Can we run Mixcraft 7 and 8 side by side?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

bob53050

Can we run Mixcraft 7 and 8 side by side?

Post by bob53050 »

Sorry if I missed this in my search but was hoping to checking if this was an option for my Windows 8.1 laptop.

Thanks for any insights,

Bob
freightgod

Re: Can we run Mixcraft 7 and 8 side by side?

Post by freightgod »

Yes. 8 can open 7 files, but not the other way around.
bob53050

Post by bob53050 »

Thanks for the reply.

So no conflicting issues (dlls) with Mixcraft 7 and 8?

Bob
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

If by dll's you mean plug ins, not really.

Plug in's, project files, etc. are stored outside the Mixcraft program, so they are retained, generally creating little or no problem changing versions.

I think there have been some rare instances where an old project, opened in a newer version of Mixcraft loses track of where to find a third party plug in that was previously used. It should be easy to re-associate the folder or file and get it going again.

I usually leave the old version installed for a short time when I upgrade to a new version, but have found more and more..... its really not necessary. It just makes me feel better I guess.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
aj113

Post by aj113 »

MC 8 has plugin delay compensation. If you have nudged anything in your MC 7 project to maually compensate, MC 8 will play it out of sync.

For me, this means pretty much all MC 7 projects.
bob53050

Post by bob53050 »

Hello all,

Sorry for my vagueness in my original request:

I was asking if there are issues if I install Mixcraft 8 on a computer where I have Mixcraft 7 already installed and after installing Mixcraft 8 am I still able to use Mixcraft 7 in case I have issues with Mixcraft 8?

This is on a Windows 8.1 laptop.

Thanks,

Bob
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Yes, you can certainly do that. I keep Mixcraft 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 installed at the same time. Mixcraft 8 can even open Mixcraft 2 projects.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
bob53050

Post by bob53050 »

Thanks Greg :)
BillW

Post by BillW »

I just want to be sure from a licensing point of view. Are we allowed to run both 7 and 8? Simultaneously?

Sounds odd but I did this tonight. I am learning a song from JamTracks I bought (that has separate mp3 files for each track. I loaded each of about 10 tracks in mx7, and in mx8 I'm recording.

So I can go over to 7,play a section of one track, or some combination to get some5ideas, then bounce over to 8

In 7 I can slow down a section to learn it etc. Very little resources since it's just mp3 with no fx.

And I'll wait to add fx like eq and compression to my mx8 project until I've got it all and don't need the mp3 files in 7

But my question is, am I doing anything "illegal" by running both simultaneously?
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
Ajgi

Post by Ajgi »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

Mixcraft 8 can even open Mixcraft 2 projects.

Greg
I'm not sure if this is a sign of very good backwards compatibility, or a sign that Mixcraft 8 includes a lot of very old code :lol:
Ajgi.net
SoundCloud
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 Studio Monitors, Sennheiser HD280pro, Shure SM57,
aj113

Post by aj113 »

BillW wrote:....

But my question is, am I doing anything "illegal" by running both simultaneously?
No, you've paid for both so you can use them both however you please. But why don't you just ditch 7 and open up two instances of 8?
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

aj113 wrote:
BillW wrote:....

No, you've paid for both so you can use them both however you please. But why don't you just ditch 7 and open up two instances of 8?
If it ain't broke, why fix it?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Ajgi wrote:I'm not sure if this is a sign of very good backwards compatibility, or a sign that Mixcraft 8 includes a lot of very old code :lol:
Just giving the customers what they want: our customers love being able to open their old project in the new version. They'd hate it if the new version couldn't load old projects.
BillW

Post by BillW »

aj113 wrote:But why don't you just ditch 7 and open up two instances of 8?
My thinking is that 7 uses less resources than 8 - and since all i'm going in 7 is playing mp3 files (solo or in some combination of 2 or more tracks) why take up valuable cpu?

I actually thought of downloading Audacity (again under the "less resources" assumption) but I want to keep all my work in the MX family.

Thanks for the responses to my question. Good to know I'm not in violation of anything.
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Mixcraft 8 might use less resources than Mixcraft 7 in a lot of cases. For example, it uses less resources when loading 32-bit plugins into 64-bit Mixcraft. It also has other optimizations.

Greg