File Icons missing

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

ron-e-g

File Icons missing

Post by ron-e-g »

What does it mean when the file icons change in the folder (no longer MC related, But generic icon) Some are only icons when I attempt to open them!where MC projects are stored? Not all but a lot of my projects seem affected. Also, I see individual sound clip files in the main Project folder now where as I didn't before when I open the folder manually outside of MC.

MCpro8, Win 7 64 bit
Ron
"The Older I Get The Better I Was!"
Acoustica Greg

Re: File Icons missing

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

It's normal to see the audio files in your project folder when you browse it with File Explorer. They would have always been there (post Mixcraft 5).

Icons for what? The project files themselves?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
ron-e-g

Post by ron-e-g »

The project's themselves.
In this window No audio files. Icons not uniform.
In this window No audio files. Icons not uniform.
MC8 Files.JPG (89.13 KiB) Viewed 5991 times
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

ron-e-g wrote:The project's themselves.
MC8 Files.JPG
Does double-clicking a file with a generic icon still open Mixcraft?
ron-e-g

Post by ron-e-g »

what is this.JPG
what is this.JPG (25.14 KiB) Viewed 5968 times
Attachments
what is this2.JPG
what is this2.JPG (75.86 KiB) Viewed 5968 times
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You probably just need to reset set the Windows file association for Mixcraft projects. Check this out: Change which programs Windows 7 uses by default.

Greg
ron-e-g

Post by ron-e-g »

Hi Greg,

Why would there be projects with names, and the icon (shown in first Pic.) in my projects folder? They don't seem to open any project. Also when I associate the MX5. MX6, and MX7 files to MX8 they all assume the MX8 file icon but not these. The templates I see why they would be different. There are others like them, but they actually have projects with back-ups associated with them... they work.

Off the subject here..but bugging me just the same! :lol: why don't I receive email notifications from this site? I am subscribed to this post.
PositiveGr8ness

Post by PositiveGr8ness »

For your off-topic question:

In User CP and Edit Notifications make sure "Someone replies to a topic to which you are subscribed " is checked for email. I could be wrong and there's just something else going on.
ron-e-g

Post by ron-e-g »

Thanks PositiveGr8ness.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

ron-e-g wrote:Hi Greg,

Why would there be projects with names, and the icon (shown in first Pic.) in my projects folder? They don't seem to open any project. Also when I associate the MX5. MX6, and MX7 files to MX8 they all assume the MX8 file icon but not these. The templates I see why they would be different. There are others like them, but they actually have projects with back-ups associated with them... they work.

Off the subject here..but bugging me just the same! :lol: why don't I receive email notifications from this site? I am subscribed to this post.
Hi,

You have file extensions turned off. Try turning them on for more clues: How to show or hide file name extensions in Windows Explorer.

In regard to the other topic, check your spam folder to see if the notification emails are there.

Greg
ron-e-g

Post by ron-e-g »

Acoustica Greg wrote:
ron-e-g wrote:Hi Greg,

Hi,

You have file extensions turned off. Try turning them on for more clues: How to show or hide file name extensions in Windows Explorer.

Greg
Which problem does that relate to? Is there any way to organize this Mixcraft Project folder? I mean I've got Project files mixed in with hundreds of audio Files. It's very hard to pick out the various projects in all that! Can the project files be organized together some way? BTW...no no notifications in spam. And I did not receive one for your last reply.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

That relates to your question about the files that don't open as projects. The file extensions would show what kind of files they are. But let's back up, when you say they don't open as projects, what do they do instead?

In answer to your new question: load the projects you want to keep into Mixcraft one by one, then select "Copy Project Files to..." Put each project into a unique folder. This will copy all the files you need for the project and nothing else. Once you've got the projects opening properly in their new folders, you can archive or delete the old, messy folders.

As to how the other files got in there, maybe you were using "Save As" and you saved them in the wrong folder?

Greg
ron-e-g

Post by ron-e-g »

Acoustica Greg wrote: As to how the other files got in there, maybe you were using "Save As" and you saved them in the wrong folder?

Greg
I usually use the default save for when I hit close it brings up the save window. However there are times actually..usually it wants me to re-name a already named Project. It then saves it as another Project with the same name only the MC8 ext. added! ? I even get the save to "guitar Rig" in the location some times. I thought I had this all figured out years ago. But seems every time I upgrade to a new version of MC It starts all over. I know it's me... something I'm not getting. I started in MC3 or 4 so I should have this down by now! Sheese!! :mrgreen:

Some of the folders with the strange Folder icon only have the image of the icon its self! So as I come across them I delete them. Why they would be there/like that I haven't a clue. It's not something I'm familiar with. Only lately. Others open with another Project file/ with the associated back-ups. Other files have a project folder that when opened contains 5 or more other projects hidden behind!
Attachments
Folder Icon.JPG
Folder Icon.JPG (77.17 KiB) Viewed 5905 times
Last edited by ron-e-g on Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ron-e-g

Post by ron-e-g »

Is this not correct?
Attachments
Preferences.JPG
Preferences.JPG (73.33 KiB) Viewed 5919 times
ron-e-g

Post by ron-e-g »

Acoustica Greg wrote:

As to how the other files got in there, maybe you were using "Save As" and you saved them in the wrong folder?

Greg
I know how they got there. I don't know why they are branded w/ different Icon.

How does MC files get so scrambled? I mean I just opened a Project, and the vocals in the fourth verse are actually a guitar track from another Song! This has not been an uncommon occurrence. I'm not "knocking" MC I love it. However I have another DAW I also use. I have never lost files this way.
I don't have any idea where, or how to find these missing files.
Another problem is when a effect fails to load..as Pic. 2 how am I to know which one, and where? so as to try and restore the project as it was. That same question applies to outdated VST's such as SampleTank 2. If it was the original sound being used and now has been replaced by SampleTank3..what was the original sound? Pic. 1 an input device which one? no way to tell? Pic. 3 shows a typical save window..notice the project name, it's already a MC8 file, also notice where MC wants to save it, and notice the name in the box. Greg I didn't save it there, but can you see how very easy it would be to get a mess of a Project file?
Attachments
which input device.JPG
which input device.JPG (327.21 KiB) Viewed 5862 times
What effects.JPG
What effects.JPG (200.71 KiB) Viewed 5864 times
Unclear.JPG
Unclear.JPG (285.2 KiB) Viewed 5864 times