Best Examples of Mixcraft-only Arrangements?

Use this forum to show off any audio delights you've created with Mixcraft!

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Mark Bliss

Re: Best Examples of Mixcraft-only Arrangements?

Post by Mark Bliss »

Cant disagree.

And I cant lie, when I saw the video I had to watch it again, and check that the date wasn't 4/1. :lol:
But that just reinforces my point that you just cant please everyone.

As You surely know, I am a strong proponent of what you can do with the included Studio Drums and the piano roll. I was just showing an example of how you can easily add on to suit personal needs and interests.

And similarly, while EZD doesn't include Latin drums. Or jazz drums. Or funk drums, or electronic drums. Or heavy metal drums, etc etc, you can easily expand the instrument to include most any common style you might choose. Same with their MIDI library if you choose. It isn't cheap, but I wait for sales and grab what I want. And the quality and depth of the sample library is pretty good. And the basic sets it does include are pretty versatile. I don't personally use the EZD MIDI library so much and haven't felt the need to get much more there, its just not how I prefer to use EZD. But some expanded drums sets and samples have pleased me.

The included sets combined with the Classic expansion is like Studio drums on steroids X 2 IMO. I can easily create drum tracks in multiple styles that sound like they were recorded in a really good drum room.

But again, I wasn't recommending ANYBODY else NEEDS them, Studio drums will take you very far.
I just want to be able to produce a wide range of styles, and I started feeling like I was trying to get more sounds out of one guitar, one amp and two pedals. I hit a wall so to speak. I wanted a good brushed set.

And I know what you mean about sticking with what you know. Good ol' reliable MX7 right?
I felt the same about 6. And for me, even when I did upgrade, 7 wasn't a huge leap by any means. Minor details were improved, but I would have been fine with 6.
8 however has some great tools I really am enjoying for mixing. I am very pleased with it. Minor nagging bugs and all.
Still a work in progress.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
mick

Post by mick »

Thanks Mark, point taken and demonstrates everybody has a different use/requirement for a daw. :D
davefk

Post by davefk »

There is a pretty good MX7 instruments only file supplied with MX7 called 'Sword of Fianna'. Check it out. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUA-1g3UX9s
Bart Stewart

Post by Bart Stewart »

Mark, thank you for the suggestions -- those are right in line with my own thoughts on where I can improve.

I did use a couple of drum loops in my "Ambient 2" piece. I spent several hours trying to build my own percussion track, but I never found the magic sauce to make it sound even halfway decent. Either I need a drum controller, or there's some other technique for getting good drum measures out of Mixcraft that I haven't read about or figured out on my own yet.

davefk, much obliged to you for the referral to the "Sword of Fianna" example! That's just the sort of thing I'm looking for. I've already picked up a couple of useful ideas in one listen, and I'll bet there are more good techniques there.

(Sorry for the delay in this response; we've had spotty Internet service for two weeks now due to heavy winds. Back online for a while now, I hope.)
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Hey Bart, are you running MX8 32 or 64 bit?
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Bart Stewart

Post by Bart Stewart »

I'm running the 64-bit version (under Windows 10).

Is there a difference that I should be aware of, such as how much RAM can be used?
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

The point of my question was to find out what your example projects folder might contain.

The "Sword of Fianna" project is in the 32 bit version, but not in the 64 bit version. This is likely due to the fact it could cause playback issues on some systems due to the 32 bit plug ins used and the additional resources required to run the "wrappers" needed to run it in the 64 bit environment.

As I suggested before, some might find it useful to open and explore the project.
If you have a fairly powerful system, and the desire to try it, you could aquire a copy of the project and try running it.

Like right here:
Sword of Fianna.mx7
(254.2 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Bart Stewart

Post by Bart Stewart »

I have studied all three of the pieces provided with the 64-bit Mixcraft Pro 8 release, but this one is, as noted, a little closer to the kind of thing I was looking for.

I've pulled down this copy of "Sword of Fianna" and will give it a try. (My PC is fairly burly.)

Thank you!
SirLanceALot

Post by SirLanceALot »

Sir Sparky,
You said in your second comment here that you "were in no way good at it." Well I disagree my man. I totally enjoyed listening to your Mixcraft project.
It doesn't matter what genre you play, good is good. Keep doing it!
Lance
Mixcraft user since Ver 1or2 (when it still fit on a floppy or 2)
Rosswilliam3

Post by Rosswilliam3 »

Midnight Brewers use mixcraft to record all their albums!

They're on YouTube, Spotify and all that
SirLanceALot

Post by SirLanceALot »

There’s no limit Bart. The limit is the user.
Lance
Mixcraft user since Ver 1or2 (when it still fit on a floppy or 2)
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Ya'll are replying to a thread that ended 2 years ago.....
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Steve Jobe

Post by Steve Jobe »

You can do anything you can think with MixCraft, I have yet to out think it and I'm a hard customer...Sounds good Sparky I really liked your tracks and your version of Ghost Riders it Honks !!..........Keep up the good work..I'm using 9 pro and started with 8 pro. Steve Jobe