VST Instrument/MIDI problem

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

SavageBoy69

VST Instrument/MIDI problem

Post by SavageBoy69 »

I made an account just now so I could talk about this.

On Mixcraft (specifically Mixcraft 7) like to import MIDI files and change the instruments around. Recently, I got a Sega Genesis sound chip emulation plugin called Genny, and it works fine in Musical Typing and recording. I've always wanted to see what my favorite songs would sound like on a Genesis.

I imported the Super Mario Bros. theme and changed one of the instrument tracks to Genny, and when I did, it indeed somehow worked. However, when I change the second track, or the other two, there's no sound at all. I'll give you a brief little video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8lQy2dcjOk

Any reason why this is happening? I would gladly appreciate any help. Thanks! :D
Last edited by SavageBoy69 on Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
geobee

Re: VST Instrument/MIDI problem (please read!)

Post by geobee »

Hi, I may as well be the one to ask you to be a little more gentle when asking for help. No need to tell us to read your post, they all get read and assistance given where possible, but is this a Mixcraft question I must ask, as there is no mention of it in your post? Excuse me if I'm mistaken, but your question appears to be a little left field of the normal Mixcraft topics. Are you a Mixcraft user?
SavageBoy69

Re: VST Instrument/MIDI problem (please read!)

Post by SavageBoy69 »

geobee wrote:Hi, I may as well be the one to ask you to be a little more gentle when asking for help. No need to tell us to read your post, they all get read and assistance given where possible, but is this a Mixcraft question I must ask, as there is no mention of it in your post? Excuse me if I'm mistaken, but your question appears to be a little left field of the normal Mixcraft topics. Are you a Mixcraft user?
I've been using Mixcraft since 2011. Sorry if I wasn't exactly clear on what I was talking about. I made an account just so I could ask this, so there was some ignorance when I made this thread. I apologize. I removed the please read part from the title.
GovernmentMule

Re: VST Instrument/MIDI problem

Post by GovernmentMule »

It's hard to tell from your video, it ends quickly. Did you select the same VSTi and the same bass sound for the second and third track? Maybe that VSTi only will let you use one sound at a time and for one track. Try to select a different instrument and see what happens. You might have to use different midi channels for each track also.
Strativarious

Post by Strativarious »

Hi, the only way to get sound out of it was to change the midi channel on genny to 11!.

EDIT: OK this is strange. Based on video i got the correct midi file. Got all tracks to work by changing individual midi channel on vsti gui (track 1 -> midi 1 etc). The last track though, the percussion, had to use midi channel 10.
Last edited by Strativarious on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You can submit an Acoustica Support Request and attach the project file and we'll check it out.

It may have something to do with velocity or CC messages embedded in the clips. Or, if you changed to a drum VSTi, then notes may be missing the virtual drum set completely.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Not familiar with this plug in, but the problem described sounds like something that might be a trial/demo version limitation to me.

Does this plug in have a GUI? Any controls? Any settings menu of any kind?

I am assuming by the description this is an 8 bit emulator or something..... These seem to be popular with gamers and such and I have seen other plug ins that do that. Perhaps try another. Most are likely freebies.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
SavageBoy69

Post by SavageBoy69 »

GovernmentMule wrote:It's hard to tell from your video, it ends quickly. Did you select the same VSTi and the same bass sound for the second and third track? Maybe that VSTi only will let you use one sound at a time and for one track. Try to select a different instrument and see what happens. You might have to use different midi channels for each track also.
Yes I did. I think I fixed it from what Strativarious said. I changed all the MIDI channels to 1 (although I will try 10 for percussion). Also, apologies for my quick video.
Last edited by SavageBoy69 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SavageBoy69

Post by SavageBoy69 »

Mark Bliss wrote:Not familiar with this plug in, but the problem described sounds like something that might be a trial/demo version limitation to me.

Does this plug in have a GUI? Any controls? Any settings menu of any kind?

I am assuming by the description this is an 8 bit emulator or something..... These seem to be popular with gamers and such and I have seen other plug ins that do that. Perhaps try another. Most are likely freebies.
It's actually a 16-bit emulator called Genny that's meant to emulate the Genesis. It indeed does have an interface where you can load .TFI instruments into it. The guy on the website said it was free. I do also have an 8-bit emulator (NES VST) that loads up pre-made MIDIs fine.