Anyone using Superior Drummer with Mixcraft 8?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Alleyoop

Anyone using Superior Drummer with Mixcraft 8?

Post by Alleyoop »

I have a Roland TD30 and I've made multitrack rehearsal recordings via a Behringer X32 Producer onto Adobe Audition, but Superior Drummer is incompatible with Audition, so I'm thinking that I should be able to use Mixcraft 8 for recording and for Superior Drummer.
I'm not ready to do it right away, but I hoped somebody might be able to give me some tips on how I might go about it so that I can get it straight in my head and know what I'm heading for.
Thanks.
Rolling Estonian

Re: Anyone using Superior Drummer with Mixcraft 8?

Post by Rolling Estonian »

I have EZD2 and it works great in MC. I'm sure the kit will just be simple routing assignments. I'm not going to guess how well MC8 will play with the Behringer, there may have to be some work to get that to work with assigning channels to drums and such. But if it's just having to program the mixer manually it isn't that difficult.

M
CRAZY6STRINGS

Post by CRAZY6STRINGS »

I've been using Superior Drummer for about 5 months now...fantastic drum module. I have had absolutely no issues with it inside MX8....
Alleyoop

Post by Alleyoop »

Excellent, thanks for the feedback and encouraging comments guys.
One thing I'm trying to get straight in my head is where SD fits into the chain if I'm using the X32's sound card for capture. The card is set for 16 channels and I'm using 8 for drums and 4 for Guitar, Bass and Vocals. At the moment Audition records directly off the card. I expect Mixcraft will work the same, but does SD insert as another mixer between the card and Mixcraft, (just the 8 drum channels), and Mixcraft gets 8 signals from the SD mixer and 4 signals direct from the card?
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I have no experience and little knowledge of the Roland, Behringer or Adobe products you describe- so take that into consideration as I write some babble.
But lets back up to the original post here.......

First of all, I don't now what you mean that Adobe and SD are incompatible. No knowledge of the Adobe product whatsoever.
Next, Can we assume you are using the Roland module to send channels of AUDIO signal to the Behringer mixer?
Then AUDIO channels converted to digital on to your computer and into the software, using the Behringer mixer as an interface, correct?

Your DAW and other software on the computer can only use what the computer receives, and using SD as a drum module within the computer, whether stand alone or running within a DAW host like Mixcraft, you will need to send DATA from the electronic drums to the computer, not AUDIO. So the first part of the question is how to send DATA out from the Roland rig.
Next we have to look at the Behringer mixer being previously used as an audio interface if my assumptions are correct. Does it support MIDI DATA? I doubt it, but I could be wrong.

To summarize, Mixcraft and software like SD should be compatible with whatever you can route to your computer. The type of signal and how to route it to the computer is the solution to what you intend to do.
IE: MIDI output from the drums and MIDI interface with the computer. Then finally, MIDI software routing configuration to make everything function as desired.

I think........ 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

Mark Bliss wrote:
First of all, I don't now what you mean that Adobe and SD are incompatible. No knowledge of the Adobe product whatsoever.
Next, Can we assume you are using the Roland module to send channels of AUDIO signal to the Behringer mixer?
Then AUDIO channels converted to digital on to your computer and into the software, using the Behringer mixer as an interface, correct?

)
Hey Mark, just to inject what little I know as I'm not exactly sure what the OP is trying to do, the Roland TD 30 sends audio and midi over usb. I believe you have to have a driver for the audio portion installed on your computer too. So he should just be able to hook up a usb cable and drive Superior Drummer thru midi in Mixcraft. Not sure about the Adobe software either. Just my two cents worth, well, maybe one cent. :lol:
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I thought that might be the case.
So then, if I am understanding the intent correctly, one would probably bypass the Behringer mixer and send the MIDI data directly to the computer, and set up the DAW host, SD plug-in and internal/software routing to suit.

That is, unless the Behringer mixer supports MIDI throughput. And multi-channel output.

Right? :?:
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

Mark Bliss wrote:
Right? :?:

Hey, I'm always right, my ' MIND ' told me so. :lol:

That is the way I would go(midi or audio), less connections and hardware plus you keep everything in the digital domain.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Sounds about right. 8)

Except for the always right part. I have a wonderful wife. Sometimes she gets to be right. :wink:

Back to you Alleyoop. What's the question again?
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Alleyoop

Post by Alleyoop »

Thank you for the analysis and explanations Mark. Yes, you have clarified that I have been in the wrong street - I've been in Audio Street and I need to be in Data Street. Don't know why I have ignored MIDI all this time, but I can see that if I'm to use SD effectively I need to study up 'All you ever needed to know about MIDI', or 'The beginner's/(idiot's) guide to MIDI'.
Yes Mule, you're right, the TD30 has a USB output.
The X32 is a digital mixer and it has a midi in and a midi out socket also, but I have found the X32 a fairly steep learning curve compared to an analogue mixer, (well worth it though, amazing capabilities), and so I haven't got to the midi functionality yet. That may need to change.
Not sure where the Audition/SD incompatibility idea came from. Usually when I mention that I use Audition the reaction is derision. It's not one of the more popular DAW's and it's a bit outdated, but I've done some great work with it and I think it's underrated. Mixcraft seems great so far too of course.
Thank you again, I appreciate the help.
Edit: The TD30 has a midi out/thru socket and a midi in socket, so I appear to have options. I'll be looking to pursue whichever option has the least latency.
Alleyoop

Post by Alleyoop »

Ive done a bit of follow up on MIDI, looks exciting, extremely editable.
I now want to use SD within Mixcraft. I've been into Preferences and pointed Mixcraft to my SD folders, but how do I get the SD UI to show from Change Instrument?
This is what I see and what I'd like to see.
Attachments
SD UI.JPG
SD UI.JPG (160.71 KiB) Viewed 8899 times
Mixcraft SD.JPG
Mixcraft SD.JPG (123.49 KiB) Viewed 8899 times
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Huh? My head hurts for some reason. :wink:

You mean how to open the instruments GUI as a plug in?
edit.png
edit.png (45.63 KiB) Viewed 8897 times
Configuration and routing, the great unknown. Go forth and conquer. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Alleyoop

Post by Alleyoop »

Ah, thank you.
Apologies for the headache.