Anyone else using VST3's?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Starship Krupa

Anyone else using VST3's?

Post by Starship Krupa »

I tried them for a while but gave up because they kept crashing, both 32-bit and 64-bit Mixcraft.

Supposedly they have the possibility for "better performance," but it may be one of those things where the plug-in and the host both have to support that for it to happen and nobody does yet or something.

I didn't notice any difference with the few I tried.
-Erik
Acoustica Greg

Re: Anyone else using VST3's?

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Some VST3 plugins are definitely buggy. You'll notice when you install some plugins, the VST3 option is de-selected, because the plugin maker doesn't want VST3 to be the default for most people.

That said, there should be others, like Auto-Tune, that are stable. If there's any problem on the Mixcraft end, we'd like to fix it. If the problem is with the plugin, then using the VST2 version is the way to go until the maker fixes the problem.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Hi Erik,

In 64 bit I have been using more and more VST3 versions as my first option when given a choice. (And I have recently acquired more such options.) :wink:
While I haven't logged a great deal of time using them yet (Other responsibilities and preoccupations always take higher priority this time of year.) I can say that as of yet, I have not experienced even a single crash or issue like what you describe, though I will be keeping an eye out for that.

What I have experienced in some VST3 use is a problem where settings don't get retained in saved projects, which can be very frustrating, especially in a complex project.
Still working that out and trying to determine if the issue is with the plug in itself or the host. In at least one case, I have contacted both the plug-in producer and notified the Mixcraft team, and I am told they are working on sorting it out.

Oh and yes, so far any obvious signs of superiority seem to be elusive.

Mark 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

Are these VST3's that are actually being purchased? A person would think that the maker would want to be all things to all people. That is, if they intended to sell them.
-------------------
After a little more research I can see that this is a Steinberg platform and I'll bet they work flawlessly... with Cubase.

Wow. The marketplace is becoming doggedly splintered.
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

AHornsby wrote:Are these VST3's that are actually being purchased? A person would think that the maker would want to be all things to all people. That is, if they intended to sell them.
-------------------
After a little more research I can see that this is a Steinberg platform and I'll bet they work flawlessly... with Cubase.
They are making an effort to address some of the inefficiencies and shortcomings of the 2.X standard, like the ability to share instances of a plug for more efficient resource usage, turn it off when it's not processing audio, etc., but of course they have to be coded to use those features and not just be the 2.X plug in a VST3 package.

My early efforts to troubleshoot the issues with them were hampered by an issue where an errant plug-in would take out an entire chain of otherwise innocent plug-ins, starting with the first one, leading me to believe that it was the first one that was the problem, and I retired a few well-coded plug-ins before that was addressed.

By that time I was kind of done with VST3's and since they didn't appear to offer any benefits, I figured why bother. I'm just checking in to see if anyone's seeing anything with them that might warrant another try.
-Erik
CRAZY6STRINGS

Post by CRAZY6STRINGS »

I am running 64 bit and find that VST2's are giving me a hassle and crashing. I am using MX8 Pro and since most of these plugins are freebees, I don't worry about them. Some of them do include VST's that come with MX.

I'm using a number of VST3 Izotope products and find them incredibly stable. I also like their products as the purchasing and authorizting seems to be pretty straight forward...or close to it. I'm also using EZD2 and Superior Drummed and have never had any issues with them.
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Waves Plugins only seem to work in vst3 in Mixcraft these days
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Hi Ian

What problems have you been experiencing?
I have noted no problems with Waves VST2 plug ins, but like I replied earlier, have been trending toward vst3 lately so maybe I missed something. Several loaded and functioning in a quick test just now though...... 64 bit Mixcraft.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Hi Mark,
Mostly they don't display anything but a black screen where the plugin window should be, but they work fine in vst3. I thought this must be a common problem since I recall people mentioning that they didn't work (I think on a Mixcraft Facebook page and that Waves just said that they didn't support Mixcraft, when people looked for support). Also my mate (that I first knew from that page) said he couldn't get them to work at all when I mentioned that I'd bought the GTR plugin thing recently). So I just disabled all the vst2s from them, since I don't need them and I've got too many plugins, so it reduces the list that I have to scroll down through, when looking for things to load.
Windows 10 Professional
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I've used Waves VST2 plug-ins since at least Mixcraft 6. One individual plug-in aside, no issues whatsoever.

But yeah, not much support on getting them working in a non-supported DAW.

My only real beef with Waves, and I suspect the root of most users problems- is the download, installation and activation. The Waves Central application is confusing and installation process murky and the use of shell programs and complicated file naming makes it very difficult for the average user to navigate.

I have, and continue to complain to them about this, and they continue to act like its no big deal and should work as designed. It doesn't.......
The installer is bad.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

They are a behemoth whose vastly over-priced plugins are used on large concert hall desks by the likes of Devon Townsend, so don't expect much from them. Nor should they complain about anyone using cracked versions of their software. They don't need people's cash and mostly people can do without most of their software. Rant over, sorry :lol:
Windows 10 Professional