Mixcraft 7 Pro Studio 7 - how to create an accelerating BPM?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

spiralsofdanu

Mixcraft 7 Pro Studio 7 - how to create an accelerating BPM?

Post by spiralsofdanu »

Hi All

I'm fairly new to Mixcraft Pro 7 and am having a bit of a headscratcher moment.

I have created a Direct Input for reamping. The starting tempo is 80bpm, and from bar 15 to 20 it gradually accelerates to 130bpm.

In Mixcraft, I have set the markers with the different bpms, but when I go to the track automation I only have the options of pan and volume. However, in the 5 bar acceleration part, I cannot seem to create a graduated automation, which is resulting in the midi-mapped drums becoming out of sync.

Any ideas?

Thanks
chibear

Re: Mixcraft 7 Pro Studio 7 - how to create an accelerating BPM?

Post by chibear »

You probably need more markers. From my experience, an increase of more than 3BPM in a marker when attempting an accelerando will result in a rough spasmodic increase. Using my formula above, you would probably need 17 or 18 markers in the 5 bars.

However, why the MIDI drums would be out of sync is a mystery to me.

EDIT: On further reflection, when you add your markers, make sure snap is on and set to a resolution that when you add your markers you can snap them to an event in your MIDI drums. That should do it......I think.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

Mixcraft does not have any direct method of doing smooth accelerandos, which is a shame. It'd be a useful tool for sure.
mick

Post by mick »

The seemingly offending post has been removed. Twas but a suggestion for the back burner - no probs. :wink:
Last edited by mick on Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
spiralsofdanu

Post by spiralsofdanu »

mick wrote:This would be a good time to suggest a tempo track using automation points to increase/decrease tempo over a chosen time, here's a little example.
tempo.PNG
This is exactly what I'm trying to do.
I know I can do it it in Guitar Pro (where I'm creating my DI's) and in Pro Tools 12 (but I'm not a fan of the interface)... yet how do I do it in Mixcraft 7?

It is it a question of creating an incremental bpm on every single beat in each bar of the accelerating part?

Or is there an easier method, perhaps via some sort of automation feature that I'm overlooking?
chibear

Post by chibear »

You folks can fantasize about what would be a great feature, or fork out $500+ for a DAW that has that feature and live with all the complicated routing 'features' that come with it, or if you want to accomplish the task today, follow my suggestions in my previous post, because I would predict we are not going to see a 'conductor' or 'tempo' track any time soon, if ever.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
spiralsofdanu

Post by spiralsofdanu »

chibear wrote:You folks can fantasize about what would be a great feature, or fork out $500+ for a DAW that has that feature and live with all the complicated routing 'features' that come with it, or if you want to accomplish the task today, follow my suggestions in my previous post, because I would predict we are not going to see a 'conductor' or 'tempo' track any time soon, if ever.
The issue isn't really the money... it's a question of functionality. I have PT12, but am not really into the workflow or layout which I don't find to be particularly intuitive.

I absolutely adore Mixcraft 7, and I'm trying to explore an automation feature that can create the "acceleration" effect.

I have given your suggestion ago, but the end effect sounds like a series of steps rather than a gradated approach.

I open to ideas.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Track markers is the only way to do it in Mixcraft. Mixcraft 7 and 8 don't have an option to gradually increase or decrease the tempo, but track markers work well for most songs.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Slimy

Post by Slimy »

My solution to this has always been to just add a ton of tempo markers until I can't hear the difference.
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

Slimy wrote:My solution to this has always been to just add a ton of tempo markers until I can't hear the difference.
That occurred to me, and does indeed seem to be the best solution. The more markers installed, the higher the resolution, thus making the transition sound much smoother than with fewer markers. It's like comparing a low resolution picture with one that's of high definition.
mick

Post by mick »

Chibear wrote: You folks can fantasize about what would be a great feature, or fork out $500+ for a DAW that has that feature and live with all the complicated routing 'features' that come with it, or if you want to accomplish the task today, follow my suggestions in my previous post, because I would predict we are not going to see a 'conductor' or 'tempo' track any time soon, if ever.
I think I'm going to agree, I shouldn't have made the suggestion for a tempo track don't really know what I was thinking there,I must be going crazy as I recover from the flu. :shock: I predict we are going to see very little of any suggestion.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

mick wrote: I predict we are going to see very little of any suggestion.
It's true we aren't going to add any more new features to Mixcraft 8, because we need to release it, but what about all the customer suggestions we already included? Like VST3 support, nested submixes, light track background option, MIDI clock sync, multiple track selection, file browser option, MP4 video support, latency compensation for submixes, native sidechaining, mixer customization, automatic quantization of MIDI recording, enhanced stem creation, drag and drop effects, etc?

We have to cut off the new features at some point, or we'll never release the new version.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
mick

Post by mick »

Greg, Point taken and you and the hard working devs have my apology and I withdraw my comment.

BUT! My comment was initiated by the fact the piano roll has not been updated since it was introduced in Mx4, its as if you guys have totally refused to acknowledge its presence (I'm serious!) and this I just do not get at all because Mixcraft has a great sound library, in fact some of it is better than Miroslav Philharmonic but we need better access to it. More composing tools! I can input in real time but sometimes tricky bits require the diligence step input can offer, or adding chords to a melody line played in real time or again by step input. Using a mouse to input notes is a real PIA and an inspiration killer, you have to get the music written before any of the things you mention become of any use, I've been trying since Mx6 for step input and this is why I said "I predict we are going to see very little of any suggestion" I should have added "regarding the piano roll". So my apology is for not being more specific. Mixcraft is a great program but for midi users this is the weak link, and year after year it continues as such. Maybe someday soon in the new year you will add this feature as an update, it will make a difference.
aj113

Post by aj113 »

MC 7 has step input.
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

Acoustica Greg wrote:
We have to cut off the new features at some point, or we'll never release the new version.

You know, you could just make it ver. 8.0.∞

:) -h