Mixcraft upgrades (was Mixcraft Suggestions)

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

andrew7a

Mixcraft upgrades (was Mixcraft Suggestions)

Post by andrew7a »

I'd like folder tracks to be added that have no functionality except for organization.
OMG. I can't believe i missed this (considering the length of my suggestion list i thought i'd picked up on everything!).
Yes. Folder Tracks. Absolutely.

P.S. Has anyone else noticed that 'Add Track' and 'Insert Track' gives the same options! :lol:
andrew7a

Re: Mixcraft Suggestions!

Post by andrew7a »

RobertAllan wrote:
I already have Mixcraft 7, baught quite a while back, do i also get a free upgrade? Or just the people who purchase now?
It had better bloody well be free! If they're offering a free upgrade from 7 Pro to 8 Pro now then it had better apply to those who previously owned 7 Pro otherwise Acoustica would be completely screwing over their existing customers which i can't believe they would do.

If i understand what Mark said was that if you owned the standard edition it might have made sense to upgrade to the pro version if you're going to get the free upgrade in any case.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

If you mean me, I said no such thing.

If I purchased MX 7 more than a month, (maybe two) ago, before the offer to include the upgrade was presented, I'd fully expect to pay the modest upgrade price, since I had been getting the use of the program I had paid for.
And unfortunately there has to be a timeline drawn somewhere.

The purpose of the offer is for people who purchase now, just before the new version release. It certainly cannot be expected to include all existing users. That would kind of discourage developing new versions wouldn't it?
Its a generous offer that helps insure people don't buy only to find out an upgrade is available shortly thereafter, and to discourage people who might be considering a purchase now from deciding to wait. Plain and simple.

As was pointed out elsewhere, expecting it to be free for all would be like going to trade in your used car and expecting to get the latest model, with all its extra features and functions, at no cost.....

Clarification, in case there is some misunderstanding:
If a new customer for example purchases Mixcraft 7 right now, $84.95, the upgrade to 8 when released (VERY shortly to be announced) is included. Existing customers who have been using the program possibly as long as (what two years?) can upgrade to Mixcraft 8 for the modest fee of $29.95.
Other scenarios are very similar, refer to this page for details: http://www.acoustica.com/cgi/upgrade.php?p=16
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
RobertAllan

Post by RobertAllan »

Mark Bliss wrote: Clarification, in case there is some misunderstanding:
If a new customer for example purchases Mixcraft 7 right now, $84.95, the upgrade to 8 when released (VERY shortly to be announced) is included. Existing customers who have been using the program possibly as long as (what two years?) can upgrade to Mixcraft 8 for the modest fee of $29.95.
Other scenarios are very similar, refer to this page for details: http://www.acoustica.com/cgi/upgrade.php?p=16
Maybe im missing something here, but looking at the upgrade page, it seems that upgrading from Mixcraft 7 to Mixcraft 7 pro is $74.95 (Of course that means that you get a free upgrade from mixcraft 7 pro to mixcraft 8 ) and i might totally have misunderstood this but that would mean that upgrading from Mixcraft 7 to Mixcraft 8 will be round $74.95?

RobertAllan
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

No, mixcraft7 to Mixcraft8 isn't on the page because at this moment, it isn't available.

It has been stated that it will be $29.95 for existing customers to go from MX7 to MX8.
I believe it has been stated that MX7 Pro Studio to MX8 Pro studio is $39.95, need to confirm.....

I am sure the page is going to be updated very shortly with the official public release, but at the moment, the deal is- for the new customer, buying now is the same as pre-purchasing Mixcraft 8, nothing complicated or unfair about that.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

It'll be $29 to go from Mixcraft 7 to Mixcraft 8 Recording Studio and $39 to go from Mixcraft Pro Studio 7 to Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
RobertAllan

Post by RobertAllan »

I know that from Mixcraft 7 to Mixcraft 8 isnt on the page yet, i just mean that looking at the "upgrade page" it looks like
upgrading from Mixcraft 7 to Mixcraft 7 Pro is 75$..
Glad to have it confirmed that its 29$ from Mixcraft 7 to mixcraft 8.
And btw i didnt mean that anything was unfair i just wanted to see if i read stuff right or misunderstood :)
Thanks Mark and Greg :D

RobertAllan
andrew7a

Post by andrew7a »

If you mean me, I said no such thing.
Yeah sorry about that Mark I was referring to Rolling Estonian comments. I only noticed after I had posted and you can't seem to edit your posts after the fact.
Its a generous offer that helps insure people don't buy only to find out an upgrade is available shortly thereafter, and to discourage people who might be considering a purchase now from deciding to wait. Plain and simple.
OK. I had this whole barrage of vitriol in my mind when I first began reading but this made me stop. Excellent point. Have calmed down now.

I just hope that this is a proper upgrade noting the many suggestions made here and not just some lateral patch.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Yep.
And my comment was not a direct reply to you Robert.

Just trying to clarify what some find confusing here. There always seems to be some kind of misunderstanding between "update", "upgrade" and the various terms of a new versions release.
andrew7a wrote:"I just hope that this is a proper upgrade noting the many suggestions made here and not just some lateral patch."
As always, development is incremental. Some suggestions made it, many did not. Some will be pleased, some will be let down. I find a moderate happy medium. :wink:
Given the length of your lists, you may find you are somewhat let down. But there's only so many things that can make it in each step. MX8 has a lot of nice little improvements. Personally I would say that it is a bigger step than v6 to v7 was, but that's just one opinion and its admittedly not an overachieving major overhaul if that's what is hoped for. That would take a lot more time and resources as well as expenses. There's some cool new features and functions, and I am sure more great new stuff to come in the future.

Its all good...... 8)
Last edited by Mark Bliss on Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Minor updates, like from Mixcraft 7.5 to Mixcraft 7.7 have always been free. Major upgrades, like from Mixcraft 7 to Mixcraft 8, have an upgrade fee.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
andrew7a

Post by andrew7a »

Just trying to clarify what some find confusing here. There always seems to be some kind of misunderstanding between "update", "upgrade" and the various terms of a new versions release.
I don't know if that was directed at me!

My point was (not aimed at Mixcraft but in general) that there is a difference between pushing development forward in terms of innovation; bringing an existing program up to the same standard as current competition and adding a new synth and calling it an upgrade. I personally hope for Option 2.
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

It'll be $29 to go from Mixcraft 7 to Mixcraft 8 Recording Studio and $39 to go from Mixcraft Pro Studio 7 to Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio.

Greg
This is truly amazing pricing Greg.

To put this in perspective, I was just on another forum and Bitwig announced that Version 2 is in beta and they have came out with a new license model. From my understanding it is $269 for version 2 for upgrading, but that includes a free year of updates and then you have to pay $159 a year after that. There was alot of complaining going on!!!

Hats off to the Acoustica team.
andrew7a

Post by andrew7a »

To put this in perspective, I was just on another forum and Bitwig announced that Version 2 is in beta and they have came out with a new license model. From my understanding it is $269 for version 2 for upgrading, but that includes a free year of updates and then you have to pay $159 a year after that. There was alot of complaining going on!!!
I can't understand the popularity of Bitwig. I've literally just finished going through the manual for that program (as part of my now yearly DAW examinations) and it wasn't until p 295 (out of 350) that I found something interesting. Bitwig appears to have excellent routing options and I can imagine it being quite a bit of fun mixing with their devices but that's a hell of a lot of money just for one thing :(

Hey. I just found the edit button :)
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

andrew7a wrote:
I don't know if that was directed at me!.
No, really another general comment about the frequent and seemingly common confusion expressed here and in other threads when it comes to the various offers and pricing.
andrew7a wrote:My point was (not aimed at Mixcraft but in general) that there is a difference between pushing development forward in terms of innovation; bringing an existing program up to the same standard as current competition and adding a new synth and calling it an upgrade. I personally hope for Option 2.
My experience continues to be that Acoustica tries to find a reasonable balance between the three, in an effort perhaps to please the broadest base. And thus, in the case of Mixcraft 8, IMO there is a bit of innovation, And as far as #3 goes, there may be something of interest for some Pro-Studio customers.
Some of the many tweaks and features have been revealed in various threads here, some are yet to be officially announced. My impression, this upgrade is not centered or focused on plug ins, virtual instruments etc. by any means, but there's some cool new stuff there.
The integration of Melodyne essentials is pretty big though, and many should find that worth the cost of upgrading in itself.
But going back to that #2- Honestly, I am finding it hard to reply to that without unintentionally sounding "snarky", which I have no desire to be.
First of course, it depends on your definition of "current competition" right?

Let me explain by relating my own experience with the software.
Prior to Mixcraft all my audio experience was old and analog. I had experimented a little with Audacity, which at the time was a pretty basic bare bones application.
I decided to explore further. But I was returning to multitrack and mixing very new to the digital realm.
I downloaded and explored the trial version of Mixcraft 4.5 and was very intrigued. By the time I began to get a feel for it Mixcraft 5 was just being released and I decided to purchase the program. I don't recall the price at the time, but I do recall it blew my previous experience exploring v4.5, much less Audacity away. Did I expect Pro-tools etc. at that price? Certainly not!
Seemingly in no time I found my self considering Mixcraft 6, and was amazed at the value of a modestly priced upgrade.
Then I decided to upgrade to the Pro-studio version. I would not say the additional plug ins and such were really useful to me, beyond the reason I made the decision, which was Pianissimo. Worth the cost by itself IMO and I never regretted it.
The final build of MX6 was pretty good IMO, and I had become very familiar and comfortable with it.
Then along came version 7 and soon after I upgraded again. Another incremental improvement, nothing earth shattering. It ran better on my system and added a few nice useful features. Did it make it equivalent to Studio one etc? No, and I never expected it would.
Now we are faced with version 8. $39.95 to move forward. A bunch of useful improvements, and the bonus of Melodyne essentials, which once again, is worth the cost alone IMO.
Do I expect it to make Mixcraft equal to a $300+ DAW? No.
It does what I need for the most part though, and if I really needed the $300+ DAW I would get it. I don't at this time. If I did I would buy one or more of those programs as needed.

And in the interest of honesty and full disclosure, I have two other audio applications I have been using for some very specific purposes simply because of features Mixcraft did not have. One hasn't been opened since I started beta testing Mixcraft 8 because it has functions that eliminate that need. The other? Not yet. Here's hoping that a future version will eliminate that situation. But I am not complaining, even with all three combined expenses I am not spending big boy DAW money and am very pleased with the capacity of what I can do. Its amazing really!
And my experience and interaction with Acoustica over time has made me a very big fan. This gang would be welcome to hang out for BBQ and beer, or whatever anytime if it weren't for the drive time.......
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Mark Bliss

Re: Mixcraft upgrades (was Mixcraft Suggestions)

Post by Mark Bliss »

^^^^^

Yeah, we wandered a little too far off topic. Sorry 'bout that chief! :lol:
get-smart.jpg
get-smart.jpg (25.82 KiB) Viewed 6537 times
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page