Considering switching to Mixcraft 8; seeking user opinions on the following

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

lingyai

Re: Considering switching to Mixcraft 8; seeking user opinions on the following

Post by lingyai »

Mark Bliss wrote:Aren't from around here are you?
No. And?
Mark Bliss wrote: People offered help and suggestions, use it as you wish.
I am. That includes keeping the conversation on track.
lingyai

Post by lingyai »

SteveW wrote: Is there some reason why you won't install the trial and find out for yourself?
Well, firstly, please read the first line of my OP. It's the workweek, I've only so much time.

But also ... sometimes getting advance information ends up saving one the not inconsiderable time needed to test drive a project in a new DAW as one learns it. Sometimes you can learn something which lets you know you shouldn't bother.

For example, a while back I trialled Pianissimo in a simple project -- just that instrument, and really loved how it sounded. I bought it and crafted a piano part which I really liked.

I then returned to that project a few days later, adding a few pother VSTis. Had a great session, which involved a lot of careful automation of the other instruments. But when I again returned to the project a few days later, Pianissimo wouldn't open. That seemed odd, since in total I was using only a small fraction of my available RAM.

Research lead me to discover that due to the way Pianissimo is coded, it requires -- uniquely, in my experience with VSTis -- 512 MB of contiguous RAM, meaning basically, it has to be the first VSTi loaded into a project, each time you reopen it. Meaning that before you save and close, you have to remove the other VSTis, and when you resume, add them back in. And in my case, redo the automation. How uniquely, totally dysfunctional. Projects are meant to be cumulative endeavours, not something you have to reset each time.

Turns out this has been a longstanding issue; see this 5 year old post by Brother Charles

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10064

or the even older Amazon review

https://www.amazon.com/Acoustica-Pianis ... B001N9YIDM

and yet, to this day, if you go to the Pianissimo product page, there is no mention of this. There should be, because it's a fatal flaw (or put more kindly, a major feature). Yet it's something so obscure I'd never have thought to test, or even ask about. It's something you need to stumble upon, a classic gotcha. If I'd known about it at the outset, I never would have bought it, or even based a test project on it.

That's why it makes sense to ask around. My questions in my OP are about trying to learn about gotchas and deal-killers in advance, to save me time, because vendors don't always make things as clear as they should, nor can I think of every conceivable bug etc to ask about. It's therefore useful to ask semi-open-ended questions of users, as I've done here (which would seem to be a natural place to ask; don't quite understand the pusback from some of you) and elsewhere. It's just sensible caution.

Which in this case, for example, has flagged for me the need to check with Celemony whether my version of Melodyne will integrate with Mixcraft or not. If it doesn't, I will likely pass. Much faster for me to ask in advance than to install the demo of Mixcraft, read the manual, watch the video (which cannot be skimmed, so you have to watch it all and hope it answers your question).

So I don't apologise for these questions. Folks who dislike them are free to ignore them.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

There certainly no harm in asking questions before you jump in and if you get that 'showstopper' answer then clearly it'll be worth it but assuming you haven't, installing the trial is probably inevitable if you really need to know if Mixcraft will do what you need (though I get that time is also a factor).
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

SteveW wrote:There certainly no harm in asking questions before you jump in and if you get that 'showstopper' answer then clearly it'll be worth it but assuming you haven't, installing the trial is probably inevitable if you really need to know if Mixcraft will do what you need (though I get that time is also a factor).
Hi,

Steve makes a good point.

One man's gotcha is another man's nothingburger. Thousands of people use Pianissimo and don't run into the memory allocation problem. The only way to really know if Mixcraft will work well with your unique computer hardware / software configuration is to try it. That's why we offer a free trial.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Yep.

And as far as "pushback" goes, near as I can tell- the replies have all been attempts to be helpful, as is the general response you get in this forum.

As for my original reply, I suggested something to consider. I have no knowledge of the OP's experience or level, and vice-versa.
And why would I make a statement that discourages you from trying Mixcraft?
All I did was share the thought that many times, peoples problems with a DAW are not the software itself, but system configuration, resources, etc. If it doesn't apply, move to the next comment. Certainly no need to defend yourself.

I feel every users needs and desires vary enough that some questions are better answered by taking up the very generous offer of a free fully functioning trial of the standard version and see for your self. Its what I did and I am glad for it.

Why would the Pianissimo subject come up if no one reading your questions has ever experienced it? I've used it (since release) fairly often, don't recall ever having even a subtle issue with that.

I accept and welcome your questions personally, but it seems you don't want to accept the answers you are getting. I can only state I don't see any reason anyone here needs to apologize for their answers either. They are trying to help. And how many places get a response from staff so quickly, if even at all?

One common problem, and the reason I made the "aren't from around here" comment, is because many people enter this forum expecting the culture they find in other audio forums. One of the ones previously mentioned for instance...... :roll:
This forum tends to be far more friendly and helpful than people expect. Its one of the side benefits of being a Mixcraft user.

In addition, the company, staff and users tend to be far more communicative, interactive and helpful with the ongoing development of the program than any product I have ever experienced.

Mixcraft isn't perfect. No one here will deny that. There are some important things on my wish list for future versions. It is far more simple and intuitive than others I have tried. But it can not be the best solution for every user. Only one way to find out if its a fit for you IMO........
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

In regard to the Pianissimo memory allocation issue: Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio has a 64-bit version of Pianissimo.

We never made a 64-bit version of standalone Pianissimo, but you can download the 64-bit VST files and replace your existing VST files. That should help if you have a 64-bit host.
Dorpond

Post by Dorpond »

I have the latest Kontakt, Komplete Ultimate, and Komplete Control 88 - I have been having great success with Mixcraft, it ai have nothing else to compare it to unfortunately, since MC is the DAW I chose after trying all the trials out there.

MC just made sense, on so many levels, and I haven't really had any problems with it *knock on wood*.

I am super anal on where I invest my hard earned money, and what I discovered and liked about Mixcraft, is Acoustica's eagerness to make the product better and make sure any odd issues are quickly squished.

Great community!
lingyai

Post by lingyai »

Acoustica Greg wrote:
SteveW wrote:There certainly no harm in asking questions before you jump in and if you get that 'showstopper' answer then clearly it'll be worth it but assuming you haven't, installing the trial is probably inevitable if you really need to know if Mixcraft will do what you need (though I get that time is also a factor).
Hi,

Steve makes a good point.

One man's gotcha is another man's nothingburger. Thousands of people use Pianissimo and don't run into the memory allocation problem. The only way to really know if Mixcraft will work well with your unique computer hardware / software configuration is to try it. That's why we offer a free trial.

Greg
Greg, in your reply to Brother Charles, you wrote " As you probably already know, Pianissimo requires 250 megabytes of contiguous RAM, so if you've got a bunch of other plugins loading first you can run into the problem you're describing. Thanks for your detailed feedback! I've passed your message along to the software developer. Greg"

and tucked away under the Support section of this website is an ackoweldgement of the problem here

http://acoustica.com/kb/i-am-trying-to- ... _1153.html

No dismissive "nothingburger" language in either of those at statements at all. So you clearly are aware that it is a problem. Perhaps not for everyone, but for enough that y'all would have written these things to begin with. Unfortunately not nearly as conspicuoulsy as you should have, like on the product page.

Since you know it's a problem for some, why not look out for everyone, by giving them a head's up for what is a very unusual problem which they might not think to check? Here's how it could be phrased, right there on the product page, before you take people's money: "In some cases Pianissimo must be the first VSTi loaded in a project, every time the project opens. When demoing, be sure to check whther this is the case with your setup." Dead easy, no?

Is there a good reason not to do it? There's certainly room on that page for that short statement.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

lingyai wrote: Greg, in your reply to Brother Charles, you wrote " As you probably already know, Pianissimo requires 250 megabytes of contiguous RAM, so if you've got a bunch of other plugins loading first you can run into the problem you're describing. Thanks for your detailed feedback! I've passed your message along to the software developer. Greg"

and tucked away under the Support section of this website is an ackoweldgement of the problem here

http://acoustica.com/kb/i-am-trying-to- ... _1153.html

No dismissive "nothingburger" language in either of those at statements at all. So you clearly are aware that it is a problem. Perhaps not for everyone, but for enough that y'all would have written these things to begin with. Unfortunately not nearly as conspicuoulsy as you should have, like on the product page.

Since you know it's a problem for some, why not look out for everyone, by giving them a head's up for what is a very unusual problem which they might not think to check? Here's how it could be phrased, right there on the product page, before you take people's money: "In some cases Pianissimo must be the first VSTi loaded in a project, every time the project opens. When demoing, be sure to check whther this is the case with your setup." Dead easy, no?

Is there a good reason not to do it? There's certainly room on that page for that short statement.
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion!

Did you try my suggestion? Do the 64-bit Pianissimo files correct the problem for you?

Greg
lingyai

Post by lingyai »

Mark Bliss,

My responses, thanks and follow-up questions to some of the others' posts I think make it clear that I am taking those comments on board.

In your case, by saying that you know people who have no problems with Sonar and therefore suspect that the problem is with my PC, you were introducing a red herring without any firsthand knowledge of either topic, and I told you so.

My comments re Pianissimo were an example of something that happened to me, showing why it's good to ask stuff. It was part of my answer to the question, why don't I just try the software? It's plain to see in the post. The fact that it did not happen to you is irrelevant. Celebrate the fact that you're good to go.

Your "aren't from around here, are you?" comment somehow didn't come across as helpful or even remotely related to anything in this post, unless something was lost in translation.

I prefer to avoid any more meta-conversations if you don't mind.
lingyai

Post by lingyai »

Duplicate post
Last edited by lingyai on Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lingyai

Post by lingyai »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion!

Did you try my suggestion? Do the 64-bit Pianissimo files correct the problem for you?
Greg, I was just getting to replying. Thank you for those. I'm not at my music PC (which is 64 bit) but can try that tomorrow. Do I simply overwite the existing *.dll, *.dat and *.ini files with those in the zip file? Will I need to re-enter a serial (I shoiuld still have it somewhere) or something, or will it be good to go?

I guess I'll find out, but should this resolve the problem from the contiguous RAM issue? If I can use Pianissimo in multi-track projects without the issue I've described -- i.e., if I can use it like any other VSTi, and not have to owrry about whether it will reload without being the first VSTi loaded, each time -- that would be truly awesome becausde I love the sound and playability of the instrument -- it's better than pretty much all my Kontakt pianos -- but have never used it in projects since that problem crystalized.

The lack of a 64 bit standalone is not an issue as by definition the standalone (the 32 bit version of which works fine here) isn't involved in any multi-track project.
lingyai

Post by lingyai »

Duplicate post
Last edited by lingyai on Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Yes, just overwrite the existing files in the VST folder that has Pianissimo's VST files.

And of course, if you got Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio, you'd get the 64-bit version of Pianissimo anyway.

I will send your Pianissimo registration in a separate email in case you need it.

Greg
lingyai

Post by lingyai »

Greg,

After posting just now, I got an email from y'all: "If you haven't downloaded PIANISSIMO yet: DOWNLOAD PIANISSIMO HERE" (the all caps bit being a link) . And it has further instructions, and the registration ID and code.

Ok, that's really great, thanks for looking me up and sending that over.

Now, just to be sure I do this right:

-- should I uninstall my existing 32-bit version?
-- where do the three files in the 64-bit version's zip file, which you provided the link to in your post above, fit into the process? Are those three files the same as what I get when I click the "DOWNLOAD PIANISSIMO HERE" link in the email which just came?

Thanks again.