Vintage keyboard and USB/MIDI

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

KeySlayer

Vintage keyboard and USB/MIDI

Post by KeySlayer »

Howdy, I am a newbie to Mixcraft and I know a little about Midi. Here is some info on what I have.

------------------------------

Windows 10 64-bit
RAM 16 GB
No sound card installed

Ensoniq SD 1
Kurzweil 2600x

Bose USB 5.1 speakers

Zoom R16 interface

Mixcraft 8 pro

------------------------------

When I hooked up the SD1 via MIDI/USB with this "Amazon Special" cable I had laying around, the notes were sticking while playing, some would fade away and some notes wouldn't shut off. I thought it might be the old SD1, or the USB/MIDI cable, maybe the software settings or probably just me.

I found a little program called Midi-Ox. The In/Out monitors showed that the keys, controllers and mod wheel were all functioning. After learning how to actually read the MidiOx monitoring data, I did notice it was still showing On after releasing the keys etc.

So then I tried the my Kurzweil and everything is working great, no issues.

The kicker is, my brother brought his SD1 over for comparison and it does the same goofy Midi thing as mine. Now I am suspecting it might be the cable lol ... so confusing.

Question: Can the same interface cable work great with one keyboard and not the other?

Question: Would a souncard with 4 audio ins and Midi in/out be preferable?

On a side note ... for years a friend of mine has been telling me to download the free limited version of MC and check it out. Sure am happy I did ... tried the 14 days and then purchased MC8. Very cool DAW!!

Any recommendations would be appreciated thanks.

Cheers,
KeySlayer
AHornsby

Re: Vintage keyboard and USB/MIDI

Post by AHornsby »

KeySlayer wrote: Question: Can the same interface cable work great with one keyboard and not the other?
You have to play the odds. It's possible that a cable can have an intermittent loss of signal, e.g., someone having rolled a bass cabinet over it, but the odds are better that your keyboard input jack is wonky.

You can solve this issue by trying another cable perhaps?
KeySlayer

Post by KeySlayer »

Thank you for the reply. It was the cable and not my SD1 as I was hoping. I bought a M-audio cable. Get what ya pay for I guess.

Cheers,
KeySlayer
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

KeySlayer wrote: I bought a M-audio cable. Get what ya pay for I guess.

Cheers,
KeySlayer
Generally speaking that's true but mostly people are in a rush and spend way more than necessary for bad stuff because they don't want to wait and don't have a better choice. Cheers.