waves electric88 VST3 crashes [SOLVED]

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

phegi

waves electric88 VST3 crashes [SOLVED]

Post by phegi »

Mixcraft 8 crashes when I open Waves Electric88 VST3. That does not happen when I open Waves Electric2000 VST3. What can I do?
elaw

Re: waves electric88 VST3 crashes

Post by elaw »

Not that this helps much but I'm having the same problem... well a similar one.

If I open a blank project and select the Electric88 and use "musical typing", the instrument plays and appears to work fine. But if I add MIDI data to the track (by importing a file) and hit the "play" button the program freezes. For a while it's completely unresponsive, then seems to partially recover but thinks it's playing when it's not.

And regardless of whether I try to play the file or not, MC crashes when I close it.

I'm going to submit a support ticket, although I wonder how far they'll be able to get without having the plugin itself.
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

I remember a thread about getting MC to even get Waves instruments to show up in the vsti folder. Was looking at the 88 a while back and decided not to.

M
elaw

Post by elaw »

Yeah, MC7 wouldn't see the electric88 at all... something about the Waves instruments being in a "wrapper" that made them appear to MC to be effects.

MC8 sees the VST3 but as described above, has significant issues.
phegi

Post by phegi »

the strange thing is that electric2000 is ok and electric88 does not work, both vst3.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

phegi wrote:the strange thing is that electric2000 is ok and electric88 does not work, both vst3.
Hi,

The next time you have that problem with Electric88, quit Mixcraft and send us your mixcraft-log.txt file.

To find the mixcraft-log file, highlight the following line and press Ctrl+C to copy it:

Code: Select all

%appdata%\Acoustica\Mixcraft\
Press the Windows Key+R to pop up the Run box in Windows. Click in the Run box and press Ctrl+V to paste in the line from above. Finally, click OK to go to the location of the mixcraft-log.txt file. Submit an Acoustica Support Request and attach the log file along with a brief description of the problem.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
elaw

Post by elaw »

I just submitted a ticket.

I've found problems at two different times. I can open a new project, select the E88 for an instrument track, and play notes via musical typing or my MIDI controller forever seemingly with no problem. But as soon as I send a control-change signal (for example by moving the modulation wheel), Mixcraft freezes. Sometimes it recovers after a few seconds, other times not, or maybe I just didn't wait long enough.

Scenario #2 is this: I create a project, load a MIDI file, and select the E88 instrument for one or more tracks. When I press "play", playback will start but stop after a fraction of a second. After a few seconds it'll start again, then stop, and the cycle repeats. The timing seems different with different MIDI files... I'm not sure if this too is being caused by control change signals in the file.

And in both cases above, when you attempt to close MC it crashes.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

We tested Electric88 VST3 version in Mixcraft and had loads of problems with it. We'll check it out and see what's up.

Greg
phegi

Post by phegi »

Is there any news on this topic?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

phegi wrote:Is there any news on this topic?
Hi,

Have you tried it with build 380? You could also try it with the beta build (381).

Let us know whether it's still happening with those builds. A lot of things have been fixed since build 375.

Greg
elaw

Post by elaw »

I had already tried with build 380, just updated to 381, and no joy.

Phegi: for what it's worth, as a software developer I can tell you things like that can be really difficult to figure out. Finding issues in your own program can range from easy to hard, but finding issues with your program interacting with others is always 10x as difficult. :(
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Okay, I'll update the bug report with the info that it's still happening in build 381. Thanks!

Greg
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi again,

The crash is in Electric88, and we've contacted Waves with the information they'd need to fix the problem, but we haven't had any feedback on the issue yet.

Greg
elaw

Post by elaw »

For what it's worth, I contacted Waves' tech support about the issue and got this response:
Waves wrote:Dear Eric,

Thank you for contacting Waves Tech-Support.

Please note that Acoustica Mixcraft 8 is not officially supported with Waves V9.
This does not necessarily mean that it won’t work, just that our software was not designed for it nor tested and qualified to run with it. Due to this fact, we do not have a knowledge-base of possible issues. It might work fine, but if it doesn't we will not be able to assist.

Please refer to our Supported Hosts page for a comprehensive list.

If your host or host version does not appear on this list, we strongly suggest trying the 7 day fully functional demo to ensure it will work on your system before purchasing.

Let me know if you need any further information.
So it sounds like they basically don't give a damn. :(
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

We are in contact with them; we'll see what happens.

Is the VST3 version of Eletric88 working well in other programs for everybody?

Greg