Audio Signal too Quiet

Support and feedback for Spin It Again.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

lyonsro

Audio Signal too Quiet

Post by lyonsro »

When attempting to record from a vinyl LP, the sound from my computer speakers is loud and clear, but the audio signal (Level Wizard) is no more than ~1/5 of the maximum. Error message: "audio signal is too quiet"

System Info:
Denon DP-300F turntable; Dell XPS410 desktop PC running on Windows XP (SP3); Audiphile M/M phono preamp (TC-750LC); Creative SoundBlaster Audigy SE soundcard ("SBA"); preamp output jack goes directly to line-in port on soundcard.

Control Panel Settings (Sounds and Audio Devices):
Volume: SBA device=high
Audio: Sound Playback=SBA; Sound Recording=SBA (only other choice is "Modem#0 Line Record")

SIA Settings (v. 2.5b46)
Audio: Playback=Default Wave Device (choices are SBA or Modem#0)
Recording (Level Wizard): Soundcard=SBA; Source=Line-In; Vol=high

I'm beginning to wonder whether I have a defective line-in on my soundcard.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Don Hall

Post by Don Hall »

Hi
Your Audio Playback should be SBA
lyonsro

Microphone Solves the Puzzle!

Post by lyonsro »

You are correct, both the Playback and Recording devices need to =soundcard ("SBA"). However, that setting alone does not solve my weak audio signal issue.

By trying various combinations, I found that my input source (as shown in Level Wizard) must be set to "microphone". In that case, my audio signal increases about 10x and I'm a happy camper. In fact, the signal gets too strong when I push up the microphone volume slider. But I still do not understand why Input=Line-In does not work well for my audio recording.

Thanks for your assistance.
Don Hall

Post by Don Hall »

Glad to be of help.
I don't understand either.
Should be source: Line In and Playback: Soundcard

On using the Microphone Jack, most are Mono not stereo. I would guess that you checked that.

Don
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Maybe the autosensing software that installs with the sound card has got the mic and line in mixed up? In any case, recording from the mic input will be mono, you most likely want stereo right?