Recording vocals in Mixcraft 8

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

alisonmusic62

Recording vocals in Mixcraft 8

Post by alisonmusic62 »

Good day my mixcraft friends. Hope someone can help with a frustrating problem I can't seem to solve.
I have a Steinberg UR 22 MK11 audio interface, with audio technica 2020 mic. When I record my vocals the sound when I play it back is so low I can barley hear it. I have to have the levels so high, like maxed out when recording.
When I record drum tracks or keyboard parts with my keyboard controller I do not have this issue.
I'm sure this is not normal, very frustrating.
Thanks for all your help.
Alison
Anorax

Re: Recording vocals in Mixcraft 8

Post by Anorax »

I'm going to make the first check, and see if you're using phantom power when recording with your AT 2020. If not, enable phantom power and see if that helps.

Whenever you're using a condenser microphone, it is imperative to have phantom power enabled, as the microphone requires some power to operate (due to how a condenser capsule functions).
alisonmusic62

Post by alisonmusic62 »

Yes phantom power is on.
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

How high is the recorded vocal level (looking at the meters in the mixer view) when playing back the recorded audio?

If you're recording the piano and drums as MIDI in an Instrument track, then those tracks will probably be louder than most recorded audio. This is sort of getting into mixing theory, but you really want to shoot for a consistent RMS around -8dBFS to -12dBFS when recording (to avoid clipping), but this can vary.
alisonmusic62

Post by alisonmusic62 »

The levels only show one third. I'm aware of recording -8dBFS to -12dBFS . When recorded at these levels the volume is almost non existent. To get any volume I have to push the levels way beyond that level. At that point it sounds muddy and distorted.
alisonmusic62

Post by alisonmusic62 »

I do record my midi instruments at a lower level in hopes of bringing out more volume in the vocals.
I do have some experience in analog mixing boards, even though limited. So I understand what you are describing.
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

I do apologize for stepping on your toes in regards to assuming how much you know or don't know regarding recording; it's a "customer service" kind of habit that I need to shake.

I want to say that your problem might be a problem with your gain levels. As long as you don't ever clip when recording, you might be fine, but I can't really think of what would be the best way to fix this level issue at this time.
geobee

Post by geobee »

Hi, not sure if your interface can select between mic and line inputs, but it could be a gain issue there if you have it set to line level, just a thought.
alisonmusic62

Post by alisonmusic62 »

You didn't step on my toes at all Anorax. On my interface I have to have the gain up to 4 o clock position or 3 quarters of the way up at least. My interface does have dedicated inputs for mics.
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

Hmm, the UR22 mkII is interesting to me, because I don't see any Mic/Line switch on either the front or rear panel. Does the interface just somehow know which you're using? Still, you have phantom power on, so while it could still be a gain issue, I'm still not 100 sure on what's causing your issue.
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

Hello.

Is the mic cable XLR on both ends?
Attachments
xlr_male_female_b_1_1_1_1_1_1_6.jpg
xlr_male_female_b_1_1_1_1_1_1_6.jpg (25.48 KiB) Viewed 9694 times
Gedcoz

Post by Gedcoz »

Hi Alison, I imagine you already tried this but if not thought I would suggest this if you haven't. Did you try a different Mic cable. I've had one of the pins break off in the past and it still worked but I was getting a very low volume response. I connected a new cable and that did the trick.
alisonmusic62

Post by alisonmusic62 »

I have tried different XLR cables, same result. One other thing I have noticed is that when I playback my vocals they come out only one side, like the left channel, never right and left at the same time, is that normal?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

alisonmusic62 wrote:I have tried different XLR cables, same result. One other thing I have noticed is that when I playback my vocals they come out only one side, like the left channel, never right and left at the same time, is that normal?
Hi,

To fix that problem, arm the track on the side that has the sound. Click on the little arrow next to the Arm button and select Left (don't select Stereo).

Why? Because most microphones (and instruments) provide a mono signal. Arming on the Left will give you a centered mono recording that you can use in your stereo mix.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
alisonmusic62

Post by alisonmusic62 »

Thanks Acoustica Greg. That was very helpful.