Brand new Scarlet 2i2 second gen noise (cloudlifter + sm58 )

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

pllunge96

Brand new Scarlet 2i2 second gen noise (cloudlifter + sm58 )

Post by pllunge96 »

So i bought yesterday a scarlet 2i2 second gen interface a cloud lifter and a sm58 connected them with cables witch i had already and tried to record in pro tools. I did a clean windows install before that. Then installed pro tools and the drivers . When i lunched it i tried to record just in the room so i can see how the hardware is working. I was able to hear a really annoying noise like wind in the mic when i turned the gain of the scarlet at max and also the headphone output. At first i though its from the mic but when i removed all connection to the scarlet interface and tried to recrod then with no mic the noise was still there. Also the mic is really quite even with the cloudlifter. Can u help me . I am sure i am making a stupid mistake somewhere
AHornsby

Re: Brand new Scarlet 2i2 second gen noise (cloudlifter + sm58 )

Post by AHornsby »

Sources of 'hum' can come from many places including household wiring. Things like having inputs close to transformers and open sources of RFI (do a Google search if you don't know what that is) can be sporadic in their appearances. Make sure the 'phantom power' is OFF. -h
pllunge96

Post by pllunge96 »

Phantom power need to be on to run the cloudlifter
pllunge96

Post by pllunge96 »

When i run the mic without the cloudlifter the noise is less but its still there (that is at max gain) when i run it with the cloudlifter the noise is more but that is because i think that the cloudlifter adds the 20+db
pllunge96

Post by pllunge96 »

OK. I am hearing the noise also when not recording even. I was just listining to some music through the scarlet 2i2 as a playback divice and the noise was still there to here but it was less.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Have you tried it with Mixcraft version 7.7?

Are you using a laptop?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
pllunge96

Post by pllunge96 »

i am using a desktop running windows 7 with pro tools
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I am not sure which I find funnier, the fact that this PT user question is posted here, or the fact that the OP will probably get better help here than on any PT user forum, or possibly even Focusrite's.......

1: Cloudlifter may be a great tool for some situations, but I am skeptical that it is needed here. Maybe take it out of the equation for now and come back to that.

2: I would expect the preamp in any equipment in the price range of the 2i2 to have noise at full gain, and I would suggest never running it there....... Not knocking the Scarlett, but that may just be an unreasonable expectation. Inexpensive preamps are known for adding noise when the level is set high.
Try setting it no higher than about 60% and addressing the level further in the DAW itself, and see if the noise is still present. Also, is the noise in the recording or just the headphones?

3: Pro Tools as I understand it well known for presenting recording levels on the meters in a way that appears too low when it is set ideally. Actually this is a potential problem for new users in most DAW's.
PT Ver. 11 has some enhanced metering tools that may be used to address this. You can also address the recorded wave form size if that is the perceived problem.

We don't know-
What is your recording level? What makes you think you need to turn the preamp all the way up? How much experience do you have? What, if applicable, were you using previously? What version of PT do you own?

More details needed. And as Greg kind of hinted, you Should try Mixcraft. It may not address the immediate issue, but you might find it far simpler to deal with. At the very least, it would make it easier for people here to help you!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
pllunge96

Post by pllunge96 »

i am installing right now mixcraft 7.7 .

You say i should remove the cloudlifter from my equipment. But i think that the gain i will be getting will be not enough. Also i bought the cloudlifter to get better recording sound quality with less noise ... the funny is i am getting a lot of noise :D
pllunge96

Post by pllunge96 »

Ok this is really annoying. So i installed Mixcraft. And i got to preferences and made the focusrite as playback and recording device and i was able to hear the noise through the headphones connected with the scarlet 2i2. Even when the mic is not on.
And not playing anythink. Just that noise going on and on.
pllunge96

Post by pllunge96 »

Also how can i load my Antares Auto Tune in Mixcraft. All my others plugins are listed but i dont see the auto tune
pllunge96

Post by pllunge96 »

I FIXED IT! So this is really funny . I unlpuged my speakers and my skype microphone from my pc and the noise is gone ! :D