Wot No ASIO Help!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

kr236rk

Wot No ASIO Help!

Post by kr236rk »

Hi,

Suddenly MC7 is refusing ASIO4ALL and only allowing my M-Audio interface to work with WAV or RT. When I select ASIO in Preferences it blanks out the M-Audio in Recording Device and Playback Device drop-downs. Yesterday it was working fine with ASIO, today no dice. Baffled.

Any help appreciated! :)

Thanks.
Ric

M-Audio USB interface, MC8, MC10, Yamahas 102c analogue mixer, Windows 10 QuadCore [upgrade], USB EWI, Alesis Q25 Midi keyboard, stomp boxes, drum pads, guitars, dynamic mic, condenser mic

http://www.reverbnation.com/rickemper
kr236rk

Re: Wot No ASIO Help!

Post by kr236rk »

Update.

Re-downloaded ASIO and it now appears under Preferences with all the required drop-down information but something is wrong, MC7 crashes and the ASIO icon on the task bar flashes from green to red - it doesn't tell me why it is flashing. Soon as I arm a recording the software freezes.

I checked the Hardware Buffer in the ASIO driver window, it allows recording but starts and stops.

Software has gone bananas. :evil:
Ric

M-Audio USB interface, MC8, MC10, Yamahas 102c analogue mixer, Windows 10 QuadCore [upgrade], USB EWI, Alesis Q25 Midi keyboard, stomp boxes, drum pads, guitars, dynamic mic, condenser mic

kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

Should I re-download Mixcraft please?
Ric

Anorax

Post by Anorax »

What is the ASIO driver you are using?
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

ASIO4ALL

Ric, you could certainly try re-installing Mixcraft. It only takes a couple of minutes.
But I wouldn't be surprised if that had no effect.

Hard to say what caused the change. I assume you have restarted your computer since first experiencing this?

I seem to recall having this discussion previously, but if I recall correctly, that interface was last supported in Win Vista and no M-Audio drivers were ever offered after that, right?
Have you ever tried the last driver they updated?
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

Anorax wrote:What is the ASIO driver you are using?

ASIO4ALL v2
Ric

kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

Mark Bliss wrote:ASIO4ALL

Ric, you could certainly try re-installing Mixcraft. It only takes a couple of minutes.
But I wouldn't be surprised if that had no effect.

Hard to say what caused the change. I assume you have restarted your computer since first experiencing this?

I seem to recall having this discussion previously, but if I recall correctly, that interface was last supported in Win Vista and no M-Audio drivers were ever offered after that, right?
Have you ever tried the last driver they updated?
Oh dear, where do I begin?

I hooked up the M-Audio interface with my laptop after the desktop problems described above. But I got the same issues. I re-downloaded ASIO again. Eventually MC7 accepted ASIO with M-Audio settings but crashed whenever you asked it to do anything. I have a copy of MC5 on the laptop so tried that, it recorded perfectly with the ASIO/M-Audio configuration, so it looks like an MC7 problem. I only use this set-up for jotting down ideas in sound, I run a separate MC7 on a desktop, no worries there.

Still baffled. There is nothing on the market 'stand alone' which competes (on a good day) with Mixcraft, most of the audio recorders are the size of a cigarette lighter, i don't always agree that small is beautiful when the control interface can be miniature and fiddly.
Ric

kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

Part of the problem may be that I use and stop using computers, then when I come back to them configurations have changed.
Ric

JonInc

Post by JonInc »

Hi,

ASIO4all is notoriously quirky and intended for sound cards with no ASIO drivers (As in with laptops or interfaces that are no longer supported by your O.S.).

It can cause issues with other installed ASIO drivers. If you have native ASIO drivers for your interface, best to uninstall ASIO4all.

If you insist on using ASIO4all, then uninstall your other ASIO drivers (Fast Track).

You might also need to reinstall ASIO4all.
kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

JonInc wrote:Hi,

ASIO4all is notoriously quirky and intended for sound cards with no ASIO drivers (As in with laptops or interfaces that are no longer supported by your O.S.).

It can cause issues with other installed ASIO drivers. If you have native ASIO drivers for your interface, best to uninstall ASIO4all.

If you insist on using ASIO4all, then uninstall your other ASIO drivers (Fast Track).

You might also need to reinstall ASIO4all.
Omg, this is flying in the face of all the ASIO4ALL advice of several years ago, I just watched a MC video trumpeting the virtues of the ASIO driver for Mixcraft. So how much worse is using the WAV or RT driver then please?
Ric

kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

Mark Bliss wrote:ASIO4ALL

But I wouldn't be surprised if that had no effect
Thanks Mark, where is the download link for MC7 please?
Ric

kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

Sometimes wonder what the point is in loading up on software recording technology if it is redundant within a year, or even sooner as the technology speeds up? I can see a niche opening here for stand-alone analogue recording equipment which needs servicing once in a while, but that's it, like a tube amp.
Ric

Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

kr236rk wrote:Omg, this is flying in the face of all the ASIO4ALL advice of several years ago, I just watched a MC video trumpeting the virtues of the ASIO driver for Mixcraft. So how much worse is using the WAV or RT driver then please?
Hi,

We've always recommended using the ASIO driver that was made specifically for the sound device, not a generic ASIO driver like ASIO4All. That said, if ASIO4All works for you and you don't have a sound device that comes with its own ASIO driver, that's a beautiful thing. If you have problems when you use ASIO4All, you would want to use WaveRT mode. Wave is for Windows XP users and cases where WaveRT isn't working out. If you need lower latency, you could try WaveRT in exclusive mode.

You can download old versions of Mixcraft here: Mixcraft Legacy Support.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

ASIO is something that Steinberg came up with isn't it? For the USB?

Even if it's open-sourced, that doesn't mean it will be compatible with every hardware configuration. My guess is that Steinberg catered to their hardware license affiliates before making it open-sourced. So if it's perfection you seek with ASIO, you'll toss your Mixcraft and opt for Cubase, burn your M-Audio interface and plug in that shiny new UR-22.

The USB (a Bill Gates invention) is also evolving so we have that to look forward to as well. Personally I'll be watching the Apple/Intel thunderbolt desktop interface hardware to capture a bigger chunk of the market with lower prices.

I can see where Steinberg could benefit from open sourcing their code but I believe you're right. In a years time even ASIO could also be squashed in the market place... by open-source entrepreneurs.

Then there's Acoustica... stuck right in the middle of it all. :lol:
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

ASIO does a couple of things for you if you have a sound device that comes with its own ASIO drivers:

1) If you have an audio interface that allows you to record more than two tracks simultaneously, ASIO allows you to access the extra recording inputs.
2) ASIO allows for synchronized audio recording.

If you have an audio interface that allows you to record 4 tracks simultaneously, the only way you'll get the extra two recording inputs is if you use the ASIO driver that comes with your audio interface. WaveRT will only "see" the first two inputs: left and right.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101