Mixcraft upgrades (was Mixcraft Suggestions)

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

andrew7a

Re: Mixcraft upgrades (was Mixcraft Suggestions)

Post by andrew7a »

Mark,

I agree with everything you have said in your previous posts (although I don't get the shoe picture!).

I just want to further clarify what I was getting at and then put this one to bed.

When I talk about bringing a program up to the same standard as current competition I should have been more clear.

Take for example track folders (which I'll admit I only just picked up on). This was in Sony Acid (I believe back in 2007!) and as far as I can recall (I've been going through a LOT of sequencers, virtual studios, plug-in chainers, etc recently and my brain feels like it has melted) it is in EVERY major DAW. Why? Because it makes sense. Someone introduced the concept and eventually others saw that it was a good idea and incorporated it into their program. And yet as far as I am aware this isn't a feature of Mixcraft (i've moved away from it for a while so If I'm wrong please correct me).

What I'm talking about isn't about Mixcraft trying to mimic every NEW release of other daws. What I'm talking about is reflecting conventions that have been around in various daws for years. Another example, where's the Event Viewer. We're dealing with midi here and not to have something that you can actually inspect and edit cc values for example is beyond me. Again look at other DAWS from years back.

In other words I guess what I'm saying is I like software to evolve even if its by standing on the shoulders of giants. A few years back only premium soundcards could handle 192Khz - now even built-in ones can.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: I love Mixcraft and haven't ever regretted buying it. I just wish it was as comprehensive about the basics as the others. Give me that over the bells and whistles of other DAWs any day of the week.
JonInc

Re: Mixcraft Suggestions!

Post by JonInc »

andrew7a wrote:... you can't seem to edit your posts after the fact....
Sure you can. Go to one of your previous posts... In the upper right of the window, there's a row of icons, the first one looks like a pencil.

Click that, and your post comes up in edit mode. Now you can freely edit the test, and when you're done, click "submit".

The pencil will be there in all of your posts -- unless you've logged out.
andrew7a

Post by andrew7a »

Sure you can. Go to one of your previous posts... In the upper right of the window, there's a row of icons, the first one looks like a pencil.

Click that, and your post comes up in edit mode. Now you can freely edit the test, and when you're done, click "submit".

The pencil will be there in all of your posts -- unless you've logged out.
Yeah. I figured that one out last night but thanks for the post.
GenjiHarvester

Post by GenjiHarvester »

I'd just like to tip my hat to andrew7a. I like Mixcraft very much, but it's hard for me to give a full-throated recommendation in many instances due to it lacking some things on the MIDI side. The Event window/list is something so basic and potentially useful, and I remember chintzy freeware sequencers from decades ago having that view/function. The piano roll lacks the basic shapes and lines that are so useful for drawing smooth curves in the CC lane below. And the way MIDI instrument clips interjected at various points in the project don't match up with the measure numbers of the overall project (when you're viewing things within the clip itself) is very counter-intuitive and disorienting at times.

I also remember an older sequencer that would allow you to highlight multiple tracks/clips and when you went into the piano view of one of them you would see the notes of the others "ghosted" within that track. Very helpful at times. This is maybe a little less "basic" than the things mentioned above, but it's just these sorts of "meat and potatoes" things that I hope to see included at some point. The sounds and plugs MC comes with truly are great, but these are the sorts of things I'd love to have addressed before any of the more flashy stuff. And, to be fair, there is some indication that this is where much of the focus for version 8 is being placed.

There's a great deal to commend this software and I'm totally onboard with the soon-to-be-released next iteration, but some of these more basic oversights can be quite frustrating.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions!

People suggest hundreds of features, we add some of those features, then people make note of features we haven't added yet, and we have our suggestions for future updates.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

Hi Greg

I have Mixcraft Pro 7 and to upgrade to Mixcraft 8 Is a fantastic price.
When I purchased Mixcraft Pro 7 boxed It had a nice paperback manual with It .
Will Pro 8 have one available as I like to sit down and read a real book now and then..

OR/ will I be able to buy a boxed upgrade to get one
Just a request

all the best
john :D
andrew7a

Post by andrew7a »

I'd just like to tip my hat to andrew7a.
Wow! Thanks! I was starting to feel isolated!

I'm pretty sure FL does the whole ghosted notes and, importantly, they have the option to turn them on or off. This, user customisation, is something that I have picked Mixcraft up on quite a bit unfortunately :(

By the by one feature of Bitwig that I did like was the ability to show 'ghost notes' in the automation lanes which I thought mad a lot of sense.
Thanks for the suggestions!

People suggest hundreds of features, we add some of those features, then people make note of features we haven't added yet, and we have our suggestions for future updates.

Greg
Completely understandable. Sometimes I do feel a little guilty when I've re-read some of my posts that seem to always be slagging one thing or another off. At the end of the day I want Mixcraft to be the best that it possibly can, not just for myself but for everyone. The best praise that I can heap on Mixcraft is that Mixcraft was the first DAW that I actually bothered to make a list of suggestions for improvements. That is how much I cared. I also have to commend Acoustica for making it as easy as possible to bring those suggestions to the attention of the developer. As for other DAWs...
Gedcoz

Post by Gedcoz »

Hi Everyone, This has probably been brought up many times but thought I would throw it out there anyhow. What would be really cool is a themes/skins option. Were you are able to change the entire look of the GUI. Also were Mixcraft users can share different themes/skins that they have created. I've read the improvements there making with MC8 and they look amazing. But hopefully in the near future we will be able to fully customize the overall look of Mixcraft.
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

There are dark and light variant themes coming to 8. You could possibly create your own theme with a little bit of picture editing knowhow and with some tweaking of the right .ini files (or adding your own .ini files in the right place). I haven't tried anything of this sort yet, but I'll get around to it eventually.
kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy »

JohnS wrote:Hi Greg

I have Mixcraft Pro 7 and to upgrade to Mixcraft 8 Is a fantastic price.
When I purchased Mixcraft Pro 7 boxed It had a nice paperback manual with It .
Will Pro 8 have one available as I like to sit down and read a real book now and then..

OR/ will I be able to buy a boxed upgrade to get one
Just a request

all the best
john :D
Was it ever. I was only going to get the basic Mixcraft 8 but Pro 7 to Pro 8 was $40, couldn't turn that down.