440hz to 432hz

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

urantia2012

440hz to 432hz

Post by urantia2012 »

can our daw convert. I know audacity can, but want to stick with mixcraft 8 pro
Acoustica Greg

Re: 440hz to 432hz

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Are you working with audio?

1. Select the audio clip and then look at the sound tab.
2. Select Transpose.
3. Type -0.3 into the Pitch Adjustment box.

That will tune down the audio by -0.3 semitones.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
chibear

Post by chibear »

Not to be combative, but why??? While it's a small issue to players of stringed instruments, the shift would be a nightmare for brass, woodwinds, and tuned percussion, probably in some cases resulting in the need for expensive rebuilds or replacements. This subject came up several times at the university where I taught. The theorists were delighted, the performers terrified. The best article I have found thus far on the subject:

https://ask.audio/articles/music-theory ... om-fiction
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

:lol: Chibear.
I've played with two guitarists that insisted everyone needed to tune to their 432 tuning. I learned to never argue with them, they wont budge.
Each lasted exactly one practice session. :arrow:

Oh, and never borrow an electronic tuner......
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Ajgi

Post by Ajgi »

Mark Bliss wrote::lol: Chibear.
I've played with two guitarists that insisted everyone needed to tune to their 432 tuning. I learned to never argue with them, they wont budge.
Each lasted exactly one practice session. :arrow:

Oh, and never borrow an electronic tuner......
Lol that is the most pretentious requirement I've ever heard. There is completely no benifit to doing that, all it means is anyone with a non stringed instrument has a horrible time, and anyone with perfect pitch has an even more horrible time.
Ajgi.net
SoundCloud
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 Studio Monitors, Sennheiser HD280pro, Shure SM57,
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

I can't even imagine what it would've been like playing with those guys...... Actually, I do. Guy in my neighborhood had some folks over to play, beautiful studio area and great equipment. The guy was a complete dolt! I asked if I could bring beers, he said he wouldn't want people drinking around his studio/equipment. When we all left that day we laughed about it. Next few days an email came across seeing if we wanted to do it again and he suggested Sunday at 10 am!!!!! Um....... No.

So tuning down to 432 is about as ridiculous as that guy! lol

M
BillW

Post by BillW »

Interesting - I keep learning new things.

Just spent the last 45 minutes reading up on all this 432 v 440 stuff.

One interesting point is that shapes created in sand or water plates are more pleasing with 432 tuning vibrations than 440. And that since the body is 70% water, that might be a thing.

Also - the claim that John Lennon tuned to 432 for Imagine. But did he? Or is that how it came out from the tape machines - or to eliminate a buzz or whatever from the recording.

And what about the Trumpets Blaring last November? Did anyone catch their frequency?
(Not a political reference - they were blamed on both Obama and Trump. Urban legends are bi-partisan.

And is THAT what they meant when they asked Dan Rather "What's the frequency, Kenneth?"

Anyway - as a mathematician/statistician I do see the elegance of 432 since the frequencies up and down are in whole numbers. But frequencies are measured in seconds - not an arbitrary unit of time, but not precise either to the earth rotation - nor is the earth's rotation never-changing.

And to finish with a math/musical "dad joke / classic rock quote:
Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Aaaaand.......

Does anybody really care? :wink:
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

I don't care as long as I keep hearing horns like Chicago!

M
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I have no desire to mock or malign the OP and his interest in this alternative tuning. As I mentioned , this isn't my first introduction to it. Sorry we didn't even offer a proper welcome.

Honestly, I find the explanations to range from mostly a bit humorous to downright ridiculous and absurd.
But there is also a quite interesting element as well. Some fascinating maths that often raise interest, then fade into the weird and delusional again.

I like the "whole numbers" thing, but its just that IMO. Convenient math revealed.
BillW wrote:One interesting point is that shapes created in sand or water plates are more pleasing with 432 tuning vibrations than 440. And that since the body is 70% water, that might be a thing.
Makes for interesting visuals, but change the thickness or outside dimensions of the plate, or the volume and dimensions of the water pool ad I suspect the patterns change with it just as the frequencies effected it.
BillW wrote:Also - the claim that John Lennon tuned to 432 for Imagine. But did he? Or is that how it came out from the tape machines - or to eliminate a buzz or whatever from the recording.
Didn't catch this reference, but... IMO the "magic" of this song is in the lyric and the emotion that comes through the performance, not some spiritual magic frequencies.
BillW wrote:And is THAT what they meant when they asked Dan Rather "What's the frequency, Kenneth?".
No, William Tager was a psychopath in New York who was convinced the news was broadcasting messages into his head. Apparently he was driven to make it stop.
BillW wrote:Anyway - as a mathematician/statistician I do see the elegance of 432 since the frequencies up and down are in whole numbers. But frequencies are measured in seconds - not an arbitrary unit of time, but not precise either to the earth rotation - nor is the earth's rotation never-changing.
Like I said, I find this part as well as some of the other math based explanations interesting. Yet personally I find no real strong evidence of relevance.

Bottom line for me, while some of it is interesting, it doesn't change the fact that music is about heart and soul. Its not the specific frequencies but more about the mood and emotion imposed by a great lyric, lick or harmony.
Sometimes there is beauty in the frequencies between the "standard" notes to be sure, but that also is in the hands of the performer, not the basis of a tuning, accepted standard or alternative. Just an opinion.
There will always be things we don't fully comprehend. Tune to whatever you want and make some cool music. Be inspired and inspiring.

But if you want to play with others.......
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
mick

Post by mick »

I think (maybe) most of us accept there's a spiritual element of music but If anyone is interested in the cosmic one - assuming it exists, I found this:
What is 432 Hz tuning?

A=432 Hz, known as Verdi’s ‘A’ is an alternative tuning that is mathematically consistent with the universe. Music based on 432Hz transmits beneficial healing energy, because it is a pure tone of math fundamental to nature.
The universal music of sacred geometry
According to Brain T. Collins, a musician and researcher, the standard pitch (A=440 Hz) does not harmonize on any level that corresponds to cosmic movement, rhythm, or natural vibration. The greatest musicians, such as Mozart and Verdi, based their music on the natural vibration of A=432. It’s true that it is only 8 vibrations per second different from the standard tuning, but this small difference seems to be remarkable to our human consciousness.
There’s a growing musical and metaphysical movement for recovering optimal integrity in the music industry and spirituality through the 432Hz tuning. In April 2008 Dutch journalist Richard Huisken founded the ‘back to 432 Hz’ committee, claiming that this original tuning was used in ancient cultures and is found on antique instruments like the Stradivarius violin.
The healing benefits
According to Richard Huisken, music tuned to 432 Hz is softer and brighter, giving greater clarity and is easier on the ears. Many people experience more meditative and relaxing states of body and mind when listening to such music. The natural musical pitch of the universe gives a more harmonic and pleasant sound than 440 Hz.
432 Hz seems to work at the heart chakra, “the feeling”, and therefore could have a good influence on the spiritual development of the listener. Some people who are not able to distinguish the 8hz difference claim they can feel the music warmer due to the longer wavelength.
Listen to 432Hz and enjoy living in balance
Because 432 Hz gives a greater clarity than 440 Hz, there’s less need to play it as loud as 440 Hz. This means less hearing damage, as long as you put the volume not too high. Furthermore there’s also less noise pressure. Researchers and musicians, such as Coreen Morsink (pianist and music teacher), report that they feel calmer, happier and more relaxed when playing music at 432Hz.
Music based on this natural tone is more transparent, more marked, gives an obvious musical picture and the overtones and undertones moves more freely. Music based on 440 Hz represents stuffed emotions and blocked energy. By lowering the pitch by just 8 Hz, you became more flexible and spontaneous. The 432 Hz tuning releases your energy and takes you into a beautiful state, where relaxation is natural.
Where does it come from?
According to Ananda Bosman, international researcher and musician, archaic Egyptian instruments that have been unearthed are largely tuned to A=432Hz. Ancient Greeks tuned their instruments predominantly to 432Hz. Within the archaic Greek Eleusenian Mysteries, Orpheus is the god of music, death and rebirth, and was the keeper of the Ambrosia and the music of transformation. His instruments were tuned at 432Hz.
Orpheus playing at in harmony with nature
Guiseppe Verdi, an Italian composer, placed A exactly at 432 Hz. He did this because this tuning is ideal for opera voices. Jamie Buturff, sound researcher, found out that some Tibetan monks used this tuning in their hand-made instruments. He put a CD with Tibetan singing bowls into his player and used a Korg tuner to discover that the bowls were all harmonic to the 432 music scale.
This musical tuning can be found throughout various religions and cultures of the ancient world. It seems that implementing it into the musical instruments was a good choice. Even today, many musicians report positive effects from retuning to 432 Hz, such as better audience response and a more laid-back feel to their performances.
Why the modern world forgot about this tuning
This is because in 1885 it already had been decided that A at 440 Hz had to be the standard tuning. A year earlier, Guiseppe Verdi wrote a letter addressed to the Music Commission of the Italian Government. In the letter he writes:
“Since France has adopted a standard pitch, I advised that the example should also be followed by us; and I formally requested that the orchestras of various cities of Italy, among them that of the Scala [Milan], to lower the tuning fork to conform to the standard French one. If the musical commis­sion instituted by our government believes, for mathematical exigencies, that we should reduce the 435 vibrations of French tuning fork to 432, the difference is so small, almost imper­ceptible to the ear, that I associate myself most willingly with this.” Guiseppe Verdi
Unfortunately, the great composer was unsuccessful in his attempt. The American Federation of Musicians accepted the A440 as the standard pitch in 1917. Around 1940 the United States introduced 440 Hz worldwide, and finally in 1953 it became the ISO 16-standard.
There is a theory that the change from 432Hz to 440Hz was dictated by Nazi propaganda minister, Joseph Goebbels. He used it to make people think and feel a certain manner, and to make them a prisoner of a certain consciousness. The Joseph Goebbels theory is certainly interesting, but the true reason of the shift to 440Hz is still not clearly explained.
Before 440Hz became the standard, a variety of tunings were used. The controversy over tuning still rages, with proponents of 432Hz claiming it as being more natural than the current standard. Because of that, the “back to 432Hz” committee wants to get people acquainted with its qualities, and therefore hopes that the industry will change the musician standard.
However, changing the current standard won’t be a simple task, and it’s not because of the influence of any nefarious organization. In my opinion, the reason is more trivial. Most musical instruments can be adjusted in principle, but it’s not so easy for every instrument. For example, most woodwind instruments cannot play in 432Hz because changing the pitch will also change the internal harmonic structure of the whole instrument. The change would require building new instruments.
Let the music of the spheres play inside you
432Hz unites you with the universal harmony
This musical pitch is connected to the numbers used in the construction of a variety of ancient works and sacred places, such as the Great Pyramid of Egypt. It’s also more friendly for your ears. For many people, it is nicer for hearing – softer, brighter and more beautiful than music in 440 Hz.
432Hz is based in nature and therefore it generates healthy effects among the listeners. It brings natural harmony and balance of the 3rd dimension and connects you with a higher consciousness. The pure and clean energy of 432Hz removes mental block and opens a way to a more fulfilling life.
Many ancient instruments are adjusted at 432Hz. It is because the ancients knew that this tone is closely related to the universe around us. Don’t throw away their knowledge. The universal and natural tuning of 432Hz is waiting to be discovered by you.
chibear

Post by chibear »

Ha! Amazing! All the 'theories' and inaccuracies that were debunked in the article I posted above collected in one place. 8) :lol:
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
mick

Post by mick »

Chibear wrote : Ha! Amazing! All the 'theories' and inaccuracies that were debunked in the article I posted above collected in one place. 8) :lol:
Yes absolutely! 8)
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

Wow, after reading all that, my brain hertz :roll:
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

For those who find this stuff interesting, if you wish to explore similar topics of interest- but in a more factual history format, I really enjoyed this book, found its presentation highly approachable and recommend it to anyone with a deep interest in music:

https://www.amazon.com/Temperament-Beca ... emperament

And if you want to explore further into why some still think there's a need for change, you might follow that up with this:

https://www.amazon.com/Equal-Temperamen ... 7QPNT0B8VA
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page