Stereo to computer setup

Support and feedback for Spin It Again.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

electra225

Stereo to computer setup

Post by electra225 »

I think my first question, "Is SIA compatible with Windows 7 64 bit" has been answered. (Yes, it is). There was a comment made on a post I was reading about someone destroying their receiver and other gear before "he got it right". I have no intention of destroying my stereo gear, most of which I have had since the early '70's. What I want to do is to use my Pioneer SX-1050 receiver as the basis of my system. I have two turntables, one for LP's and another for 45 and 78. I have an Akai M-9 RR deck, a Sony dual cassette deck, two CD players, and an eight track player. I want to take audio from the tape monitor jack on the back of the graphic equalizer as input to my computer. Then the audio out from the computer to a tape in jack on the equalizer. I am building a small home broadcaster so that I can hear whatever is going thru the receiver on my old antique AM radios, that I collect and restore. If I want to change the sound, like on really old 78's for instance, I can turn the equalizer on to do that. If it sounds okay like it is, I can run the system "barefoot" and leave the equalizer off. This, theoretically, should give me greater flexibility in recording old vinyl and tapes. The only way I know of killing my receiver is to short out the output transistors, but I guarantee that the computer will go first. Any thoughts would be appreciated......GGRE
Don Hall

Post by Don Hall »

Hi
A couple of comments.

First, I don't understand this line.."Then the audio "out" from the computer to a tape in jack on the equalizer".

Second, you have to be careful with two prong plugs on the various old Stereo equipment you mention. If they are on the same breaker [or fuse] as your computer. The old stereo equipment is nice but you have to determine the polarity on the plugs.

I can't comment on the rest as I would like to see the correction note in my first comment first.

Don
electra225

Post by electra225 »

Don....thanks for your input. There is a 1/8 red connection on the back panel of my computer tower marded "digitalo audio". According to HP, this is a line-level audio output source that I can connect to my receiver. I need more clarification on your concerns about plugging my stereo components into the same outlet as my computer. The stereo system is on two different circuits and the computer is on yet another circuit...seperate breakers in my bonded circuit breaker panel. What is your concern about my using old stereo components? Hum? A short causing damage? Those litte amps that are sold to use with turntables are the same basic principle as my receiver, just smaller.......GREG
electra225

Post by electra225 »

OOPS!!! "Marded" should be "marked" and there is no "o" on the end of "digital". Sorry for those mistakes. I haven't drunk enough coffee this morning. The only concern I have is that my input to the computer is a line level input with no way to control the volume. (ahead of the volume control). It has always worked okay with tape decks, etc, but I am learning that computers are another thing altogether. I am hoping that Level Wizard will work like the input controls on a tape deck and will compensate or control the inut volume. Thanks for sticking with me on this.........GREG
Don Hall

Post by Don Hall »

Hi
I still don't understand what you are doing after the music [stereo] goes to the computer. SIA has build a volume control into the program. You set it by testing records or tapes first to get the proper volume. There is also an equalizer build into program where you fix "Clicks and noise.

The normal setup can be established by using the "Hookup Wizzard".
Basically, you hook up your deck/and or phono to your stereo using RCA Plugs.
Then "Tape Out" or "Earphone" FROM the stereo to your computer "Line In".

You can also add your Equalizer by going , Tape Deck/phono to Equalizer to Stereo to computer. The SIA Process digitizes the music to your computer, and/or to a CD. I keep my music in "Media Player" and 'Itunes' [for backup]. After it is digitized and captured on your computer, you can do what you want with it.

I hope that you follow.

Don
electra225

Post by electra225 »

Thanks, Don. We are on the same page, we each find a different way to say it. I am going to get the software and go from there. I am really looking forward to this being easier than Nero and Windows ME. With my old computer, all I could record at one time was one side of a record. I had to use CD's that I could add to. It was really slow, but I got it done. My old computer had 128mb of RAM and a 30 GB hard drive, so it filled up/slowed down really fast. With 8GB of RAM and a 1TB hard drive, it should work better. I am going to load my music on an external hard drive and use Media Player to burn. Thanks again......GREG