MC 8 Submix Solo Bug

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

aj113

MC 8 Submix Solo Bug

Post by aj113 »

submix-in-submix-in-submix:

The solo buttons on submixes 2 and 3 don't mute the tracks in the parent submix.
Acoustica Greg

Re: MC 8 Submix Solo Bug

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If I solo submix 2, which is a child of submix 1, it mutes the track I have at the same level (child track of submix 1).

If I solo submix 3, which is a child of submix 2, it mutes the tracks I have in submix 2, because they are all at the same level, but it doesn't mute the parent submix 1.

I think this is the way it's supposed to work.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Acoustica Greg wrote:...
I think this is the way it's supposed to work.

Greg
Well if it is, it's not very good. A solo button that doesn't solo?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If it muted the parent track, you wouldn't hear anything. This is how it works in a bunch of different situations. For example, if you soloed one output of a multi-output instrument, you wouldn't be able to hear anything if it muted the track the instrument was on. If you solo a Send track and all other tracks are muted, then you wouldn't hear anything because no audio was being sent.

Dan suggests this metaphor: think of the nested submix as a mixer plugged into another mixer. If you solo a channel in that mixer, it only affects the channels in that mixer, not the channels in the mixer it's plugged into.

Greg
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Try to think of the user.

If I want to solo the submix I have to hit the solo button then hit the mute button for the parent submix. That's just plain ridiculous. Put it this way, if it isn't changed I won't be using that feature any more, and it's one of the main reasons I got the upgrade.
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

aj113 is quit right (with the behaviour of Mixcraft, not with not wanting to use it because you have to hit an extra button).
You don't need to go into nested submixes, a simple submix will do.
If you hit the solo-button of a track inside a submix, the rest outside the submix keeps noodling on. You have to hit the solo-button of the submix parent track too (better and more logic than mute anything), then you get the track inside soloed.
I complained about this in the beta-stage of Mixcraft 7 and got a similar answer, which I still don't understand, because a solo button means solo and not solo with anything else going on.
Best way to solve would be to solo the submix parent track(s) automatically when a solo button inside is pushed.
Isolating track 1.2.2.1 needs four (!) soloed tracks: submix 1,submix 2, submix 3 and the track itself. Software should be easy to use?
aj113

Post by aj113 »

How about solo button behaviour as selectable in the settings?

Just trying to reason with you chaps. Your mantra is that software should be simple to use. It's very confusing and counter-intuitive for a user to hit a solo button and then for that track not to be soloed. It just doesn't make sense.
mick

Post by mick »

Hijack . . . . Submix within submix within submix within submix within submix OR mixer to mixer to mixer to mixer then sends, then routing to track (whatever that is I never grasped that either) its all too much for yours truly, I'm keeping clear of it all to protect what's left of my sanity. :shock: Thank you for listening I'm getting a four track tape recorder - maybe. :D
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Sorry, wrong thread!
Last edited by aj113 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tranceprod Dan

Post by Tranceprod Dan »

I think the current way the solo works makes a lot of sense. (even with just 1 submix in play). That being said. with the addition of nested submixes it kind of starts to fall a part a little so maybe an option that does automatically mute instruments outside the submix and within the parent submix to soloize a specific instrument would be useful
Check out the Mixcraft subreddit
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Tranceprod Dan wrote:I think the current way the solo works makes a lot of sense. (even with just 1 submix in play). That being said. with the addition of nested submixes it kind of starts to fall a part a little so maybe an option that does automatically mute instruments outside the submix and within the parent submix to soloize a specific instrument would be useful
As a long time user, I can assure you it definitely would be useful.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Well, it isn't a bug, it's "works as designed." I'll pass along your feedback. That feature would require special case soloing that leapfrogs in the audio chain, bypassing the muted parent track.

Greg
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Well, it seems that something might be afoot in this regard in a future update. Stay tuned!

Greg
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I like the way this works at the moment (where solo mutes sibling tracks but not parents). It allows me to easily solo elements of a submix in the context of the entire song without having to manually solo tracks at the top level as I would if submixes soloed parent tracks. If I want a truly soloed submix it's not too much hassle to just click the parent solo buttons up to the top.
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

Well, it seems that something might be afoot in this regard in a future update. Stay tuned!

Greg
Excellent!