Considering switching to Mixcraft 8; seeking user opinions on the following

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

lingyai

Considering switching to Mixcraft 8; seeking user opinions on the following

Post by lingyai »

Hi all,

I know I can try the demo myself; I likely will. Still, I am interested in users' opinions on these items, which matter most to me,

--How stable and predictable is it? I ask as my current DAW, Sonar Platinum -- while it has a great theoretical feature list -- fails miserably on this score; it is in fact why I am considering jumping ship to another DAW.

-- Does it work well with Kontakt?

-- Does it work well with Waves plugins?

-- Are the FX parameter envelope automation and signal routing (use of send busses etc) functionality up to scratch?

-- I have Melodyne Editor 3, which is more powerful than the bundled Melodyne Essential. Do you know if that integrates with Mixcraft 8?

-- Is there anything important (e.g. any "caveats, "gotchas" etc ) I should be aware of?

By the way, I'm aware of but frankly uninterested in the bundled FX and instruments; while I'm sure they're good, I already have all the 3rd party VSTs for that I'll ever need.

In case it matters, I'm using a Windows 7 Professional 64 bit PC with an i7 2.7 ghz CPU, 16 GB of RAM and a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 USB interface.

Grateful for any candid guidance!
chibear

Re: Considering switching to Mixcraft 8; seeking user opinions on the following

Post by chibear »

I can answer to a point.

I find Mixcraft very stable. I also work in one of the high-end DAWs and Mixcraft is as if not more stable. PLUS ( and a big one) if any issues do crop up the Acoustica team usually has a fix in a matter of days, rather than weeks or months elsewhere..

About 80% of my work is done with 3rd party Kontakt instruments. I use 5.4 as anything beyond that seems to be not quite ready for prime time according to feedback from different forums. 5.4 is as stable as Kontakt gets in any DAW; that being said on rare occasions It does crash, usually because of user error but at those times takes Mixcraft with it. Up until 5.2 the plugin would crash inside Mixcraft but leave the DAW intact.

I don't use many Waves plugins but those I do work just fine.

The signal routing question is hard to answer depending on what you want. A lot of the routing is done automatically wheras I have to do ALL the routing in my premium DAW . I use sends to apply all my early reflections. They are almost identical to the pricey DAW (And easier to implement).

The two weaknesses IMO are the inability to draw lines and curves in CC# automation and curves in host automation. The second is the notation module is primitive. Printing any kind of score is pretty much impossible, but some folks have luck with single parts.

BTW if you do lots of Kontakt tracks, 16 GB is a bit thin RAM-wise.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
lingyai

Post by lingyai »

Many thanks, Chilbear.

I use Kontakt 5.5.2 and it's fine here. I don't want to "progress" to any of the versions where the virtual keyboard keys are no longer shaded though.

16 GB works for my stuff. I usually only use 1-4 libraries at a time, purging as I go; and in a pinch, I'll render tracks to audio as a stopgap.

You mention an "inability to draw lines and curves in CC#automation." Since lines and curves are the only things possible to draw anywhere, do I understand correctly that you cannot draw *any* CC# automation? If so, that gives me major pause. I can live without curves -- I can just draw lines with numerous segments if I'm doing something non-linear -- but no CC# automation could be a deal-killer.

As for routing -- I don't do anything super elaborate. For example, I might route several vocals to an aux buss; and then route the aux buss to, say, a verb buss; and then route both busses to the master buss. I do need pre- vs post optionality though.

Reading the "what's new" stuff about MC8 leads me to believe that MC7 would not give you envelope automation control over any / all automatable VST parameters. Is that true? The reason I ask about MC7 is that, since posting here, I've read some stuff on the MC page on Facebook, where some folks say they've had no problems with MC7, but stability problems with MC8. (And of course others say they have no problems with MC8; finger-pointing ensues, and my eyes glaze over). I notice that Acoustica will let you have a MC7 license code upon request when buying MC8. I'm assuming the MC7 license is free in that case; I need to confirm this. If it's so, then I might buy MC8 and have MC7 as a fall back. Although that would raise the question of whether MC7 supports the kind of automation I need; proper automation is a must for me.

Anyway, thanks again!
chibear

Post by chibear »

lingyai wrote:You mention an "inability to draw lines and curves in CC#automation." Since lines and curves are the only things possible to draw anywhere, do I understand correctly that you cannot draw *any* CC# automation? If so, that gives me major pause. I can live without curves -- I can just draw lines with numerous segments if I'm doing something non-linear -- but no CC# automation could be a deal-killer.

There is CC# automation, but only bars, so your line or curve will be made by adjusting multiple bars, depending on your snap resolution. However there is more than one way to skin a cat and, working in Kontakt (and most other VSTi for that matter), I have found that virtually any function of a VSTi assigned a CC# usually also has a related knob or slider that can be assigned to host automation, thus for parameters needing curves (CC#7, CC#11 for instance or vibrato parameters in string libraries), the 'curves' (multiple lines between nodes in this case) can be applied via host automation, with CC#s relegated to on/off functions (like CC#64). The work flow once adopted is just as fast with the only downside being none of the parameters assigned to host automation are saved as MIDI data, making collaberation with people using other DAWs via exchanging MIDI files difficult.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
lingyai

Post by lingyai »

Thanks for that Chilbear. What about the sort of routing setup I described? Also, can audio busses be automated just as audio tracks can?
chibear

Post by chibear »

I usually put my early reflections on a send, each with the ERs panned to the section of the stage I want those instruments then put the hall ambience on another send.
This goes for Mixcraft and the DAW I route manually.

To do as you describe in Mixcraft you would put your vocal tracks in a submix track (for level etc) and then nest that submix in another submix containing your reverb. This is a totally different mindset than manual routing, but much faster setup IMO.

It may be time you try the free demo and post any questions you have from actually working with the software. There are a ton of videos Acoustica has published and I have some Kontakt-specific videos on my YouTube channel to get you started.
Soundcloud YouTube
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Going back to the original post, I would take pause to wonder about your problems with Sonar-

I know a number of very capable people who prefer Sonar and communicate with others who use Sonar and have not heard any such complaints about instability. Which leads me to suspect the problems you have experienced may not be with the DAW. Therefore you may find you have problems with trying another DAW.
You might be best served by trying the trial version Mixcraft yourself. (Which by the way is a fully functional standard version.)

I cant speak to the Kontakt question, as I haven't used Kontakt in some time and never was what I would call a "power user" to say the least. I explored it. Its not my thing and I found it a frustrating time suck. I would defer to Chibear here, as he has far more experience with that.

I would describe the current Mixcraft 8 automation and routing capabilities as "sufficient for most users", while not as advanced as some DAW's that "specialize" in this sort of flexibility. Not sure what you mean specifically about automating audio bus's vs audio tracks, and I am not clear on your routing description.
In Mixcraft, you have submixes, (and submixes within submixes). Aux bus's, send bus's (With the option of post fader, prefader and dry sends).
I don't think there is an option to route aux bus's to anything besides external or back to the main bus.
Sends return to the main bus.
Again, some time exploring the trial version would better answer as to applicability to your individual needs.

Melodyne essentials is integrated into the Mixcraft Pro Studio version. The question of whether you can purchase that version and integrate your Melodyne Editor version would be best answered by Acoustica staff. I have been told that if you own Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio and upgrade to Melodyne versions above Essentials, it would integrate. I would suspect it would require at minimum an upgrade from your Melodyne 3 to version 4. Don't know for certain.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If you have an updated version of Melodyne, it will integrate into Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio.

In regard to the stability of Mixcraft 8, if you look at older posts, you'll see people who don't think Mixcraft 7 is stable and want to stay with Mixcraft 6, preceded by people who don't think Mixcraft 6 is stable and want to stay with Mixcraft 5, and so on back through the various versions to MP3 Audio Mixer. Remember that only those who are having problems tend to post on these forums - the people not having problems are off working on projects.

Mixcraft does offer pre and post volume routing.

You can automate Send tracks, Output Bus tracks, and the Master track.

You really should just download Mixcraft 8 and try it.

We've got a bunch of tutorial videos here: Mixcraft University Video Tutorials

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
lingyai

Post by lingyai »

Thanks Greg.

I have Melodyne 3 and can't really afford (nor do I need) Melodyne 4.

Will Melodyne 3 (editor) intregrate with Mixcraft?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Not sure about an older version of Melodyne. You could choose not to install Melodyne Essentials 4 during the Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio installation and use Melodyne 3 as an effect, at the least.

Greg
lingyai

Post by lingyai »

Mark Bliss wrote:Going back to the original post, I would take pause to wonder about your problems with Sonar-

I know a number of very capable people who prefer Sonar Platinum and communicate with others who use Sonar and have not heard any such complaints about instability. Which leads me to suspect the problems you have experienced may not be with the DAW.
Which leads me to suspect you've not read many if any posts about Sonar on the Cakewalk, KVR or Gearslutz forums. If the topic interests you, spend an hour or two there, get a new perspective.

I'll just say that I have a good-spec PC custom built for music production from a well-regarded vendor, and that it has allowed me to complete projects with purchased or trial versions of Audition, Acid Pro, Studio One, Mulab, Harrison Mixbus, Metro, Live, and Sonar X3 (the last Sonar incarnation prior to Platinum) with nowhere near the grief I've experienced with Sonar Platinum. Those who've not had problems, I am happy for. I'm just not one of them. I have no energy / inclination to detail my sagas with that DAW. I'm hear to ask about Mixcraft.
lingyai

Post by lingyai »

Acoustica Greg wrote: In regard to the stability of Mixcraft 8, if you look at older posts, you'll see people who don't think Mixcraft 7 is stable and want to stay with Mixcraft 6, preceded by people who don't think Mixcraft 6 is stable and want to stay with Mixcraft 5, and so on back through the various versions to MP3 Audio Mixer. Remember that only those who are having problems tend to post on these forums - the people not having problems are off working on projects.

With respect, Greg, that sounds a bit like a self-contained belief system / bug lamp designed to zap any criticisms of what might actually be bona-fide complaints of instaibility.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

lingyai wrote:With respect, Greg, that sounds a bit like a self-contained belief system / bug lamp designed to zap any criticisms of what might actually be bona-fide complaints of instaibility.
Hi,

Maybe so, but there's one way for you to find out. Give Mixcraft 8 a spin!

Greg
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Aren't from around here are you?

People offered help and suggestions, use it as you wish.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

lingyai wrote:I'll just say that I have a good-spec PC custom built for music production from a well-regarded vendor, and that it has allowed me to complete projects with purchased or trial versions of Audition, Acid Pro, Studio One, Mulab, Harrison Mixbus, Metro, Live, and Sonar X3 ... I'm hear to ask about Mixcraft.
Is there some reason why you won't install the trial and find out for yourself?