Stand alone PC, or general PC

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

MikeDVI

Stand alone PC, or general PC

Post by MikeDVI »

Hi all, this is probably a worn out topic, but I am a MX8 PRO user, my computer shares MC with other interests as I am sure many of yours do. The system is more than adequate and runs well. (Core 7, 3.4 ghz, 16 gig ram, WIN 7-64 bit, yada yada)

My deal is I share this system with general PC stuff like finance software and gaming, and of course browsing. I continuously beat myself up that I really should purchase a separate stand alone machine for the music stuff and leave the gaming etc on this machine. I do have dual internal drivers for a RAID type backup and an external backup as well dedicated to MX - so every session before I shutdown, backups are done on two separate drives.

Again, no issues in operation other than an occasional BSOD due to a (possible) video driver issue I am trying to get straightened out, but it is just on my mind. A dedicated machine seems like where I "should" be.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
MX10.5 Pro Studio B 586. Presonus 1818vsl AI, Dell XPS 8930 Core I9-9900 3.10 GHz, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 64-GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 2060, 1 and 2 TB SSD’s + 1 and 2 TB spinner sata’s, cookies and coffee.
AHornsby

Re: Stand alone PC, or general PC

Post by AHornsby »

Even a new computer has a lot of overhead flashed onto it already.

Important too is where you are going to use it. A mean-and-clean dedicated computer in its own 'production' space would be ideal.

So, if you are forced into using the space you already use for other things, I'd say that as long as you keep your drive defragged and have plenty of RAM/HDD capacity plus the speed enough to breath, it really wouldn't be necessary.

Flip a coin. :D
MikeDVI

Post by MikeDVI »

Well that little pat on the back was about all I needed, again this probably falls into the category of if it ain't broke don't fix it! True, music is really one of many interests, too many sometimes...lol, and fretting (no pun intended) over something like this is probably not worth the time.

Thanks!
MX10.5 Pro Studio B 586. Presonus 1818vsl AI, Dell XPS 8930 Core I9-9900 3.10 GHz, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 64-GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 2060, 1 and 2 TB SSD’s + 1 and 2 TB spinner sata’s, cookies and coffee.
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

I'm a hobbyist so my machine is multi use. I can imagine having a dedicated space and machine for my music in the future but for now I'm good. It's so easy to get caught in the trap of what people insist you need and what you can actually get by with. I'm in the camp you mentioned, if it aint broke don't fix it!

M
MikeDVI

Post by MikeDVI »

I think a lot of my mischief stems from the fact that like many, I was a professional musician for many years and feel like I should still be dedicated to it in that manner and it alone. And let's factor in a little G. A. S. too right....

But yes real life and other interests come along, I'm glad I'm not the only one recording one minute and gaming the next.

Thanks for the chatter!

Mike