Acoustica Instruments and Mixcraft 8

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

James Klutho

Acoustica Instruments and Mixcraft 8

Post by James Klutho »

Just downloaded the trial of Mixcraft 8. I playing around a little and I loaded Callisteia from Mixcraft 6 and Sword of Fianna from Mixcraft 7 into Mixcraft 8. I wonder if Acoustica Instruments got updated - they sound better on Mixcraft 8 (at least to my ear) but CPU usage went way up. When Callisteia is play which Mixcraft 7 on my i5 laptop, the mixcraft CPU usage hovers from 5% to 10% but on Mixcraft 8 the mixcraft CPU usage is be 25% and 32%. Sword of Fianna it averages about 15% on Mixcraft 8 and about half that on Mixcraft 7.

Just want to know if I am missing something.

Thanks
Jim
Acoustica Greg

Re: Acoustica Instruments and Mixcraft 8

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Are you using 64-bit Mixcraft 8? It takes extra CPU to run 32-bit plugins in 64-bit Mixcraft. That said, Mixcraft 8 may have slightly higher CPU usage than Mixcraft 7 due to new features like delay compensation on all track types. Even with the higher CPU use, performance is still improved because of optimizations we added, like moving the CPU meters to their own processing thread.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
James Klutho

Post by James Klutho »

Both the Mixcraft 8 trial and Mixcraft 7 Pro are 64 bit. So if I hear you right, the 32 bit Acoustica Instruments are unchanged. The Mixcraft 8 sound engine has changed and the mixcraft CPU meter reads quite a bit higher on these JBridged VSTs in Mixcraft 8.
James Klutho

Post by James Klutho »

I went ahead and installed the 32 bit trial of Mixcraft 8 to see how the Acoustica Instrutments did on that. The Mixcraft 6 Callisteia demo project mixcraft cpu usage was between 18% and 22% in Mixcraft 8 32 bit. Still quite a lot higher than Mixcraft 7 pro 64 bit cpu usage of 5% to 10%.