Assistance required

Support and feedback for Spin It Again.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Let's go over the really simple stuff:

1) The recording is not overly noisy, right?
2) Your recording level is not set too high, right? (not too much red?)
3) You do have the automatic track detection turned on, correct?
4) How are you determining that there are no track splits?

Greg
fredra

Post by fredra »

@Greg
Good questions.
Let me answer each one.
1) The recording is not overly noisy, right?
No. I am hearing silence between tracks/songs, but SIA is hearing something.
2) Your recording level is not set too high, right? (not too much red?)
Hardly ever in red
3) You do have the automatic track detection turned on, correct?
Yes
4) How are you determining that there are no track splits?
When I am finished recording BOTH sides of an LP, which has six songs on each side, I hit the "stop" button, then automatically go into "preview", which I have to stop as I see "Track 1" and nothing else. What I am expecting is twelve tracks, not one. All twelve songs are in that one track.

Your question #1, I find interesting.
Let me try to explain.
The LP is cleaned with "Nagaoka" sticky on a clean, hard surface, then wet cleaned with D4+.
The stylus on the turntable is cleaned with a stylus cleaner after every LP transfer.
If the stylus/tonearm is defective ?, could the turntable be picking up "noise", where I hear silence?
I am using a process of elimination to try in pinpointing why.
If you can suggest a solution, I would be grateful.
Thanks
Ellett

Post by Ellett »

Once you're in the "Preview and Edit Your Recording" window, are you clicking the "Analyze" button to detect the tracks? If you don't do that, you won't get any track breaks.
fredra

Post by fredra »

@Ellett
Once I am in "Preview and Edit Your Recording" mode, and I see only one track, I know that SIA has not picked up the individual songs from the LP.

e.g. I just finished transferring an LP using SIA
Bud Shank - I hear Music.
Year :1970
Songs:10 (5 on side 1, and 5 on side 2)
SIA gave me ONE TRACK

Before I click "analyze", I "edit album Information" and provide the names of the tracks/songs and the length of each track/song, THEN I click "analyze" and use "Album Information to detect tracks" (this is a temporary change from the original default of automatic). After SIA has finished doing the best it can to identify the tracks, I check it manually to fine tune the end and the beginning of each track.

That is the workarond I have been using as SIA has not been successful in identifying the tracks from the recorded LP.
I hope the above explains it properly.
Cheers :D
Ellett

Post by Ellett »

I may be misreading what you said, but once you hit Stop and go to the Preview and Edit window, you will never see more than one track until you click the analyze button. You can search for album info either before or after you analyze and see which order gives you better results, but sia won't actually examine your capture file until you click the Analyze button. It's an optional, although frequently used, operation.

Sia's deferring analysis until a button is clicked is a good thing in my view, since there are spoken word, classical and other special types of files I don't want broken up wherever there's a brief period of silence. Those I either want to keep as single files or want to do human-intelligent track splitting of.

For music files, I like to do the analyze first and then go in and do some start/end of song adjustment, so my times rarely match the times recorded in the data base. I find that without any information from the data base, sia usually does a remarkably good job at finding song beginnings and endings. Once sia has found tracks and I've made what adjustments I wish, I search for album information. Sia keeps the timings I've set and inserts titles in their proper places. You may prefer another work flow and your mileage may vary.
fredra

Post by fredra »

@Ellett
With the utmost of respect to your response, I do not think that you are misreading, however, I need to explain myself in a much better format for clarity. :oops:
I will try your suggestion ASAP, and see if that addresses my concern.
"For music files, I like to do the analyze first and then go in and do some start/end of song adjustment, so my times rarely match the times recorded in the data base. I find that without any information from the data base, sia usually does a remarkably good job at finding song beginnings and endings. Once sia has found tracks and I've made what adjustments I wish, I search for album information. Sia keeps the timings I've set and inserts titles in their proper places. You may prefer another work flow and your mileage may vary."
Your input is invaluable :o
Thanks
fredra

Post by fredra »

*sighs*
I have to admit defeat, as all the suggestions did not work on my PC.
Maybe I was expecting too much OR what I expected SIA does not have that functionality OR I am doing something wrong.
To all the ppl who helped me, I wish to express my heartfelt "thank you" :)
Your assistance is appreciated.
Don Hall

Post by Don Hall »

Hi
Did you ever try changing your settings? i.e.; like increase your Buffers to 24. That can't hurt to try.

Don
fredra

Post by fredra »

Hi Don
My gratitude to you Sir, for taking the time to respond.
I will give that a try and let you know the results.
Last night I transfered an LP (it is so old I don't think anyone remembers it)
"Cannonball" Adderley - I Got It Bad & That Ain't Good
Year: 1970 (I think)

In SIA when I hit "stop" at the end of recording both sides, all ten (10) tracks were identified in their different colours. All I needed to do was to manually input the names of each track/song.

I do understand that there will be times that I MUST manually adjust the tracks.
SIA is capable of identifying each track, so why it doesn't do it with every LP I transfer?
Thanks Don
Don Hall

Post by Don Hall »

Hi Fredra
If you are using Vista you also might find it useful to change the Buffer size to 40960 or even 49152. My tests seem to indicate that those settings are better for Vista, especially when using a USB port.
Don