Mixcraft Pro Upgrade Value

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

jwarv

Mixcraft Pro Upgrade Value

Post by jwarv »

Mixcrafters,

I am weighing the value of upgrading to Pro version (Any version number at this point). Not so much in terms of $ value but whether all the "bells and whistles" are a good fit for me.

In other words, would I be filling up my hard drive like a digital hoarder needlessly? Considering that, at the end of the day, all I ultimately need for a good mix is well recorded music and adroitly executed EQ & compression. (Just my opinion based on what I've read, discovered and experienced)

I'm curious to hear from those of you who have upgraded to Pro studio but feel like you still could have gotten the job done just as well with the standard version? Or do you feel that your recording/mixing/mastering has improved as a result of upgrading? And if so, how?

Sorry, Acoustica. I'm not trying to talk anyone out of upgrading. I think that most people could benefit from the upgrades. Plus, the shelf price is highly affordable. It's not an issue of cost, but more about economizing my time and controlling my impulses. This is the perfect place to get an candid answer from anyone who might have a similar experience.

Thank you for your indulgence.
Jason
Acoustica Greg

Re: Mixcraft Pro Upgrade Value

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The other factor to consider is that you'd also be getting Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio for free when it is released. Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio will include Melodyne and multi-out Omni Sampler.

To compare Mixcraft 7 and Mixcraft Pro Studio 7, check out this chart: Mixcraft Comparison Chart.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

Thanks Greg,

I did look at the comparison chart. Which is what led me to question whether I wanted or needed all those extras. I already have Melodyne Essential by the way. Now that's been a useful tool for me.

I just get the sneaking suspicion that I wouldn't be using all of those plugins very often.

Hmmm. :?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

After this sale is over, the upgrade cost for Mixcraft 6 or 7 owners to upgrade to Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio will be $99.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I think its a fair question, and one I once asked of myself.
It also tends to come up when a sale is running, and/or about this time in the count down to a new version release.

My own experience was several versions ago, and the motivation for me was Pianissimo. No brainer, pretty good VSTi and anything comparable that I could find was well beyond the upgrade cost.

But it does depend on your personal needs. And on one hand one must concede that if you are asking the question, that kind of answers itself. But on the other hand, if you catch the current sale price, its not a great loss if it turns out to have no benefit for you.
No one can decide for you.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
bobbyathome

Post by bobbyathome »

I upgraded from 7 to pro 7 about a month ago. I've been very happy that I did. Pianissimo is a great upgrade for piano. The acoustica instruments are pretty good so mainly I have used the instruments in ME80 and the others to overlay and enhance enhance those. Though you might find some real gems in Memory Moon, or Glass Viper. Depending on your music style there might be some real handy things. One huge point for me were all those effects. Since upgrading to Pro, I've been able to get just the right sound. So, yes, I believe the upgrade is hugely worth it.
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

Fellow Mixcrafters,

Thanks for weighing in. And you're right, the question is the answer. And my decision to make.

I find myself not wanting to become a "Pro version" guy. (reminds me of that Seinfeld episode...well, never mind)
But of course that's all within my power, isn't it? Anyway, I do believe life will be just fine in the standard world. Experience has taught me that, after the initial rush of excitement from all the new toys, I'm always back to square one. Plus, I already have some of more powerful plugins that are in the Pro version. (Melodyne, Pianissimo, Izotope)

It also occurs to me that there may be enough in the new standard version to keep me busy enough. Fact is, I've barely scraped the surface of some of the features that were added to Mixcraft 7. If that doesn't answer my question, nothing will.

So, thanks for letting me use this forum as a sounding board and reach a "sound" conclusion. Pun highly intended. :wink:

Jason
kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy »

jwarv wrote:Mixcrafters,

I am weighing the value of upgrading to Pro version (Any version number at this point). Not so much in terms of $ value but whether all the "bells and whistles" are a good fit for me.

In other words, would I be filling up my hard drive like a digital hoarder needlessly? Considering that, at the end of the day, all I ultimately need for a good mix is well recorded music and adroitly executed EQ & compression. (Just my opinion based on what I've read, discovered and experienced)

I'm curious to hear from those of you who have upgraded to Pro studio but feel like you still could have gotten the job done just as well with the standard version? Or do you feel that your recording/mixing/mastering has improved as a result of upgrading? And if so, how?

Sorry, Acoustica. I'm not trying to talk anyone out of upgrading. I think that most people could benefit from the upgrades. Plus, the shelf price is highly affordable. It's not an issue of cost, but more about economizing my time and controlling my impulses. This is the perfect place to get an candid answer from anyone who might have a similar experience.

Thank you for your indulgence.
Jason
I wouldn't be too sure of that. This is a common question when it comes to most DAWs in various flavors. I bought the Pro version when it was an incredible deal and it was my first license. I'm wondering the same when it comes to v8. I have so many plugins that what can the v8 Pro really offer me.