default), no change.
-Separated by at least 3.25 sec (default), changed to 1.75
None of these changes work, and I still get one track.
Any constructive feedback/help/assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks
Cheers :)
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The automatic track detection is based on the silence between tracks and it doesn't always work well because of the nature of the analog audio. For example, if there is no silence between tracks, the problem is obvious. This is often the case with live recordings (due to audience applause), or with albums like "Dark Side of the Moon."

This can also happen if the recording is particularly noisy.

Make sure that your recording volume is not turned up too high.

In some cases, you just need to manually split the tracks.

Greg
fredra

Post by fredra »

@Acoustica Greg

Thanks for your assistance.

I understand your explanation, so I will just suck it up and do it manually, as I do not like the software which came bundled with my USB Turntable.

Cheers :D
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Well, it definitely works better on some recordings than others. Also make sure you've got the latest version of Spin It Again.

Greg
fredra

Post by fredra »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

Well, it definitely works better on some recordings than others. Also make sure you've got the latest version of Spin It Again.

Greg
LOL @ Greg
You are being "politically correct" with your responses, and no feathers were ruffled, I am still laughing here.
Thanks for the advice on the latest version, I got it.
Cheers
:)
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I wasn't trying to be politically correct. Are you finding that the automatic track detection isn't working on any recordings? What kind of things are you recording?

In my experience, if you have recordings that do have silence between tracks (and not in the middle of tracks), it works pretty well.

Greg
fredra

Post by fredra »

OOPS
@Greg
I was not being (or trying to be) offensive with that remark, it was said in jest. If it was misunderstood, I apologize.
I have accepted that I have to manually do edits and mark all the tracks after a recording is completed.
To respond to your specific question:
Most of my recent recordinds are circa 1970-1979.
They do have "silence" after each song, however, I have noticed that there is some delay (because of monitoring with USB?) and the "silence" is not really silent as I am still hearing "musical notes" within the silent space between songs. Thus SIA does not "see" the "silence" because with the USB there is a built-in delay.
If I revert to the original setup (turntable+pre-amp) with no USB hookup, then SIA DOES identify the tracks correctly.
IMHO it is the delay and transfer speed of the USB 2.0 specs that has created this problem.
It would appear that I am the only one having this problem w/USB connectivity and I thought that I may have missed a setting in "recording".
Thanks for all your assistance.

Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

That delay is just in playback. It wouldn't affect the silence detection. There must be some other reason it's not detecting the tracks. Make sure that your recording volume is not too high, and also make sure your LPs are clean.

Greg
fredra

Post by fredra »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

That delay is just in playback. It wouldn't affect the silence detection. There must be some other reason it's not detecting the tracks. Make sure that your recording volume is not too high, and also make sure your LPs are clean.

Greg
I agree with your viewpoint that there must be some other reason SIA is not detecting the tracks, that is what I am trying to pinpoint.
I try to clean the LP's prior to recording (using NAGAOKA and D4+) and I have turned down the recording level.
We will see what the results are for the next recording session.
Thanks for your assistance.
fredra

Post by fredra »

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Using a specific LP:
-SIA to set the level on the loudest track.
-SIA gave me one track, while it should have been six tracks.
I re-recorded the same LP.
-I used General and it found all the tracks.

I find that strange.
Don Hall

Post by Don Hall »

Hi
Recheck to see if your change in the setting "It is separated by at least 1.75 seconds of Silence" held. This is the default and usually correct setting. Try lowering it to 1.5. That might be better.
Don
fredra

Post by fredra »

Hi Don
Your input and assistance is greatly appreciated.
Here are my settings in "recording"
Vol. is greater than 5%
It is longer than .50 min
Separated by at least .50 sec of silence.
If any of my settings are incorrect, please let me know and I will correct it/them (I may be missing something in my settings)

Here is what I tried since my last response.
Using the one track, I checked "analyse", and "use album information to improve track detection".
I searched for the album information, found it, and let SIA find the tracks. (I know that this is not exact).
It did a fairly good job and I was able to do minor adjustments to the ending and beginning of each track, and use "merge" to get all six tracks instead of just one huge track.

This is not a perfect solution, but it is not as time intensive as going through one huge track to find and mark the end/beginning of 6-10 tracks. I can understand if SIA misses the occasional track, but with the past 8 LPs all I get is one track per LP.
Any further input I would be willing to try.

Thanks
Don Hall

Post by Don Hall »

Hi Fredra

I would increase the "VOL." to 10% to offset track noise
and
Increase "Separated by" to no less than 1.25 to offset track end fade.
Hope that this helps

Don
fredra

Post by fredra »

Hi Don
I have done the change you suggested.

I will convert another LP to CD with those settings and let you know the results.

Thanks for your assistance, it is appreciated. :D
fredra

Post by fredra »

@Don
I implemented the change, however, same problem(s) arise, only one track for both sides of LP.
SIA does not appear to be able to detect tracks, or the silence to indicate the end of a track on my PC.
Please note, I said on my PC, as SIA maybe functioning properly on other installations, and I do not wish that other users (new or existing) think that SIA is non-functional.
I REALLY like the software and I will continue to use it and find a workaround to this anomaly.
If you can think of any other settings/advice, I will be willing to try.
Thanks for your valued assistance.
Cheers