Windows XP 64 Problem

Support and feedback for Acoustica Audio Converter Pro and MP3 to Wave Converter PLUS.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

Mike C

Windows XP 64 Problem

Post by Mike C »

I have used Acoustica Audio Converter Pro successfully on my previous computer,a 32 bit athlon processor. But when I install it on my new computer (64 bit processor), there is no option to convert in the "right click menu" for my audio files (MP3). I have the latest software (version 23). Any thoughts? Does anyone else have this problem?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Try converting a wave file (like maybe one of the wav files that come with Windows). Does that work?

We've got lots of other customers using Audio Converter Pro with 64-bit Windows.

If the problem persists, send us one of the MP3 files. You can email it to support (at) acoustica (dot) com. Please include a mention of this discussion.

Greg
Mike C

Post by Mike C »

Greg: Thank you for your very rapid response.
I have had some success - I can get the program to work on single MP3 files if I use "right click-select program-acoustica audio converter". I still do not, however, have the the "convert to wav" option among in the list when I right-click the mp3 file. Also, if I select more than one MP3 file to convert, the program will only recognize one of the files. Unlike with my 32bit athlon processor, which would convert a group of MP3 files if I selected several and then clicked on "convert to wav", each conversion must be now done individually. I tried an older version of the software on my 64bit machine, but the story is the same.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Try uninstalling the version you have and then downloading and installing a fresh copy from our website:
http://www.acoustica.com/audio-converter/download.htm

Greg
Mike C

Post by Mike C »

Greg:

Still no luck. I downloaded the latest version and installed it onto my Athlon 32 bit machine running windows XP media edition. No problem. I then uninstalled the acoustica audio converter on my new 64 bit athlon machine using your uninstall program and installed the same downloaded software. Same problems. Still no option on my "right click" menu. If you have other 64 bit machines out there running Windows XP pro and they are having success, then I am at a loss to identify the problem. I did notice that I did not have to re-enter my registration code after the uninstall-reinstall. I suspect that means that there is some Acoustica information that is residual on the computer, and this could be the problem, but I don't know where to find it. I do appreciate your help, and if you have any other ideas....
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Send us one of the files that is not producing the right-click menu. You can email it to support (at) acoustica (dot) com. Mention this discussion so we know what's going on.

Greg
Mike C

Post by Mike C »

Greg:
The plot thickens. I tried to convert same MP3 file on both of my computers (32 bit athlon and 64 bit athlon). No change from above - the conversions work on both, but the option to 'convert to wav' on the right click menu is not present on the 64 bit machine.

However-- If I open the CD Cover Creator program, click File-Open, select "show all files", then scroll to an MP3 file and right click, the "convert to WAV" option is present! I tried using it to convert both a single MP3 file and then a folder containing several MP3 files, and it works fine. It appears have a work-around that will allow me to continue to use your program reasonably easily, but you might want to investigate this problem with other users on other 64-bit computers.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I'm still not convinced it's a problem with 64-bit computers per se, because that would mean that 64-bit Windows is not very backward-compatible at all.

Anybody else out there using 64-bit Windows?

Greg
xavioz

Post by xavioz »

I am having the exact same problem as Mike C. I am running Windows 64 and do not get the right click menu on any files or folders. Do you have any ideas for a fix?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

What version of 64-bit Windows do you have, xavioz?

Okay, I just installed the 64-bit Windows Vista beta RC1 here in the office and I get no option to convert the files at all. I can convert to wave if I drop a song on the Audio Converter Pro icon.

Greg
xavioz

Post by xavioz »

I am running Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version 2003 Service Pack 1.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I've filed a problem report on this so it can be fixed in a future update to Audio Converter Pro.

Greg
SNewton

same problem with MP3 to Wav Pro program

Post by SNewton »

I'm using the MP3 to Wav Pro program and just installed it on my new Vista-64 OS. There seem to be two problems: no right-click options to convert a file (tried it on an mp3, a wma, and a wav); and if I drop the file onto the acoustica icon or choose "open" as a right-click option, it converts the file but ONLY to wav. I usually want to convert wma files to mp3, so converting to wav is kind of pointless. Further, if I have a wav file, I usually want to convert it to mp3, and I can't get MP3 To Wav to provide me with that option.

Any suggestions on how to "force" the program to let me choose conversion options ("from __ to __")?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

We don't have a fix for the 64-bit OS (XP or Vista) problem yet. At some point, we'll release an updated version that will fix this problem, but I don't know how soon that will be.

In the meantime, I wonder if you could open up an MS-DOS window and convert the files that way.

Click on the Windows Start Menu, and type "Command" in the "Start Search" box. The following command would convert a file to MP3:

mp3towave -3 "path_to_mp3"

You have to put the entire path to the MP3 file, so if the file were in your My Music folder, the command might look like this:

mp3towave -3 "C:\My Music\Yesterday.WAV"

This info in in the help file, but here are all the flags:

-3 (Convert to MP3)
-C (Convert to WAV)
-M (Convert to WMA)
-G (Convert to OGG)

Note: Audio Converter Pro can convert to OGG, but MP3 to Wave Converter PLUS can't.

Greg
SNewton

Post by SNewton »

Hi, tried running it from a command line in DOS but get errors there because, I assume, it can't find the program.

Alternately, I tried adding the -3 to the executable in the Acoustica directory (assuming that was the parameter for changing a wav to an mp3, but that also doesn't work.

So, just to let you know, the only conversion possible is to a wav file, and that is only possible if I drop the file onto the Acoustica shortcut (which is the path to the executable).

Thanks for the info though!