Hardware recommendations

Support and feedback for Spin It Again.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

ron foster

Hardware recommendations

Post by ron foster »

I just finished recording a few record sets where I attempted to put three side on one cd. After creating the cd's I listened to them to find that the first side was very clear but as I got to the second and third side the recording was all distorted. After reviewing Eric's hardware recommendations at Demon Digital, I am concluding that my old Dell 2400 with 2G of ram can't hold that much data before sending it to the cd burner. Eric' article was helpful but, if I need to get a new computer, I would like to really upgrade so that I can increase the bit depth to 24 and sample rate to 192 for some of my records. When I set the program above 16 and 41 it distorts during the recording phase.
Can you suggest some processors and other specs to consider? At this time I'm looking at machines with Intel Core i 3or 5 with 6-8 G of ram.
Thanks for your help, I'd like to get this set up right and get on the music part.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You don't need a super fast computer to make good recordings. When you say that the sound for the second and third sides was distorted, what do you mean, exactly? What did it sound like?

Also, if you're burning CDs, the quality doesn't need to be better than 44100 Hz and 16-bit stereo, because that's the quality format of a standard audio CD.

Greg
Don Hall

Post by Don Hall »

Hi
Although I agree 100% with what Greg has said; there is something of interest in what Eric has said. Certainly, it is important to consider what else you have running. We used to emphasize removing unnecessary items in the startup menu as a precaution. Also, I recently had a conflict with my removeable backup hard drive actioning while I was using SIA, so do look to these type of possibilities.

Don