Build 378 patches are on the beta page

This forum is for use by the beta testing team. Team members can use it to discuss testing issues and help squash those elusive bugs.

NOTE: this forum is for beta software only. This is not a support forum for released software.

Moderator: Acoustica Eric

Acoustica Greg

Build 378 patches are on the beta page

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi all,

Patches to go up to build 378 are on the beta page.

This patch addresses resource issues that people have been having with Melodyne and more. Please test.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Tranceprod Dan

Re: Build 378 patches are on the beta page

Post by Tranceprod Dan »

The submix solo logic is very odd. After seeing this in action I think that there probably isn't a feasible form of this idea that can be used. it's nice in theory, but in practice with many instruments under a submix it starts to get peculiar when soloing between them as well as the parent submix. I hate to be a flip-flopper but I think that the way it was originally is probably the most intuitive and clean approach. Just my 2 cents on the new feature. I'm interested to see other peoples opinions on the change
Check out the Mixcraft subreddit
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I would strongly dislike the change if I were inclined to often solo tracks when mixing.

The only time I frequently solo tracks is when arranging and editing, and I generally don't place tracks into sub-mixes until I am at a mixing stage of a project, and I avoid soloing tracks for the most part when mixing. But there's always exceptions, and I would wish it to work like traditional hardware personally. It just makes sense to me.

The original method emulated the way sub-mixes would work traditionally with analog hardware, which was fine with me as I would mix the sub-mix as its own entity as I would on a console fed by smaller mixer boards. It just makes sense to me.

But that's not to say I don't understand that others work in different ways. And the fact that we are working in a digital realm makes all kinds of things possible that perhaps "don't make sense" to me. I fully endorse flexible use as long as it doesn't become burdened with unnecessary complexity.

My proposed enhancement would be this-
Make the solo buttons work as they did before by default, and add a "hard solo" option for sub-mix tracks. This could perhaps be an additional button, or accessible via a right click menu or modifier key on the "normal" solo button.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Tranceprod Dan

Post by Tranceprod Dan »

Mark i literally described the idea of a 'hard solo' to my friend exactly as that. maybe ctrl-left click would also solo the submix parent. The biggest problem is that if you have say 2 items soloed in the submix unsoloing 1 automatically unsolos the parent. this means you either have to resolo the parent or unsolo then resolo 1 child track.
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

Hooray for implementing the solo-feature in Build 378. Now I think Mixcraft works the way it should...nearly, because Transpod Dan is right, unsoloing one of two or more soloed tracks inside the submix unsolos the parent track, which is odd and unlogical and brings us back to the old behaviour. But that should easy to solve.

There was a short discussion about this subject going on recently in the user forum (MC 8 Submix Solo Bugby aj113 Tue Jan 31, 2017), and I was one of the persons that strongly asked for it.

Solo means solo. Let's face it, the fact that Mark had to invent a new term ("hard" solo) says it all. If you are the sole person in a room, all you should here is your own sole voice. If you here more voices, you may have a serious problem. Better go and see the doctor....
MC 8 Build 378 now behaves natural and logical (nearly, see above): soloing a track inside the submix solos the parent track(s) too, so that you can here the chosen track really solo.

I know that there are different ways to work on projects and the old way could be convenient for some and in certain circumstances, but for me it was a regular nightmare, as I use submixes in a very early stage. As soon as I have the drums reasonably together I put them in a submix, the same with voices, pads and the twenty odd takes I need to get the guitar played right. That keeps the project overseeable and neatly arranged. I then work in the submixes, and there it got tricky with soloing until now. Not too tricky - hitting an extra button (parent submix solo) was unconvenient but not that hard to do, but with the new nested submixes it got really confusing. Soloing a track in the second nested submix needed three solo-buttons to be pushed - until now. Thank you for giving the solo-button its meaning back!

The other thing I'm still missing concerning solo/mute is a master solo/mute button, that unsolos all active solo/mute-buttons in one go. Adding a toggle feature to this master button (all solos off versus last chosen solo-setting) would be marvellous....
Tranceprod Dan

Post by Tranceprod Dan »

I still think a soft solo (old logic) and a hard solo (new logic) is the best solution. I actually like that I can solo just 1 instrument in a submix and see how it sounds within the context of an entire track, but at the same time would like the ability to easily solo 1 instrument entirely without having to separately solo all parent submixes
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

RE: Build 378

Greg, I've used this build pretty heavily all weekend, editing audio, loading and editing some video, practicing and experimenting with Melodyne, and so far I have to report that it appears the crew re-torqued the bolts and tightened up the build noticeably. Pushed it hard, got my computer hot and I am pretty pleased with how far we have come.

For me, clearly the most stable MX8 build yet.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Manfred wrote:The other thing I'm still missing concerning solo/mute is a master solo/mute button, that unsolos all active solo/mute-buttons in one go. Adding a toggle feature to this master button (all solos off versus last chosen solo-setting) would be marvellous....
Hi,

The master solo/mute is Ctrl-Solo or Ctrl-Mute. This has been in Mixcraft 8 all along.

Greg
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Acoustica Greg wrote:....

The master solo/mute is Ctrl-Solo or Ctrl-Mute. This has been in Mixcraft 8 all along.

Greg
Whaaaaat??? Holy crap Greg, you kept that one quiet long enough! Now all I can do is regret all those lost hours clicking multiple mute and solo buttons.....

Actually, having tested this, they are not master solo or master mute operations, they are master un-solo and master un-mute, because you can't toggle back to the last known setting. Unless............

...This gets better, if you have a load of tracks in solo, and you click Ctrl+solo on a non-solo'd track, that track is solo'd, and the others are un-solo'd. Awesome!

(Now all you boys need to do is fix the solo sync bug so that I can actually use this feature!)
aj113

Post by aj113 »

BTW I haven't tested the patch because it's beta. I run a studio and I can't risk untested stuff when paying clients are involved. But I'll give feedback as soon as the patch is released.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

aj113 wrote: Whaaaaat??? Holy crap Greg, you kept that one quiet long enough! Now all I can do is regret all those lost hours clicking multiple mute and solo buttons.....
I know I've mentioned it here on the forums. I should make a graphic tip for it.
(Now all you boys need to do is fix the solo sync bug so that I can actually use this feature!)
You could also get WaveRT working. :wink:
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

aj113 wrote:Whaaaaat??? Holy crap Greg, you kept that one quiet long enough! Now all I can do is regret all those lost hours clicking multiple mute and solo buttons.....
This. While reading the thread, it came back to me that I was considering adding it as an enhancement request in Bugzilla.

Good heavens....kind of revolutionizes my workflow.

This is in the manual?

Next you'll be telling me that there is a command to mute all effects.
-Erik
aj113

Post by aj113 »

OK so if you haven't worked this out yet, you can indeed toggle:

Ctrl+solo to to un-mute or un-solo.

Ctrl+Z (of course!) to toggle back to the prevous setting.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Starship Krupa wrote: Good heavens....This is in the manual?
Snuck it in on ya:
Shortcuts.jpg
Shortcuts.jpg (57.23 KiB) Viewed 11178 times
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

Well kept secrets now finally revealed ... I'm happy!