iZotope Neutron For Mixing Synths?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

AfxTwn

iZotope Neutron For Mixing Synths?

Post by AfxTwn »

Hi, I'm considering getting iZotope Neutron and possibly Ozone to help with my synth-based ambient music. I don't use a lot of drums or any vocals or guitars really. Just mostly recordings of my trusty MS 20 Mini and Microkorg and other synths to create ambient or drone music.

All the videos I've seen of Neutron show it mixing drums or vocals and so I wondered if you could also use it to just help with mixing synths only? I am a bit of a newb to mixing and mastering and so I thought Neutron would be ideal to get an understanding of the process and help give me suggestions and starting off points with my mixes.

Any advice would be great.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Re: iZotope Neutron For Mixing Synths?

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Do they have a trial you could download? That's probably the best way to make this decision since there do not seem to be a lot of people who've tried it.
AfxTwn

Post by AfxTwn »

Hi Eric, yes I've downloaded it and it works fine. I have tried using it on a couple of tracks and it seems to work fine so I might go ahead and buy it. The track assistant feature seem to identify a lot of my synth parts as a "clean" source rather than bass, drums, guitar or vocals which I guess is fine. It does appear to be listening to the synth part and then recommending EQ, compression and exciter settings for me to adjust as desired.

I also tried Ozone and added it as an effect on the master channel, however that doesn't have the same track assistant A.I. features as Neutron so you have to just select presets to as near to the overall sound you want and then adjust from there. I think perhaps mastering is something that is a little too advanced for me at the moment though and the cost of Ozone is significantly more than Neutron.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Sounds like you are evaluating well and I am pretty sure you'll make the best decision for your use.
comedians

Post by comedians »

I bought the, almost, giveaway bundle when Neutron was first introduced which included not only Neutron and Ozone 7 but several other packs, including vocal synth.
I find Neutron to be extremely useful in setting up a starting point. Certainly the track assist shows up where frequency's are covering each other which saves lots of time. It also includes several good compressors.
Ozone 7 likewise has a deal of presets which again give a good starting point, and, like Neutron each effect can be used singly on individual tracks like another vst.
For me Ozone 7 is best used in stand-alone for mastering but... did/do I need it ?. If you've got the cash it works well and can save time but you can get the same results from the Mixcraft Pro built in plug-ins.