Stranded out in the Desert of 8 crashville

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Facto

Stranded out in the Desert of 8 crashville

Post by Facto »

I'm pulling my hair our here. Migrated from 7 to 8 and now constantly crash. Sometimes it takes almost 2 minutes for a track to load...if at all. Same track pops open quickly in 7. I've been a Mixcraft user for years and have a powerful PC. Tracks act like they are almost open, then stall. When I click anything it white screens. Emailed support with log file and no help. Nothing odd about the song files. They are not large. I have the latest build 380. I know there will be bugs to work out but opening a track?
Am I the only one out here experiencing this issue?
Win 10 64 bit; MX9 Pro; Intel i7-9700 CPU ; 32 GB RAM ... 2TB SSD
Starship Krupa

Re: Stranded out in the Desert of 8 crashville

Post by Starship Krupa »

I have been seeing longer load times, but not 2 minutes. More like 1 minute, but that same project opens in 15 seconds in Mixcraft 7.

I saw more crashing before build 380, but it seems to have settled down. I was a beta tester, so I started with inherently buggy builds and it's hard to say.

According to my log files folder, it's been 5 days since Mixcraft wrote a Crash.dmp file.

I don't remember Mixcraft 7 crashing EVER, though. It was one of the most solid programs I had ever used, given that Mixcraft is an audio and video editor and is somewhat at the mercy of 3rd-party plug-ins.
-Erik
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

Facto, is this only for projects that you created in 7 and are now loading into 8? Or is this for projects created in 8 as well? Is it for all or some? (I know you said tracks in your post but I assume you meant projects)
Facto

Post by Facto »

Thanks for the responses. Both 7 and 8 originated projects...but not all of them do it. What I've found is that if I open one of these projects randomly one of following happens:

1. It starts to load...status bar gets to say 50% at the bottom....then jumps back to 1% and it sits there. If take a break and come back 5 minutes later...it's loaded. If I click on anything before then it white screens.

2. It loads after a minute ot two. I hit play and it plays but the yellow moving progress bar is stationary. I hear it though. Then if I come back minutes later it will also play but then the bar moves as normal.

Same project will behave differently on opening each time I try. I open it in 7 and boom...10-15 seconds.

I guess I'll maybe just use 7 until things get more stable. For what I do 8 isn't much of a jump...but I do dig the effects insert streamlining.

Again thanks for responding....much appreciated!
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

Sorry, more questions (grasping at straws of course). I mean, tech support must have given you a few suggestions already if you opened a report with them, so I assume you've done simple stuff like uninstall/reinstalling...?

You say not all projects open slowly in 8. Do some particular 7 projects ALWAYS open normally in 8? Do you have at least one 7 project that ALWAYS opens slowly in 8? Would you be willing to share the entire contents of that project by uploading the files to a dropbox or Google drive account so someone else can try to recreate the problem?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Facto wrote: Emailed support with log file and no help.
Hi,

Eric made some suggestions based on your log file, like updating to build 380. If the suggestions didn't help, you should reply and let us know so we can keep trying to help you. If there is a problem with Mixcraft 8 that we don't know about, we want to fix it, but we need to you help us figure out what is going on.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I've had no lock-up or crashes upon opening to speak of, but yes, the program seems to load a little slower than MX7 did, and some certain projects seem to load a little more slowly. Nothing significant, but maybe 45 sec to 1 min? Noticeably slower than 7.

First tip, don't get impatient and start clicking on stuff, personally I have never found that to do anything but harm in any program. I think for me its been no big deal for just that reason. Some projects take a few moments more to load, so I let them load.....

I have been writing it off in large part to the extra time it takes to scan plug ins. I have a bunch of them that contain 32 and 64 bit VST and VST3's and it seems to me MX8 seems to want to have a peak at those folders and it causes some extra time maybe, where MX7 ignored all that stuff it couldn't use.

I may be off base there, but either way I do need to make some decisions and clean some stuff up there.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Mixcraft 8 also ignores DLL files that are not VST files, but both versions do have to parse the DLL file briefly to see whether it is a VST. Make sure you don't have non-VST folders in your VST search paths* and, conversely, make sure you don't install non-VST programs into your VST folders.

I just tested loading the "All Together Now" example project from Mixcraft 7 into both Mixcraft 7 and Mixcraft 8. Mixcraft 8 actually loaded that project faster: 18 seconds, compared to 23 seconds for Mixcraft 7.

As always, the devil is in the details: make sure you're comparing apples to apples and maybe there's some specific thing that takes longer to load in Mixcraft 8 than it does in Mixcraft 7, but we won't know what that is unless we investigate.

Greg

* Preferences > Plug-Ins > Edit VST/VSTi Folders.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Primarily, I meant we now have added vst3 to the mix.

Thinking about it, perhaps I made that association because vst3 plug ins themselves seem to load more slowly in many cases.

Either way, I have been feeling them out and deciding if I really need both installed. Then I will decide which stays and which goes I guess.

It's a lot of "stuff"
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

So, you're only noticing slower loading times with projects that have VST3 plugins in them?

Greg
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I haven't really evaluated that closely, because for me its just not that much of a problem. But I think there may be a link.

But adding a VST3 plug in to a project certainly loads the plug in far more slowly than VST2, maybe not always, but more often than not.....
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Facto

Post by Facto »

Sorry for the delay...was out of town on business. Mark, I think you're onto something. Seems to be scanning a broader spectrum. They eventually will load... just takes forever. An odd thing I noted is that sometimes it looks like it's loaded, hit play and it "plays" fine....except the vertical moving bar (for lack of a better term) is stationary.... but will eventually move.....sometimes in a jumpy, glitchy manner at first. These are just observations. I can live with it...just slows down workflow. Thanks for all the responses....you guys are invaluable :)
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Facto wrote:Sorry for the delay...was out of town on business. Mark, I think you're onto something. Seems to be scanning a broader spectrum. They eventually will load... just takes forever. An odd thing I noted is that sometimes it looks like it's loaded, hit play and it "plays" fine....except the vertical moving bar (for lack of a better term) is stationary.... but will eventually move.....sometimes in a jumpy, glitchy manner at first. These are just observations. I can live with it...just slows down workflow. Thanks for all the responses....you guys are invaluable :)
Hi,

I emailed you about this problem, asking for an updated log file. If you could send that in, it might help show us what's going on. As I said, when I tested loading a Mixcraft 7 project in Mixcraft 8, it loaded faster in Mixcraft 8 than it did in Mixcraft 7.

Greg
Facto

Post by Facto »

I know. Like I said I was out of town. As soon as I get a chance to replicate I will email you. Thanks
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Facto wrote:I know. Like I said I was out of town. As soon as I get a chance to replicate I will email you. Thanks
Hi,

Okay, just making sure, because it would be nice to know why some projects take longer than others to load, and whether there's anything we can do about it.

Greg