New install. Mixcraft handling 32bit VSTis in 64bit?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

creativeforge

New install. Mixcraft handling 32bit VSTis in 64bit?

Post by creativeforge »

Hi, I'm closer to have found the right DAW software for me, I'm quite pleased with Mixcraft so far!

I installed the 32bit TRIAL version as I wanted to have access to all my VSTis. Coming from Reaper and totally hated the whole ReWire box showing up even when I had 64bit VSTis installed (Kontakt for example). It made for a confusing GUI space.

What would you recommend: should I stay in 32, or jump to 64bit, and if so can I just install 64 on top of 32 or should I uninstall 32?

Thanks in advance!

André
Anorax

Re: New install. Mixcraft handling 32bit VSTis in 64bit?

Post by Anorax »

Both versions of Mixcraft can coexist on your machine, so it's really up to you! If you feel that you will need the extra RAM offered by 64-bit, then you can install that. Keep in mind that in Mixcraft 7, there is a slight issue where 32-bit plugins use slightly more CPU when in the 64-bit version than when in the 32-bit version, so there is some trade-off. However, the 64-bit version can happily load both 32-bit and 64-bit plugins.

I personally always use the 64-bit version myself, as my computer does not have any issues with CPU load, and I use Kontakt regularly so I really need the extra RAM access.
creativeforge

Post by creativeforge »

Thank for the quick reply!

So should I do a fresh 64bit install then? I will want the power (16G RAM I should be fine).
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

And then I manage to not give a quick reply. :P

Just run the installer, and when given the option to choose between 32-bit and 64-bit, choose the 64-bit. Then install like normal - the installer should remember all your defaults from the first install (other than it'll want to install to your "Program Files" rather than "Program Files (x86)" folder, which you should let it do), and soon you'll be on your merry way!

There's no need for a "fresh install," in this case. The two versions can install over each other without issue. This should remain true when Mixcraft 8 becomes available, which should release within the upcoming months.
creativeforge

Post by creativeforge »

All right, thanks! I installed 64 this morning and all is well. Now I can also see Omnisphere and EastWest PLAY. But I can't seem to be able to load Valhalla Room (reverb) although I'm pointing to the folder with the .dll file. Any idea?

Great software!