How do you fix a bad track?

Support and feedback for Spin It Again.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

srconrad

How do you fix a bad track?

Post by srconrad »

Hi, I've been using SIA for a little while now with really good success. However, I have an issue and I'm not sure if there's a good solution other than starting over.

When I record my albums, I don't have time to monitor them to make sure every track recorded without skips. I've recorded about 30 albums so far but have discovered after listening on my mp3 player that a couple of them have skips in a particular track.

I make both mp3s and CDs of each album that I convert. What's the best way to fix the offending tracks? I'd like to fix it both for my mp3 player and re-burn the CD with the fixed track. Is there a way to do this without starting over from the top? Thanks.
Don Hall

Post by Don Hall »

Hi
Often there is a track or 2 that was played more that the others. And no amount of SIA can fix it.
What I do is, turn to Itunes. I download the song and save it to the same folder that I made for the record. I delete the bad copy and rename and renumber the Itunes song. Works great. You can't fix junk; just replace it.
For 99 cents and a little time and much less STRESS, I get a good finished product. You can search your Library first if you like. Sometimes you have the song in a collection that you can drop a copy into the album.

Good Luck

Don
srconrad

Post by srconrad »

Thanks for your reply, Don.

The albums and tunes (jazz) I'm converting aren't available on iTunes. I know I have to try cleaning the album better and maybe weight the stylus heavier to fix the skip in my recording.

My question is more of once I have a clean version of the track recorded, how do I integrate it into a CD with the other good tracks and replace the offending track on my mp3 player?
srconrad

Post by srconrad »

I think I understand how I could replace the mp3 file by re-recording the track and then making it into an mp3 files with SIA and then replacing it. But, I don't see how I can recreate a new CD replacing the offending track.

Well, maybe I do but it would have to be outside of SIA. I guess I could use SIA to make all the tracks into wav files plus make the newly recorded track into a wav file and replace the original file with the skip in it. Then using an external program I could burn the wav files onto a CD.
Don Hall

Post by Don Hall »

Hi
You can also copy the CD to a file on your Computer. Then delete the bad song in the file and add the new copy of the song that you made for th Ipod. Then reburn the list. Then throw the bad CD away.
srconrad

Post by srconrad »

I just want to make sure that the CD contains the full fidelity original wav files and not the compressed mp3 files.
srconrad

Post by srconrad »

I just wanted to follow up that I was able to fix my bad tracks by re-recording them in SIA and then making wav and mp3 versions.

I could then replace the mp3 versions in iTunes for my mp3 player.

As far as the CD, I had to make wav files from the original recording and replace the bad track with the re-recorded wav file. Then, import this wav version of the CD into iTunes where I could burn a new CD with the fixed track. Then go back and delete the wav version of the album (I still had the mp3 version).

I wish there was a feature built into SIA to make this process easier to replace bad tracks.
Don Hall

Post by Don Hall »

Hi
The Key is to catch it before you make the CD. If I have been away from the computer while the music was recording, I spot test about 5 places in each song to see if there might be a problem. Also, I have carefully looked at the record with a magnifying glass while I am deep cleaning it. I then know to listen more carefully at any suspect point.

Don