I want to rebuild old computer around sia need info!!!

Support and feedback for Spin It Again.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

izzyeinstein

I want to rebuild old computer around sia need info!!!

Post by izzyeinstein »

I am going to rebuild my old computer around sia software.total ground up. the computer will only be used to record archive and burn cds. need info on hard drive size RAM soundcard drivers anything i can start putting on a list for my tech/repairman to look into. thanks for any/all help!!
jc836

Dedicated computer

Post by jc836 »

You don't tell us what you have, so I assume that it is a machine capable of running XP as your operating system. Any machine more than 5 years old will have some limitations. Anything earlier than that is generally not acceptable today and is also unsupported by most software let alone Microsoft.

With that said-you should consider installing the largest Hard Disc Drive that the motherboard will accept. Older machines with EIDE will handle up to 320 GigaBytes easily. This size should be sufficient for the most part. As to memory-XP allows up to 3 Gigbaytes, but 1 Gig will work. Sound cards can be either an internal chip or a card in a PCI slot. There are many available at all sorts of price points. Generally, the Creative Sound Blaster card will do a nice job, but you might want something better. Several cards are on the Musicians Friend and Guitar Center websites that fill the need.

Hope this helps you with your project.
Don Hall

Post by Don Hall »

HI
I agree on the Sound Blaster. In records there is a lot of quick changes in Volume; i.e. even external loud sounds inserted into rhe music.

RAM is in pairs so it's 2 or 4 as I understand it; [Also 2 X 500 MB is a pair]. I Just realized that you can get 3GB by using a 1 GB + a 500 MB on each side. I would get the 2X2 for the dif in price].

I would also make sure that I had a dedicated USB Port for your device, not a hub. Research this if you don't agree.

Also, there are a number of us who use SIA and have our USB Codec devices in a drawer somewhere. There are better and more direct ways to hook a stereo or taped deck or a turntable with a good preamp to a computer.

Some of this is like getting Hearing Aids before you need them [As I Just did, Ha Ha] turning 80 in a few months.
Don
izzyeinstein

Post by izzyeinstein »

the computer is xp. it will be built from scratch to be my sia computer! don i have @ 4 usb on this computer dont think im using a hub. and why did you put your audio codex in a drawer? i know nothing of the internals of computers. im just trying to get name brands sizes compatability issues sia users feedback on the best products ect..sorry seems like a silly forum topic but I will build this machine!!! lol the more info i bring the comp tech the easier/faster it will get done.
Don Hall

Post by Don Hall »

Hi Izzy
The way that I [and many others] hook up is by using an Ipod cord [or more sturdy similar cord] to go directly from an Earphone Jack to the computers line in input. This type of hookup isn't approved by SIA but I have been sucessfully using it for over 2 years. I just had too many problems with the Codec, as you are.
Don
izzyeinstein

Post by izzyeinstein »

thanks don I have what i need to do that (I think) i'll give it a try and let you know.
Don Hall

Post by Don Hall »

Hi Izzy
Whichever way that you go, you should review your settings. We were a bit remiss in not asking you to do so from the beginning.
In the settings box on the "What would you like to do" page the settings s/b
Playback Device [your sound card] Recording Device [Your Sound card for the 'Line In' method] and USB Codec for the Codec method.

Sample Rate 44100 Number of buffers 16
Bit Depth 16 Bits Buffer Size 32768
These can be modified by expereimenting but you should start with these settings. [It might answer your original problem].

After these are set; Click "Record a Vinyl Record" then click "Level Wizzard". A panel will open at the top left. It should show that your "Soundcard' is your soundcard and your SOURCE is USB Codec is correct when using the Codec and "LINE IN" is correct if you are using that.
If Not, correct the settings. This is a most imprortant step.

Hope that this helps
Don
izzyeinstein

Post by izzyeinstein »

thanks don. all these settings and steps im aware of and they are correct ive messed with different buff sizes and numbers with no luck.(I wish it would be that easy!) when you run direct into the computer what do you send in? my preamp has only usb out put so how can I send out from stereo? its not an good old one that has pre in and post out. I will explore this set. thanks again -david
Don Hall

Post by Don Hall »

Hi David
I only mentioned it because I thought that you had RCA to the Codec
Forget that I mentioned it.
Don
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

How is your cassette deck/Turntable connected to the USB unit? If by RCA cables, just skip it and connect the RCA cable to the computers line in jack. Unless you are using a laptop in which case most laptops don't have a line in jack.
You'll need a cable that looks like this: